Please Review my site.

himynameiskellie83

Reaction score
Hey guys, could you please have a look over my site. I want it to be short, straight to the point. Is there anything you would change.

htt://kwdesigns.pcriot.com/

I have a 404's in the Two Storey Residence Link. I don't know why?

Thankyou

adam_chisnall55

Reaction score
Well, we've all got to start somewhere! I'd spent a little more time on the design before I started to fill in the pages.

Sit yourself down and create one perfect blank page and then implement your website into it.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, in Google Chrome, at least, the links go to white-on-white on hover -- that's probably not the effect you wanted. I can't find the sub_floor page -- you have to keep in mind that the file system on Linux is case-sensitive, so it may be a misplaced capital letter (or even just a misspelling), so check your filenames carefully. It took a while for me to figure out that the script text was the current page indicator -- it looked rather like the left-hand navigation didn't finish loading. I'd suggest either extending the black background all the way down the left-hand side of the page or finding a different way to indicate the current page.

The design, as a whole, actually isn't too bad at all, but those two usability hiccups really detract from the overall impression. Fix them (and that doesn't take a lot) and the whole gestalt of the site changes for the better.

himynameiskellie83

Reaction score
Well, in Google Chrome, at least, the links go to white-on-white on hover -- that's probably not the effect you wanted. I can't find the sub_floor page -- you have to keep in mind that the file system on Linux is case-sensitive, so it may be a misplaced capital letter (or even just a misspelling), so check your filenames carefully. It took a while for me to figure out that the script text was the current page indicator -- it looked rather like the left-hand navigation didn't finish loading. .

Yeah thanks alot, I defiantly don't like my links.. they have to change so you can see them once the cursor is over them.

All 404's are fixed up, but for the projects. I'm still adding pages as my portfolio greatens.

The left hand navigation background is set to white, that may be the reason as to why it didn't load. lol. but yes, i will have to make it more obvious that it is the navigation bar.

Still a prototype and still developing. For some reason the .jpgs seem to download a little slow. but overall im happy.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Images need to be scaled to size before being used, not squashed to fit inside the page. It's not your fault, many before you have been caught by this recurring problem that continues to plauge all beginners. What you see ON screen is often not what's IN the screen.

http://kwdesigns.pcriot.com/Picture_RMIT_Building1.jpg
1,259px × 710px (scaled to 292px × 167px)

This is probably the biggest culprit though several others could do with minor tweeking. The logo/ banner is also larger than it needs to be, solid blocks of colour are better handled by using CSS rather than a big image and this will contribute to first time visitors experiencing slow loading of the landing page.

Not a bad start overall, code a little scrappy in places but that's hardly critical. Though did find odd fragment.. Did you remove a page counter? because there is a hidden backlink in the page http://www.easycounter.com/FreeCounter3.html

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Images need to be scaled to size before being used, not squashed to fit inside the page. It's not your fault, many before you have been caught by this recurring problem that continues to plauge all beginners. What you see ON screen is often not what's IN the screen.

http://kwdesigns.pcriot.com/Picture_RMIT_Building1.jpg
1,259px × 710px (scaled to 292px × 167px)

Definitely the above thing should be done.
You can see that otherwise the site is pretty quick.Design wise,the site is OK with the way it wants to present the information.
But if you want an eye catching stuff,you need flash or jscript accordion menus and sliders where you present information.
Currently it is ok.
Take care of the image specified.
Regards,
VVBB