Problems with Telephone & Broadband Providers, and IT

v4xde

Reaction score
I start having problems with my Talktalk provider, they say that there is broadband signal on the line when I cannot access my broadband. This is taking more than 1 month everyday calls to their techincal support, and I am now fedup.

Is there anyone that can help me in finding out,

How can I check to see if there is broadband signal or not on the line?

v

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
We have an AOL / Carphone Wharehouse account on a semi rural exchange that misbehaves like that on occasion and were given the complete runaround by 'customer technical services'. However did get some feedback from a BT tech that sometimes the hardware at the exchange can hang for up to hour or more trying to allocate an IP address at peak times if none are available.

Complaining of course is futile, it's in the small print of the broadband TOS. They gurantee nothing about reliability of the service provided.

Other known causes, particulary for us when the office was in the attic of the router overheating and needing a complete power off at the wall wart with time to cool down. (or up eding a can of butane lighter gas into it when things were desparate)

BTW .. just a passing thought has the router got Wifi ?
A passing wardriver may of overwhelmed the router causing it to mis-behave, it's a less common problem but does happen to some.

v4xde

Reaction score
Thanks Cybrax,

I think the problem is now other.

I rang talktalk technical, and the 1st person in India told me "...wait.... I wil connect you again....", and after 1 minute I was surfing.
On the next day however the problem of not having internet came back.
I rang technical, they pass me to the next level technical.
I swer I was talking to a hard sales person.
He put the following hypotesis for choose:

1- since I do not have the talktalk router, I need to purchase 1 at £30.

2- Since my contract is over, I need to renew at £30 + £20/month, and I will receive a new router.

3- If I keep using the old router, they will send a engineer, for £150.

I think I am in a sales situation, as every one things because their contract end, they need to make a new one. What is wrong withthe old, one? OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHhh yes, it does not give them money

money that they earn as £30 new contract, and because when you rent a flat you only stay for 1 year, you have to break the contract of 18 months and pay £75.

What I need is one of you nice people to send me information of the back of your routers, like serial no. etc.
Than I will call them , say that I have their router, give the no. but altering the last 2 digits, and they turn me on again.

They have the nife and cheese.

I just need to be more clever. An with your help I can turn the tables.

Thanks, V

krofunk

Reaction score
I have to say that I dislike talktalk..I know a lot of people that have problems with connectivity. It is at this point that I will tell you a talktalk router won't help you - my reasoning is that I am often called out regarding someones talk talk internet not working, when I arrive I see the (stupid) dlink router talktalk hand out to everybody. in short its trash, it goes into a sleep state and disconnects from the internet to save "power" - how much isn't explained but all I know is that when you try and get on the net the stupid thing stays asleep sometimes for a good 20mins of trying.

I appear to have rambled. I do not personally own a talktalk router and so I am afraid I cannot help you there, however you should call tech support again and tell them you are not falling for their sales techniques.

v4xde

Reaction score
I now Have a BT HOmeHub Router 1.5, but I just trying to get into the broadband and I don't know how I put IE or Firefox recognizing the LAN.

Also Talktalk modem used to ask for password and username, which this one does not.

Any helpers, thanks in advance.
v