Please review my site so far

lukoot

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm building my first website more so for family and friends and enjoying learning as i go so please take a look at what i have done thus far and give me your opinion and advice good or bad it will be taken on board this is all new to me so any advice is really appreciated
thanks www.toontech-support.co.cc

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
WOW!

For a first atempt that is not half bad.

Remember to check how it looks on other peoples browsers using Broswershots.org.

Aside from that easily corrected problem of the background not quite in line with the body it looks very professional, well done.

lukoot

Reaction score
thank you cybrax i wasn't expecting that i will have a look at fixing the alignment i think i know what you mean because it looks a bit off when i view it on my screen but it seems to look ok when i view it from a different computer with smaller screen but thanks again for viewing my site for me
oh and thanks for that browser site i didn't know about that

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Your site looks good. But at the top on left looks strange. Your slogan is also good.
cheers

lukoot

Reaction score
thanks vishal2 yeah the top left did look strange to me at first but its kind of grew on me now
i would like to make the body a bit wider when i workout how to i will have to look into it
thanks for your input of my site

Last edited:

lukoot

Reaction score
hi
i have changed a few things around on my site and i am looking for some feed back on these points if you would take the time to look and comment i would be very gratefully
1 - other than a logo what would you say was missing or i could add to my site
2 - when i used the W3C markup validation tool there where 38 errors how would i go about correcting them
thanks in advance for any replies

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
To fix the errors, just follow the advice that the validator gives you. Most of the time it will be a simple missing tag or something.
Other than that, your site has improved and all I can say is that it just needs time to develop with some more pages and info.

lukoot

Reaction score
thanks for the the advice lemon-tree
one thing though when i look to validate the errors and check my html code everything looks ok where the validator says there is a error there dosnt seem to be in my coding

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I just tried your site in the validator. The first thing you should do is add a doctype to the top of the page, as this will get rid of quite a few errors.
e.g.
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
If you need help understanding what it means, try turning on 'Verbose output'.

lukoot

Reaction score
very interesting
i tried one doctype and it gave me more errors but less warnings so i tried another and all i had was two errors but when i viewed my site it was disfigured so i will keep trying and read as much as i can i really have so much to learn

debfree10

Reaction score
Every thing looks good since it is your first attempt. I would like to suggest you create a logo for your website that will definitely spruce up the appearance of your website a bit further.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Just curious, which browser are you testing on? I know IE has some odd rendering when using certain doctypes.

Last edited:

lukoot

Reaction score
thanks debfree10 I'm going to be working on a logo soon i just keep getting side tracked because there is so much to learn
yeah lemon-tree I'm using IE8 i could download fire fox and give that a try

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Definitely get Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera. IE is a train wreck of a browser and trying to design a cross-browser site in it is hopeless.

lukoot

Reaction score
thanks I'm going to download chrome now and give it a try
i know that DOCTYPE frameset or transitional both work on my site without disfiguring my template although they do reduce the text size but i will go take a look through the eyes of chrome and see how things look
thanks for the information Ive got so much to learn

Edit: lol just installed chrome and went to my website and guess what.... the text was small just like it looked when i added the DOCTYPE so i guess now that there is at least one validation error i can fix now
also i cant believe how fast my site loaded compared to IE8

Last edited:

lukoot

Reaction score
ok in IE my site looks ok and i can edit it
in google chrome my site looks ok but i can not edit the font or font size dont know why
in firefox i can edit it but at the top of my site it looks out of line a bit

lukoot

Reaction score
as i am using the x10 reptile site builder i have just been changing text font and size using the drop down box in the site editor but i am not able to do that through the chrome browser but i have just looked at my html code and realised i can change it in there using x-small,small,medium and so on so i can use chrome after all i just got to stop being lazy
one thing i have noticed though is my code looks a bit messy to me here is the code from the top line of my home page what do you think

<p><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Impact,helvetica,sans-serif;"><span style="font-size: x-large;"><span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms,helvetica,sans-serif;"><span style="color: #405558;"><strong><span style="font-size: x-large;"><span style="font-family: Tahoma,helvetica,sans-serif;">Welcome to toontech-support

thanks for your input lemon-tree i appreciate it

Last edited: