Programming Fails you've had

chrisrog

Reaction score
We've all had those moments. We're going as fast as we can or just miss something and the whole program/site just does something we're not wanting or expecting it to do.

lol my choice of background colors never seems to end well being one example.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Would sending the head of IT 20,000 emails/minute count? It happens when you get the test condition of a while() wrong...

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
1. DDos'd a server with a scraping engine and badly configured cron job, was supposed to be every 1 hour but I'd set it for 1 minute intervals.
2. Caused 000Webhost to limit the size of incoming form POST data while building a workaround for the lack of remote MySQL connections.
3. Got a ticking off from Yahoo for abusing their Pipes service. Rumors the entire V2 rewrite was a result of my actions are scurrilous lies

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Improper variable naming. You'd be surprised what kinds of memory leaks you can get when you aren't actually erasing items from a list, thus causing them to be stored infinitely (spoiler: left a game I was working on to run overnight. Woke up to it using 3gb out of my available 4. Not good.)

ellescuba27

Reaction score
My first website was a programming fail.
Had a friend give me a book about Javascript, but didn't even mention HTML. I wanted to get started but didn't know how to use Javascript without the HTML the book was mentioning. Got Dreamweaver and started making a web page without knowing any code at all, and didn't know what FTP was, so as a test I used the host's file manager to upload some of the files for a test. I didn't upload all the files, just some to see if it was working. Unfortunately one of the files I didn't upload was the CSS, so the website appeared all blue and wacky looking because of the lack of styling. At that time I didn't understand that the files on my hard drive are different from those uploaded to the site, so I thought I had just ruined the site I had worked on for so long. The site itself had tonnes of images and videos that took up many GB of space, but I only had 100 MB of space on my host, so I couldn't upload much of the content I wanted to share. Now I look back at how bad I was at making sites...