Question about design

nightscream

Reaction score
I don't really know what to do so I got a question and want a honest opinion.
I want to start my own company website(coding service, later webdesign will be added), I have my code done but now I'm strugling with the design. I have seen a nice webdesign on the internet that is currently in use but I was thinking of copying the design(create a look a like design) how would you feel about that?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
how can you code something that isn't designed?

It doesn't make sense. Get GIMP or PhotoShop or something like that. and create a template. Then slice& code the images.

nightscream

Reaction score
I'm talking about the system code that hasn't to do anything with the design.
The code is made in php with classes. I have almost the whole system coded but now I've seen a design on a website and I really like it and I'm thinking of just copy it with photoshop.
But how do you guys feel about such a website?

goldy30

Reaction score
I've heard similar opinions about copying other web designs before. Some people say that even if you are copying the design, but make it up layer by layer in PS, it's technically a new creation. Some people might say it's stealing but I've done it. Mostly for the template or layout but changing a few things here and there will make it original. Fonts, colors, size of elements, images, etc.

Do you have a link to check for us to check out?

mattura

Reaction score
Just don't copy... make your own in the same style though!
PS link was broken when I tried...

xPlozion

Reaction score
getting ideas from another site isn't bad. ripping the design and putting your logo isn't cool.

AsaBerdahl

Reaction score
A simple bit of colors or a bit of a logo change would make it a bit more unique. But otherwise, a very nice mock-up.

nightscream

Reaction score
Thanks but it's not really about the design itself because I kinda stole the design if you get what I mean but just made it in photoshop but it looks similar so would you think less of such a company or not?

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
It looks good to me. Its not like you just copied all of their images and code and called it your own. (Errr...right?) Since you made it yourself I wouldn't call it stealing. I wouldn't really think any less of a company because they have a similar website to another.

nightscream

Reaction score
no, I've made the graphics myself, based on the website and I'll code it myself from scratch of course.

swifer07

Reaction score
excuse me! can i ask a question which is much better when it comes to using images as design jpeg or png? which is more faster? thanks!..for the answer if there's any!:biggrin:

mattura

Reaction score
jpg is good for photos and images with lots of colours and fast and universal downloading/processing.
png is good for few colours with sharp lines, eg diagrams etc (jpg compression will mess up your sharp lines to save space)

jayuk666

Reaction score
Looks good mate. by all means use other sites as a guide. that's where a lot of designer's get their inspiration from, by looking at other sites or templates. Just be sure to change it as much as you can :)

Is technology meant to be spelt with an 'ie' on your site? >.<

xPlozion

Reaction score
don't get me wrong, getting ideas is a good thing as i've said, but it looks like you've done a print screen, pasted into photoshop, and removed anything that has to do with branding, including text and other things.

the buttons for the nav have the EXACT same colors and style (little light border around it), the gradient background where the client login stuff is is just about the same color. the client login has the exact same look as their phone numbers and search. the content towards the bottom, where you have the two tabbed things looks just like thiers. use different colors or move things around to make it look different.

I used to visit a site that was dedicated to finding people who ripped others designs, and the ripper's designs had more originality than what you are presenting :'( that will equal bad rep and make potential clients think differently, even if you are a good coder...

vol7ron

Reaction score
I stand by xPlozion's responses. Anyone saying, "even if it's the same, if you make it yourself, you're fine" is not someone you should listen to.

First of all, some of these sites pay lots of $$ to get someone to design their page for the originality. If you copy it, you will be stealing their artistic creativity, which can result in lawsuits and sometimes jail, so if that happens say bye-bye to your business. This of course doesn't matter if you can find it on a free template site.

Second of all, if you can play an instrument really good and recreate someone else's song, but change the name, you are committing a crime; this is no different. However, if you wish to make something that resembles the site and make a considerable change, sort of like the difference between Queen's "Under Pressure" and Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby", then that is okay.

Generally, the rule of thumb should be, you can reuse the layout, or reuse their color scheme, but never both. Don't take credit for someone else's work. If you do and are making money from your pages, you could face serious penalties.