Problem uploading, disk quota exceeded, it says but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

decoderx

Reaction score
Hi all
a couple of days ago I tried to upload a file but I was presented with a disk quota exceeded error. At that time I was using little more than 500Mb but I deleted some files which I didn't need anymore to see if I could solve the problem. The disk usage amount in CPanel didn't change after I deleted the files and I'm still not able to upload. I cleaned the browser cache, too. The problem verifies also if I click the 'settings' and 'change theme' links in CPanel. Though the site works.
Someone else got the same problem, but it was due to cron mistakenly creating files. Please help with this if you can.
Thanks

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi decoderx,

We have recently implemented a global server-wide limit on the number of files that an account can have, for security reasons, of 50,000. It seems your account currently contains a total of approximately 132,000 files.

I've investigated further as to where these files are stored, and it appears that nearly all of these files are located in the form of emails. You seem to have 131,800 emails stored in your account - most which appear to be emails from failed cron jobs from 2012. Please could you delete these emails? This should resolve the quota issues. :)

Thank you,

decoderx

Reaction score
Hi Dead-i
first of all thanks for your assistance. You were right, I have finally got my correct quota ;). I have a question, though. I checked from CPanel and it seems to me that no job is listed in the crontab, so how it's possible that so many files were generated ? Also I never set up an email account, at least for what I remember.
Keep up the great work

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi decoderx,

From what I saw in your mail directory prior to its deletion, it appears that the emails were very old, some of which from 2012. These emails might be from a cronjob that you were running back then, as I didn't see any recent emails there. ;)

When a cron job is executed, if there are any errors in doing so (or any output), cPanel tries to be helpful and emails the result to your "main" email account, which is why many people pipe to /dev/null. :)

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.