Private Messages Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I have disabled private messages until we can put some restrictions on them due to the recent PM spam.

-Corey

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks Corey. I never got any PMs, but it sure is helping keep the people PMing bad pictures out :)

Kansy

Community Advocate
Community Support
Prime Account
Reaction score
Yes... I suffered it xDDDD

And the image... If they do spam they could do it well.. not that ()/&%$·$

But then they will be also banned...

;)

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Hey Corey, isn't there a way in vBulletin that you can restrict the PM abilities of users until they reach * amount of posts, or some feature/mod that will only allow them to PM the admins and moderators until they reach a certain post count?

Last edited:

Daniel S

Reaction score
I have never had any problem

(I never have any pm's any lol)

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey Corey, isn't there a way in vBulletin that you can restrict the PM abilities of users until they reach * amount of posts, or some feature/mod that will only allow them to PM the admins and moderators until they reach a certain post count?

Yes, we'll probably install this mod.
We'll update this thread later with more information.

konekt

Reaction score
I plan on coding my own PM system sometimes in the future using php and mysql (it is for a firefox extension, so I can't use any pre-written ones). I understand that you may not be able to reveal too much for security reasons, but I was wondering if you can tell us whether or not this was a SQL-injection attack? Once it is fixed, would you be able to tell us how it was done?

One of my main concerns with the system is that I will overlook some injection approach, so I keep an eye out for things like this to make sure I can prevent it.

Last edited:

sknny95759

Reaction score
Thanks Corey. I appreciate that bc I just got my very first PM which I deleted like about an hour ago bc of the poirnograghic subjuct matter.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Private messaging has been re-enabled. There is now a minimum post count of 3 before being able to send a PM to regular members.

People with a post count of 0 can still PM staff.

-Corey

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
This was not an SQL attack. It was just some user, most likely using a macro script that sent out PMs to users from the forums. Most likely got the names from our memberlist.

The limit PMs before X posts reach is not built into vB. It is a separate mod that can be found on vbulletin.org

-Corey

margaret

Reaction score
Thanks Corey good to see restrictions in place till its sorted. first pm i have had but quickly deleted it, dont need that sort of smut on a decent site like this

Jesse

Reaction score
Yeah i recieved PM of advertising some adult site for Dolly Darling. Goodluck Corey.

tibblian

Reaction score
Wow. I'm not so pleased lmao.. Especially because this was a really pitiful attempt at spamming. GJ on banning the user(s) and adding the PM restriction :)

konekt

Reaction score
This was not an SQL attack. It was just some user, most likely using a macro script that sent out PMs to users from the forums. Most likely got the names from our memberlist.

The limit PMs before X posts reach is not built into vB. It is a separate mod that can be found on vbulletin.org

-Corey
Thank you very much.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, I knew I was right about the mods! Thanks Corey.

kkenny

Reaction score
Thanks for this addition Corey :)
Hope this destroys some spam on X10 :)

hottroxx

Reaction score
Thanks Corey.
Being new to x10, I was shocked to see spam of such a nature.
It's good to know that you're on top of these things so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.