Please suggest me a good photo host.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
R U GUYS GONNA KILL ME?
Cmon, the amount of users I get and the CPU usage that is gonna generate is sure gonna suspend my account. I will lose both my images and reputation.
SO I WANT A DIFFERENT PLACE TO HOST!

Hosting images doesn't take CPU usage, only running PHP scripts does.

Also, remember that the free plans comes with unlimited space and b/w so it should be no issues.

Some popular scripts for image galleries is http://coppermine-gallery.net/

Also, I used to use this some year ago: http://www.dezinerfolio.com/dfgallery-2/free-flash-gallery, it was quite nice

nandifamily

Reaction score
the main reason i dont wanna host my galleries on my own because the scripts will use lots of resources while resizing images. corey will be able to tell better if he is gonna allow this without suspension.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

@techairlines: is there a way in mediafire such that the files load with gallery mode by default on certain folders.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
the main reason i dont wanna host my galleries on my own because the scripts will use lots of resources while resizing images. corey will be able to tell better if he is gonna allow this without suspension.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

@techairlines: is there a way in mediafire such that the files load with gallery mode by default on certain folders.

Unfortunately, I don't there is an option to do that. I'll go check around now.

charlie91

Reaction score
Why not just reduce the file sizes of your JPG's? A 1 MB photo, e.g., can be reduced (scaled down) to about 30 kB in a few clicks (I'm using GIMP, a free photo editing software)! One GB is more than enough to fit the images.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Why not just reduce the file sizes of your JPG's? A 1 MB photo, e.g., can be reduced (scaled down) to about 30 kB in a few clicks (I'm using GIMP, a free photo editing software)! One GB is more than enough to fit the images.
Compression on that level will be significantly noticeable. If you've spent the time composing and post-processing a shot then compressing it that much will lose all of the detail and intricacies that you've worked so hard to achieve.
I just tried it, an 18 MegaPixel JPG compresses down from ~7 MB to ~700KB with the most aggressive JPG compression ratio and frankly it looks horrendous, the colour detail is lost and there are noticeable artefacts; two things you don't really want others to see when you are showing them your photos. Also, even then it has failed to reach the ratio of input image to output image that you suggested (1000KB -> 30KB), so it isn't an at all practical solution.

Last edited:

nandifamily

Reaction score
ok. i will use mediafire now and notify u of the details later. long way to go.

and techairlines, thank u soo much. and ur gallery was so cool!