Ram

brittain

Reaction score
Hey guys in my system i have 4G ddr2 ram but i was wondering if anyone has 8G ddr2 as i am thinking of upgrading its alot but shold improve game play its about £999 :p:drool:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
4GB of RAM should be plenty for all of the games today. My friends don't have any more than 2gigs and they can run Crysis, World in Conflict and Call of Duty 4 without any lag/loading what so ever with all of the graphics and sound quality settings maxed out, and with a high frame rate above 50fps, and yet, they always have loads of apps open on their Vista machines. Also, you are running 64bit, right? I'm not sure what OS you have, but from what I know, Windows (I'm assuming you use this) will only be using 3.5GB out of the 4GB because of the way 32bit is designed.

If the game is lagging instead of loading constantly and you are sure that no other open apps/background tasks/processes are hogging the system, you might need a faster CPU and/or Graphics card. If it's loading constantly, close out some resource hogging apps (like Firefox with loads of tabs open, or if it's been open for weeks) or clean out some of your system temp files.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
4 GB is already excessive; are there even motherboards that can handle 8? You've got plenty of RAM, but just make sure your drivers for your graphics card are updated (or if your graphics card is outdated, get it swapped out). If you do plan on switching out your graphics card, check on whether it's AGP PCI or PCI-E, and make sure you've got a strong enough power supply to handle it!

Slothie

Reaction score
I do have 8GB RAM on my box :D

The downside is that I've got to run a 64Bit OS as 32bits don't register past the magic 4GB mark.

4x2GB ( Wanted 4x4 but the 4GB modules are just too expensive =/ )

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
These are some speeds you've got 4 and 8 GB. I am still at 1 GB.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm only running at 2gig on my PC. It's enough to run all of the modern games now a days with no loading really needed (it loads as it does, and even when it is loading, no farts what so ever). I, as my friends do run the games at the maximum settings possible.

warlordste

Reaction score
y u want so much ram its a waste 4 gb is enogh for any ones comp or even a sever lol

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
You'd be wasting your money. Anything above 2GB is already going to waste, and even upgrading to 16GB, you won't even see a 1% increase in speed.

are there even motherboards that can handle 8?

They've got motherboards that can handle 96GB of RAM. But what's the point if you are just using it for gaming?

Most desktops can't even recognize past 3.5-4gb

Unless a) you have more than four slots and b) you have a 64-bit OS.

Slothie

Reaction score
Ah but then you're wrong :)

I have a few virtualized servers (Centos5 and FreeBSD) that I often use to check for cross compatibility issues in the programs I write. I also a large amount of programs open at any given time. Sure it wouldn't give you much of a boost if you're running one or two apps at anytime, but if you start running 20 or more, that's when you notice the difference.

Xemnas

Reaction score
I'm not really complaining about my measly 512MB RAM . . . I can still run UT3 on a decent framerate with that tiny chip, and that's with bloom and everything turned on. So unless you intend to multi-task on your comp, don't worry about having a small RAM, most games will run fine enough with it ;)
They've got motherboards that can handle 96GB of RAM.
Well, I've been told that a pagefile should be at least twice the size of your RAM. So if you use 96GB RAM with a PF, well . . . enjoy waiting for your desktop to load with that 192GB PF on your hard drive =P

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have 4 gb ram. But my graphic card has 512 mb so win xp deletes 512 mb from the ram :(. Btw, you need a vista to be able to have 8 gb ram and not much games work in vista. Vista is like MAC in the moment.

Slothie

Reaction score
You don't need vista to have more than 4GB ram, you just need winXP 64Bit. If you have more than 4GB ram, chances are you won't need a page file :) I don't even bother turning it on :p Each of my VM's have 1GB each, which leaves me with 6GB.

Sohail

Reaction score
4gb is more then enough. Though when it comes to gaming, i prefer the PS3.

warlordste

Reaction score
360 me self but some time u can't beat the gd old fashioned comp i love playing on that as well

ethraax

Reaction score
As stated earlier, you need to make sure you have a 64-bit OS before doing that (32-bit only handles up to 4gb of ram, and not well at all). Also, I doubt you need that much for any gaming at the moment. The only real use for over 4gb of RAM is heavy processing (multimedia or bulky programming, if you feel like compiling that 2gb program in less time). To be honest it's not worth the 999 pounds.

I'd stick with 4gb, and throw the money at a better gfx card, processor, motherboard, or something that will show more of an improvement.