Port 80

Wizet

Reaction score
When your isp has disabled port 80 is there another way to enable it without your isp knowing about it?

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Not that I am aware of, no.
What are you wanting to do that requires port 80 to be open??

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not that I am aware of, no.
What are you wanting to do that requires port 80 to be open??

Port 80 is used for web hosting. Are you trying to setup a server Wizet?

dbojan

Reaction score
Maybe you need to check your router. It's proboably not because of your ISP. Find something about port forwarding for your router.
I have also done that when i was setting up my no-ip adress.

Wizet

Reaction score
Port 80 is used for web hosting. Are you trying to setup a server Wizet?
I am trying to set up a web server using my laptop.

Maybe you need to check your router. It's proboably not because of your ISP. Find something about port forwarding for your router.
I have also done that when i was setting up my no-ip adress.
Um. I hate to say this but I don't have a router...

Wizet

Reaction score
If your ISP blocked port 80 (HTTP), accessing the Internet would be impossible.
I'm talking about making a web server the kind of port 80.

maybe set your server to serv to another port, say 8080
I dont like that because in no-ip some how when I port 80 redirect it some how changes back in my ip address and I dont like the advertisements on the bottom.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
You can't set up a personal server (available on the internet) without port forwarding, if you are on a LAN.
If your ISP blocked port 80 (HTTP), accessing the Internet would be impossible.
When ISPs block a port, they only block new incoming connection. They let is through if you initiated the connection (i.e. by typing an address in the browser)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Your ISP is most likely blocking incoming Port 80 HTTP requests. This happens on anything that isn't business class service. If anything,set up your web server to use another port such as port 85, and use a Port 80 Redirect to port 85 with a Dynamic DNS provider such as Dyndns.com or no-ip and since many modems have NAT routers built into them (DSL modems are well known for this, cable modems have them too so check!) you may need to port forward. I can help you with this as I've ran a home server before.

Basically:

1: Set your PC's firewall to allow connections to port 85.

2: Verify that any modems/routers you are hooked up to are not using NAT. If they are, you must assign your PC a static IP address for the local network, and then create a port forward rule. DO NOT USE THE DMZ!!! IT IS MADE FOR ONLY TEMPORARY USE AS WELL AS FOR SOME GAMING USES ONLY.

3: Create and set up the web server and set it to listen for requests on port 85. Make sure it runs as a System Service!

4: Register and set up a Dynamic DNS host address. Once the account is created, you can have your PC check every few hours to make sure your IP matches the same as in the DNS records, and if it is changed, it will update it. Additionally, some modems and many routers can do this for you as well. Some do it automatically every time the IP changes and some require the user to do it manually.

5: Open up Command Prompt/Terminal/Console and ping your newly created web server. The latency should be 1ms or less and it should resolve to your Public WAN IP address. A ping will show all of this data

6: Visit a proxy site and visit your website via the proxy to make sure it works. Also, have a friend load it up as well to make sure it works.

I can post up more detailed instructions if you need help as well.

Last edited:

Wizet

Reaction score
Ah. I finally figured out how to do it. But there is a problem by the way. When I open up the cmd and use my domain name which is run by no-ip included it goes to another ip which is 72.5.169.70. That is not my ip address. Also when that happens the ms skyrockets to the 100s. But when I use my ip address it goes to 1ms. Weird.

Here is an another problem. When I use my domain which is run by no-ip it quickly transfers over to my ip address and port. I don't want that happening because I don't want to risk my computer from being hacked or DDoSed.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Ah. I finally figured out how to do it. But there is a problem by the way. When I open up the cmd and use my domain name which is run by no-ip included it goes to another ip which is 72.5.169.70. That is not my ip address. Also when that happens the ms skyrockets to the 100s. But when I use my ip address it goes to 1ms. Weird.

Here is an another problem. When I use my domain which is run by no-ip it quickly transfers over to my ip address and port. I don't want that happening because I don't want to risk my computer from being hacked or DDoSed.

When it uses your IP address, it will ping your router/gateway as that is what is holding your Public WAN address. The 100's of MS might be going to an IP block by your ISP that is nation wide. If you don't want No-IP always syncing your IP address, just close out the updater before it syncs up the IP or do it manually.

Wizet

Reaction score
x.x.... Brain electricity just died out from reading that... Uh... details?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
x.x.... Brain electricity just died out from reading that... Uh... details?

OK, I'll explain. When you have residential service, 99% of the time unless your ISP is special, you will have a Dynamic IP address which can change at any time, whether the modem loses the connection, either sync wise or auithentication wise, or if the network just decides to change it. Now, in the case of my ISP Verizon, they have IP blocks assigned per area from what I've seen. Now, your ISP may be a different case, but if the IP address assigned to the No-IP account's name is not your IP address but used to be your WAN IP address, it was probably assigned to someone else wherever and had to go over your ISP's network to get to that connection, which adds latency. When you updated the No-IP record for your IP, if your IP had changed from the old assigned IP, the new IP now points to your connection. Since your modem/router is holding your WAN IP address, it will now route to your modem/router instead of going through the network and out, as your modem/router uses NAT, and it sees that it owns the IP in which the data has to go to.

So simply said, if your IP changes, the request for data will go to wherever your old IP was assigned to. When the account syncs, your network will see that it owns that address and will try to route it someplace inside your network. In this case, since your network once the No-IP account was updated saw that it owned the IP, the ping you sent was received by your router, and your router replied back.

And on the updater park, since No-IP has an updater program that runs on startup (preference), it will probably try to sync up your new IP address with your account. Pretty much, you can set that to do it either manually, or you can keep the program from opening when the PC starts.

Wizet

Reaction score
Well my ip address has never changed in months so I think I should be okay.

808solutions

Reaction score
try port fowarding your router to double check if its your ISP, also disable any firewall during the setup of your server...this is only a suggestion because i have also had similar problems if that does work try checking your if your main ip is 192.168.0.1 cause if it is that could also cause similar problems and you need to change it to 192.168.1.1
anyone else have suggestions?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Well my ip address has never changed in months so I think I should be okay.

Hmm, ok then. I wonder what was up with the high ping you reported then unless you entered in the ping address wrong. Seeing as though you are in New York City, your ISP is either going to be Verizon (they block port 80) or Time Warner Cable, or Cablevison (both of which block 80 as well). Just a bit of a side note.