Point subdomain to hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidhosti

Reaction score
How can i point a subdomain e.g something.website.com to my hosting account. Im on free hosting (xo2) and in my domains control panel i created an A record to 198.91.81.4. Is this the right way to do it?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
That should work but you're not using the forums account associated with your hosting account, so I cannot confirm the server IP address you are using. You need to add an entry under add-on domain so it's recognised by the server here (you're not the only person on the server, so it needs to know where to point the request)

sidhosti

Reaction score
sorry my hosting account is joshfx12 and domain is burden.joshf.co.uk

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Your account is on xo2, with the IP 192.91.81.4

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
How can i point a subdomain e.g something.website.com to my hosting account. Im on free hosting (xo2) and in my domains control panel i created an A record to 198.91.81.4. Is this the right way to do it?
sorry my hosting account is joshfx12 and domain is burden.joshf.co.uk
I am not sure what you are trying to do...
domain [ joshf.co.uk ] is on a other host - not your x10hosting free-hosting account
with a DNS A records with IPs of [ 192.30.252.153 ] and [ 192.30.252.154 ]
and a DNS NS records with nameservers of [ ns2.123-reg.co.uk ] and [ ns.123-reg.co.uk ]

so IF (big if) your are trying to use domain [ joshf.co.uk ] with your x10hosting free-hosting account
see --> [ https://x10hosting.com/wiki/How_to_Use_Your_Own_Domain ]

Disclaimer - As a customer of x10hosting - I am NOT affiliated with x10Hosting in any other way

Last edited:

sidhosti

Reaction score
The root domain is joshf.co.uk which points to github, as x10hosting don't allow shell or git. My site is generated with octopress
I want to point a sub domain (burden.joshf.co.uk) to x10hosting and use that as a parked domain. This is for a part of the site written in PHP which GitHub doesn't execute.
I think everyone is trying to over complicate matters!

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
You should be fine with that set up. I have something similar, kinda - I have some stuff pointing to x10premium, some to x10vps, gmail, and...something else that I don't use so have forgotten about!! It's actually a simple set up - low maintenance.

Don't forget, as a customer of x10hosting, bdistler is NOT affiliated with x10Hosting in any other way!

sidhosti

Reaction score
Back to the original problem I can't add the domain in cpanel

Error is about not being associated with name servers

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Back to the original problem I can't add the domain in cpanel
Error is about not being associated with name servers
x10hosting has changed the requirements for free-hosting accounts - you need to set the DNS (Domain Name System) [ NS ] records to x10hosting's nameservers (ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com) for all [ addon ] or [ parked ] domains - instead of DNS [ A ] record - before you can add them in cPanel (not x10hosting Basic)

The only way I've found to do this...

At you domain provider's (registrar's) Web site - write down your current DNS [ NS ] records

At your domain provider's (registrar's) Web site - change DNS [NS] record to the ones for x10hosting
you need to be sure both (2) are entered - and only these two (2)

x10hosting's free-hosting DNS [ NS ] records
[ ns1.x10hosting.com. ]
[ ns2.x10hosting.com. ]

There will be a propagation delay for the change to work through the Internet - up to 48+ hours - but most of the time far less

After the delay - in cPanel (not x10hosting Basic) add the parked or add-on domain

AFTER the parked or add-on domain is working

At you domain provider's (registrar's) Web site - change DNS [ NS ] record back to the one you wrote down

At you domain provider's (registrar's) Web site - Set the DNS [ A ] record to your x10hosting's free-hosting server's [ IP ]

There will be a propagation delay for the change to work through the Internet

Last edited:

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
will I can not 'edit' my last post....
EDIT: now it lets me edit

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's the only way. Unless the system here can verify that the nameservers have been set (proving that you control the domain and can set the nameservers setting to x10's nameservers), it won't let you park or add the domain. But you don't want to leave the authoritative entry for the domain to be resolved here.

Status
Not open for further replies.