Problem with uploading images on wordpress

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not the issue. Considering we don't use Apache...

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Then what is this on my control panel? - Apache version2.2.25

IMO - like other bits of data on cPanel - it is a error...

x10hosting's free-hosting servers run with [ LiteSpeed ]
you can read about it at --> [ http://www.litespeedtech.com/ ]

you will see LiteSpeed in the return-header from you 'site'
and if you use PHP in var $_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE']

retiredk

Reaction score
IMO - like other bits of data on cPanel - it is a error...

x10hosting's free-hosting servers run with [ LiteSpeed ]
you can read about it at --> [ http://www.litespeedtech.com/ ]

you will see LiteSpeed in the return-header from you 'site'
and if you use PHP in var $_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE']

Outstanding! Thanks, was unaware that x10 was using the drop in. Prefer coding with Apache but every thing is grand so it's cool. Explains why fopen() and some curl options are unavailable. Gave you a thumbs up but changed it to the useful one since I can only give you one or the other according to the forum but you deserve both. Thanks again.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Outstanding! Thanks, was unaware that x10 was using the drop in. Prefer coding with Apache but every thing is grand so it's cool. Explains why fopen() and some curl options are unavailable. Gave you a thumbs up but changed it to the useful one since I can only give you one or the other according to the forum but you deserve both. Thanks again.

Fopen and most curl options should be available... It might be getting blocked by the firewall though, if you're trying to curl off a non standard port (read: not 80 or 443)

Also I reread the linked article you posted and the issue is similar, and has to do with memory exhaustion. I was in a rush before and didn't fully read it. Sorry about that.

retiredk

Reaction score
Thanks leafypiggy... will re-run some script later to check. Busy with other email but appreciate the reply. Nice to see great support throughout the night , now GO TO SLEEP lol

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks leafypiggy... will re-run some script later to check. Busy with other email but appreciate the reply. Nice to see great support throughout the night , now GO TO SLEEP lol

Haha its 6:55 AM here in Boston. I'm about to hop in a shower and go to work at 7:30. The joys of working at a college help desk.

jlljljx1

Reaction score
Hi, any updates on this issue? I'm experiencing it since last week. I'm on the 'absolut' server.

Last edited:

alagator28

Reaction score
I have the same problem with Wordpress 3.8.1. With certain images - NOT ALL, it will begin uploading, get to a certain percentage (always the same) and then show http error. The size of the images aren't any bigger (and in some cases quite a bit smaller) than others which work. I've tried the following without success:
  • Tried renaming .jpg to .png.
  • Disabled as many plugins as possible without affecting woocommerce functionality.
  • Tried adding code to .htaccess file (shown above and on other forums).
  • Tried Nextgen Gallery. Same upload percentage, fails.
  • Tried the same image on another Wordpress site I have (still on version 3.3.1) and it works fine.
Any ideas?

Update... Turns out it was an issue with my filenames containing an apostrophe '. Try renaming your files, see what happens.

pasquine

Reaction score
We're having the same issue, which led us to think it was a problem with the php memory. We keep monitoring it however and it will not go above 40mb which is below the limit on free hosting.

Every time we add a jpeg it says HTTP error, pngs upload, say they have a 0x0 width and height, but the site crashes until we remove all plugins. But again if we use any combination of them it crashes, despite not being pass the limit.

iammario

Reaction score
There's nothing us users can do except switch hosts, which was a perfectly acceptable solution for me. If you can't wait, switch hosts while they resolve this issue.

I'm still using x10 for my own projects, because I treasure their reliability. "Free" hosting has its costs though! Just wait, and there are work-arounds, although they wont work for all situations. I appreciate the work that has already been put into this problem.

Last edited:

ygweblog

Reaction score
Wordpress is already uploading my images but isn't creating thumbnails. Weird, but that's better than nothing.

m0ldyy

Reaction score
I hope this gets fixed soon because I'm trying to get my business website working correctly.

NextGen worked but I don't want to use it because when I add captions under my images it messed up the formatting of the thumbnails so they don't look aligned properly.

The "Gallery" plugin isn't working for me either. Anyone know of a good gallery plugin alternative to NexGen?

webbrewe

Reaction score
In one case, I confirmed this was a problem with the auto update to 3.8.1 borking image meta data in the database and preventing the image resize routine from running. Nothing to do with the host. There's a plug in fix listed here which worked in this case:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/no-dimensions-for-new-images-3?replies=10#post-5182755
Try it at your own risk.
Based on a number of different symptoms being reported at the wp.org forum, there may be other issues involved so I suggest users post a question there. It might help isolate the root cause too if everyone here with a problem says when the problem started:
After 3.8.1 auto update?
After 3.8.1 manual update?
None of the above?

Note also the thread at wp.org linked to by an earlier poster is 2 years old so not sure if it's applicable in this case.

Last edited:

iammario

Reaction score
I am on 3.8.0. The auto-update fails for me. I don't think it's a problem with that.

ygweblog

Reaction score
In one case, I confirmed this was a problem with the auto update to 3.8.1 borking image meta data in the database and preventing the image resize routine from running. Nothing to do with the host. There's a plug in fix listed here which worked in this case:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/no-dimensions-for-new-images-3?replies=10#post-5182755
Try it at your own risk.
Based on a number of different symptoms being reported at the wp.org forum, there may be other issues involved so I suggest users post a question there. It might help isolate the root cause too if everyone here with a problem says when the problem started:
After 3.8.1 auto update?
After 3.8.1 manual update?
None of the above?

Note also the thread at wp.org linked to by an earlier poster is 2 years old so not sure if it's applicable in this case.

At my own risk, I followed your advice and IT WORKED! And what's more, I uploaded an image after using this plugin and everything it's working fine again. Image is uploaded, zero errors!

I recommend to backup your DB before using this plugin... Just in case!

Thanks a lot, Webbrewe

Here's the link of this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/force-regenerate-thumbnails/

jlljljx1

Reaction score

ygweblog

Reaction score
The only problem is you can't deactivate the plugin because then the problem returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.