ram, processor,or harddisk.

allinone

Reaction score
If u are given a choice to one upgrade, what u will choose for faster pc performance?

intertec

Reaction score
it depends on waht you already got on the computer! Give me system information and I'll tell exact upgrade for reasonable price from good shops!

Zangetsu

Reaction score
all including the motherboard cuz what is the piont of buying an i.e. a processor with a 2GHz FSB, if you put it on a mobo which only has a FSB of 800MHz same goes for the ram if you buy 1333MHz ram modules and stick them on a mobo which only can handle 533MHz then the ram modules will either not be accepted or the modules will be underclocked

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Processor (assuming this choice is free). RAM and HDD's don't cost too much nowadays..

TarouSensei

Reaction score
On my system, I would have to upgrade RAM first out of the choices you gave. 256MB isn't really enough for development/3d rendering/gaming/etc. What I really want is a better graphics card, though. (Mine doesn't have vertex shader!!)

marshian

Reaction score
How about you upgrade the thing that gives you the most headaches?

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
On my Laptop I would upgrade the RAM (I do need more because I only have 768MB).

It does depend on which component is the current bottleneck on you computer. If you have good RAM and a good Processor, but a very slow/small HDD, then you would upgrade that.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
On my PC, I'd probably upgrade the RAM, as it only has a 667MHz FSB. The amount is plently though (2GB :biggrin:)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
On mine, HD, Ram, Processor, in that order.

HD's cause I've got an accumulated 10% free across all the partitions on the 320 and 120gb drives, ram cause I've got another slot for 2gb free, then processor cause I'm running an AMD dual core and although I have managed to max it out with some games, for the most part it's doing just fine :)

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Depends what you need, my desktop has 4GB RAM and a quad core, so no need to upgrade them. I'd upgrade the HDD as Ive only got 150GB space due to the raptor.

Really depends on what you need.

Alex

whitebus

Reaction score
ram would be the easiest upgrade, it's cheap and you could probably just add a chip and continue using what you already have. A windows user running firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware will almost always see an improvement with more ram.
cpu upgrade can be problematic, and if your motherboard is old the fsb is going to limit the improvement you can see and the number of choices available. for example, i have an asus p4b with a 400 fsb and have a 2.4 processor (the fastest 400.) making mb upgrade necessary first.
any windows user will know that upgrading a hd is a day of work or more, but you do have a lot of options here. even an old computer like mine can take advantage of the newer hard drives with more space, larger memory caches, higher rpm's and other efficiency features. you may need to add something like a sata2 card to take full advantage and you also usually have the option of keeping your old drive and turning it into a slave (always use the new drive as the boot drive.)
my last upgrade choice was the hd and i added the sata card. it gave me the best options and i can now use windows(2k) or linux(debian.) i also figured i could migrate the new drive to my next computer.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't really need any upgrades, but if anything, the processor. When those 6 core processors come out that is...

satbir

Reaction score
New PC :)

I think better RAM will make it more efficient.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

Reaction score
I don't really need any upgrades, but if anything, the processor. When those 6 core processors come out that is...

yeah your gonna have to wait for that, the Westmere 32nm processors a due in H1 2010 but i think you do need to upgrade every thing cuz the westmere
"Various sources have stated that Nehalem's specifications will be as follows.
  • 1 through 8 (or more) cores.
  • Integrated memory controllers supporting DDR3 SDRAM and between 1 and 4 memory channels.
  • Manufactured using the same 45 nm manufacturing process as its predecessor, Penryn.
  • Some variants will have an integrated graphics processor (IGP) located off-die, but in the same CPU package.

• Uses the new point-to-point processor interconnect, the Intel QuickPath Interconnect, replacing the legacy front side bus.
  • Hyper-threading, which has not been present on a consumer Intel processor since 2006 with the Pentium 4 and Pentium EE.
  • Native (monolithic, i.e. all processor cores on a single die) quad and octo (8) core processors.
  • 731 million transistors for the quad core variant.
  • 32 KB L1 instruction and 32 KB L1 data cache per core.
  • 256 KB L2 cache per core.
  • 8 MB (in the quad core version) L3 cache shared by all CPU cores.
  • 33% more in-flight micro-ops than Core.
  • 2nd level branch predictor and 2nd level Translation Lookaside Buffer.
  • Modular blocks of components such as cores that can be added and subtracted for varying market segments."

Last edited:

Daniel S

Reaction score
On my computer I would upgrade my processor first because I already have 2gb of RAM and two 160gb hard drives.

On my laptop I would upgrade my RAM first.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Processor because:

* I already have max RAM on a 32 BITs PC
* I don't need 560000 TB space lol. 250 GB is enough for me

But if I had 64 bit I go for more RAM

guypants

Reaction score
wel my pc has 3.2ghz dual core processor 2gigs ram, and 3 Hdd's; 250gig sata, 80gig sata and 80gig IDE so it wouldent be a hard disk i would be choosing, i would most probally choose a new processor :D

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
You could get a RAM and Hard drive upgrade for the price of a processor upgrade, so that really says it all. Unless the CPU is useless, get both the RAM and HDD upgrades, after all, both those would be better then a single CPU upgrade.

Alex

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Processor is the most important out of those choices assuming that you have a motherboard that can handle it.