Please suggest me a good photo host.

nandifamily

Reaction score
Well, for some years, I have been hosting my photo gallery at nandi.photoape.com. I am really tired of their service and wish to move now.
I have tried flickr, photobucket, picasa but the amount of photos I have greatly exceeds their overall limits. I have over 25gigs of pictures alone while the sites above dont allow me to store more than 1 gig.
What I want is a photo gallery hosting site which is free and unlimited, maybe only has a per photo size limit. I cannot go for paid services as I have no money of my own.
I hope u guys will help me in this.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Mediafire is a file hosting service, but it also has a photo gallery feature: http://www.mediafire.com/

Learn about the Image Gallery on the Tour: http://www.mediafire.com/tour.php

It doesn't have any storage limits, just an individual file size limit of 200 MB, which should be enough for a photo. No bandwidth limits either or download wait times.

You can upload up to 500 images at once in bulk.

Last edited:

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
b sure to make a rar r zip file containing all your pictures before uploading it to mediafire cause they dont give option to dowload the folder containing more than 1pic nd then it will b very frustrating 2 download each n every pic separately.

nandifamily

Reaction score
@techairlines: thanks. but if i have a public image gallery, will it start showing the images in gallery mode by default to guests? or do they have to click some link to view in gallery mode?

@snshusat: thanks. but regarding the number of photos i have in an album, the zip file can exceed 200mb. so i cant upload it. :(

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
it will take u a whole day to upload those pics. btw you can divide the file in pieces if you use winrar but if you dont wanna have those pics back in ur computer again then it is useless

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Why not host it yourself?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
how can he host. very high speed connection is needed for that.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
You are aware that this is the community site for a web hosting company, right?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
You are aware that this is the community site for a web hosting company, right?

Are you suggesting he store 25G worth of photos on his free x10hosting account?

nandifamily

Reaction score
R U GUYS GONNA KILL ME?
Cmon, the amount of users I get and the CPU usage that is gonna generate is sure gonna suspend my account. I will lose both my images and reputation.
SO I WANT A DIFFERENT PLACE TO HOST!

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
SHARKY, go stand at the corner. :)

Add: make more than 1 account on picassa, photobucket and other sites.

Last edited:

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
You could set up an old computer and use that as a web server with some dynamic DNS client....?

I did that once, but it was killing my (only) laptop being on 24/7....so I came to x10!

nandifamily

Reaction score
I live in an institution where my internet connection is proxied.
And making 25 accounts for 25gigs of storage is a pain.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
no pain, give username like nandifamily1, nandifamily2, nandifamily3 and so and same password. use tittbit for email address. in this way you can easily create accounts.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
You really aren't going to find a good solution to this issue without spending money on a premium account on Flickr or Picasa etc. Giving away 1GB free is manageable for an image host due to advertising income etc, but giving away 25GB for free is just not economically viable due to the cost of storage versus the income they can expect from advertising alone on those images. Therefore, a paid account is used to subsidise the costs of the disk space and this is why you are not going to find a good image host that offers unlimited storage and a good interface etc for free.
If you do find one that does offer it for free, you should look carefully at the terms of use as it may be that you are allowing them to sell or distribute your images when you upload them. Besides, taking Flickr's pro account as an example, $2 a month is extremely reasonable for unlimited images and if you cannot scrounge up that much then how can you expect the hosting companies to want to support your 25GB of photos?

Edit: Also, whilst multiple accounts may sound like a good idea to start with, you'll quickly find that it is more hassle than it's worth. For 25GB of photos you'll be juggling 25 accounts (assuming each account has 1GB, some image hosts have an image limit instead), requiring repetitive logging in and out just to maintain control over the collection. With the inevitable expansion of your photo library, it'll very quickly become unwieldy and a confusing mess of images all over the place.

Last edited:

nandifamily

Reaction score
oh lemon tree, one guy suggested mediafire file hosting's image galleries. if anyone has used it, plz tell me how it works n performs.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

mainly i want to get a review of it.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
oh lemon tree, one guy suggested mediafire file hosting's image galleries. if anyone has used it, plz tell me how it works n performs.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

mainly i want to get a review of it.

I have used MediaFire.

Signup for a free account.

Click Upload.

Use Ctrl Select to batch upload up to 500 images at once.

After you upload them, you can set them private but they are public by default. You can also password protect them.

Move all photos into their own folder so you can share them as a batch.

At the top right, there is an option to view in Image Gallery mode.

EXAMPLE: Here's my sample photo gallery: http://www.mediafire.com/techairsample
Click Image Gallery at the top right.

You can also set custom URLs for folder galleries so its easier to access.

And as I mentioned in the first post, unlimited total space and bandwidth.

Last edited:

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
dunno bout gallery but i had used mediafire file hosting nd its very nice