Purchasing RAM, any recommend brand?

rolandr

Reaction score
I'm adding more RAM.

I familiar with these brand Corsair, Patriot, Centon, Kingston but then there will be some off brand that's cheaper than the ones mentioned but I'm afraid to purchase them because they maybe faulty. Of course I could get my money back but I don't want the hassle especially if I purchase on-line.

mjaoune5571

Reaction score
look for their clock speed information on the web, and keep in mind that you must buy the one that fits in your motherboard, so if your motherboard uses DDR1 buy a DDR1 ram, DDR2 for DDR2 supported motherboards and such.
So the things to keep in mind when you buy your ram:
1-The DDR version
2-The clock speed
3-The size (Optional)

Best,
MJaoune

rolandr

Reaction score
I know which RAM to get (PC2700 DRR1 333 Mhz, yes, its an old laptop). Just that is there any brand should I be aware of. The popular brands such as Corsair, Patriot, Centon, Kingston, PNY are fairly reliable. Is there those off-brand names (they're few dollar cheaper) but have higher defect per number sold. I know they're guarantee but what if I purchase them on-line? I might have to pay shipping fee back and stocking fee. That would suck.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Corsair. GSkill. Kingston.

Don't settle for anything less.

Reaction score
My personal favorite is Kingston, but I haven't got a lot of experience with other brands so I can't really say if there are any brands that are just as good or better.

rolandr

Reaction score
Cool, thanks, I guess name brands is the way to go. Pay more, don't worry about consequences.

binhorbsoft98

Reaction score
In Brazil, Markvision. It's better than Kingston. Kingston presents some incompability (causes error in Memtest and Memtest+) and don't accept any tunning. Markvision is 100% compatible with any motherboard and accepts some tunning and overclock. It's generic, but is better.

vfmrcx10

Reaction score
if you add more ram, don't forget to check the ram capacity of your board.
and just to add tips. if you are into ecc. go buy chips that divisible by 3 or 5 so that error report is enabled. the catch is that sometimes, rams performance will decrease. if you are not into ecc. go buy non ecc memory module. just get the clock speed for your motherboard and don't forget the clock timing. lower clock timing, best response time. hth.

rolandr

Reaction score
Well documentation of my laptop says 2 gigs (old 2004 Dell that's running strong) is max of RAM. Laptop is running fine.

vfmrcx10

Reaction score
just the maximum amount will do and choose better clock timing. it will cost you but the speed and performance is noticeable. hth