How easy is it for a know-nothing to control a VPS server

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
So I finally got a job, although it only pays NJ's minimum wage, I think I can finally pay x10 back by buy a paid hosting. Now I sometimes make website for my friends and I want to be able to offer them hosting along with it too. So for about 2 extra dollars/month I can control my own hosting.

So my questions are. How easy is it for a know-nothing about system administration to control a VPS server.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
TinyVPS (from what I hear) is terrible to run a webserver on.

Linux is more complicated than windows (in my opinion) especially on a VPS. It's all command line stuff, no graphics or anything.

Unless you have good knowledge of linux bash commands, I wouldn't really recommend it. I'm running Ubuntu on this PC right now, and I'm learning lots of new things.

Maybe try installing a linux distro on a computer?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, it's not hard once you learn some basic commands and know how to start, stop, and restart services.

Also, I wouldn't recommend getting the smallest VPS if you plan to run a serious Web site.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
so I will not be able to resell webspace to clients?
what about using the LXAdmin. I looked at the demo, (http://lxlinuxdemo.lxlabs.com:7778/login/) and it looked a lot like WHM/cPanel

I only plan to have like a couple friends on the server (5?)

diamondpc

Reaction score
like they said if you know linux command then it not that hard. but me i went to school for XP and got my A+ and a few other things. but we had a very small corse on Linux commands and i have a lot of trouble with it. thats just me. but i can work it but i need my books bye my side. So let me say this if you think you can learn the commands and its just few of your friends then why not just try it and see what you can do. You might just suprise your self.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If you know how to use Linux with no GUI, you'll be just fine. If you have no experience with Linux, educate yourself on the distro that you want to use on how to set things up and control them. It's not too hard, but many people would not want to venture into such a thing since they're used to a GUI.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
now let me hope an Admin or Corey see's this and they are in a nice mood.

Is there a way to set up a demo account I can mess around on for like 2-3 days so i can see if I would like to go further with the purchase?

diamondpc

Reaction score
haha.. good luck..lol jk....i agree thats what my problem was with linux was i didnt have th gui and i spent 18 weeks under a gui and 3 weeks with out it in linkux. damn Microsoft.. i wish i had learned linux before MS but thats me..

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
so if I find an old machine and install linux on it and learn the basics. hmm I think my dad should have somethings stuck in the basement.

but the best thing would be get a live demo site

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, you could always install LX Admin, and barely ever use the command line, however, I don't like LX Admin very much.

I'm really liking ISP Config. I can't get it install on my VPS though! UGH. I'm waiting for someone to reply to my ticket so I can upgrade to the largest package.

I'll take a screenshot of my headache with my vps so you can see what the command line is like: http://i28.tinypic.com/2qvza0p.png

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want, I can set you up a shell on my PC here at home, and you can use Putty to connect and stuff.

PM me if you're intereseted. I make no promises as to whether the PC will be up. haha.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
the Tiny VPS offers
125 Mb of Ram
and196 Mb of Burstable Ram

is this enough to run 4-5 websites smoothly on the server? they will probably be portfolio sites, maybe some forum sites.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Probably way more than enough.

Also, you can install a GUI on many linux distros. I've used Ubuntu server, and you can just do a sudo apt-get and boom, you have a GUI. It will eat your resources though.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
depends on what you're running really.

if the sites are resource intensive, the server will run slower.

it should be enough though. im running ubuntu desktop with like 300 something mb of ram.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
okay so Im pretty much sold on getting a VPS. just sent in ticket asking if they had a money back guarantee. xD

now just to get some literature on how to set up my possibly new vps. anybody have any?
*by literature I mean anything for reading on the web, please don't get an encyclopedia size textbook and send it to my home.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
now when my 'clients' want to use their own domain, whos name servers do I point it too.

still x10's. or do I have to get my own?

Status
Not open for further replies.