Re-Opening FileVIP (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

In my spare time I've been working on FileVIP and have even asked a few of you to beta test for me. I am currently in the process of implementing the ideas from the feedback I was given and will award those people points like I promised when I finish.

I decided to open up the beta version to x10 to use and test for me ;). I disabled registrations for now while I re-write the file manager portion but you are welcome to upload and share your files.

Let me know what you think of the new design too :)

FileVIP | Home

*The image functions are currently disabled also, so they won't show up when you pick an image file.

Thanks,

-Corey

Last edited:

eNoyx

Reaction score
I love the new design, so web 2.0 =P Very smooth in colors and comfortable for your eyes. The hotlinking feature is a great idea ^^

Keep it up =)

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
It looks really much professional!!

Congratulations, and we'll all help testing the site and giving our feedback :)

jsobeck

Reaction score
Nice job Corey, you really seem to have a knack for professional looking designs.

lionheart8

Reaction score
Nice service. I hope to use it to host some video files and moving from a host who has been having very erratic uptimes.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys, let me know if you have any suggestions or find any problems. I'm still working on the file manager section and hope to be done in a week or so. :)

-Corey

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Corey,

Questions And Suggestions :

Will there be any progress bar to indicate the uploading progress for files that we going to upload in this FileVIP ? ( if there is not hopefully this can be implement

The Upload Design is very good maybe you might want to add "send email to" which allows user to be able to send the link to the person he/she wants to send the link.

You also might want to consider an anti-spam captcha that have to key in 4 alpha and number eg . a45z , 2r43 ( This is basically to prevent spamming of emails and uploading, keep the captcha simple and lowcase allows less hassle to user who wants to use FileVIP)

Resources About Captcha
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Comments:

This current FileVIP uses big text and more colours compared to the previous which makes visual effects very effective. You have used attractive Colours to make information very clear. ( This is very good because it make things clear to users, which is very important or else not one might want to use )

The design interface is very well organized and friendly.

These are the most important thing which I think should be an excellent file sharing service.

- good download speed
- friendly usage
- hotlinking ( since you added this in filevip is one good reason why no one would want to use it )
- no restriction to downloads location (Eg. I always get "proxy server being used", "sorry the downloads link is currently unavailable because another user is currently downloading"... )
- able to send an email to friend directly the link.

Hope I have provided some information....

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
Found a potential bug.

When I make a file private and then it displays the 3 links after I upload it. Only the first link requires the password. If I remove the password from the end of the url, it will say "Failed Pass". That is fine. But, when I choose the Your Download Link one, it doesn't ask for a pass. I sent the link to my email address as well. That link didn't ask for a pass. Tested with a .zip and a .html

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, I'll fix that.

-Corey

Zenax

Reaction score
Ahhh, A much better design than the last one. My only suggestion is to change the Upload File text to Black to make it stand out or give it a shadow or something.

Other than that the re-vamp of it looks amazing!

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
The new filevip is cool, but there's is something lacking when I created an account.

I suggest filevip to take some of the old system like having a status system to show the overall "No. of downloads" , " Amount of Bandwidth used " " No. of downloads today" " Highest downloaded contents". This is very important to me because it allows me to see which files is most wanted and which one is not then I can re-organized it to maybe have more different links.

I hope this helps you up in thinking of having a Account Status which able to have statistics.

Hi Corey I added this as extension because I found a serious bug

Bug Error :
1. FileVip unable to show frameset in FireFox in Uploading ( only occurs as a registered member when u click on upload)
2. When Setting it to private file, no input password box is shown due to Bug Error 1.
3. No "Upload File" button in due to Bug Error 1.

Reproduce the bug: ( FireFox 2.0.0.6 )
1. create a account in filevip
2. login into account
3. click on Default Folder
4. click on the top right button "upload"
5. Bug produce

Using firefox v2.0.0.6:
Code:
http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firefoxsnapvx4.jpg

using IE v6.0
Code:
http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iesnapld5.jpg

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Oops, account registration is supposed to be shut off right now. I'm in the middle of recoding the file area. Disregard any bugs\problems you found with it for now ;)

-Corey

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Hi Corey,

Hmm.... I just cannot wait. Will u briefly says what are the features in this new FileVIP is currently working right now ?

This is because I tried to upload a file in the uploading sections , the uploaded prograss all is working, but the hotlinks and delete links is not working same for the accessing to the download page website.

stealth

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Hi Corey,

Hmm.... I just cannot wait. Will u briefly says what are the features in this new FileVIP is currently working right now ?

This is because I tried to upload a file in the uploading sections , the uploaded prograss all is working, but the hotlinks and delete links is not working same for the accessing to the download page website.

stealth

See the post he made above you. Until he says otherwise, I think there are still quite a few bugs left in the system.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Hi Corey,

I cannot stop thinking about more ideas into FileViP if you do not mind, I wish to suggest now.

Wish List:
========
Music/Video streaming support ( pretty popular especially if you think about youtube.com but that one alot of restrictions.)

Will it be possible if FileVip have this function of doing hot streaming , though I know there's hotlinking. But Hotlinking have some effects especially with a random generated code that look like this
_hxxp://filevip/a2sdw
this will never work on media stream load or mp3 streaming.

Probably you want to have some kind a system where if mp3 or video recognized format is uploaded, the "File Manager" will convert it into a streamable link which still looks like
_hxxp://filevip/a2sdw.flv"
or
_hxxp://filevip/a2sdw.mp3"
if the person put it as private maybe
_hxxp://filevip/a2sdw.flv?password
or something which cannot be known.

As long as windows media player or real player can do streaming with FileVip it will be cool whatever method you thought of using beside my method are all welcome..

What are the benefits of Music/Video Streaming:

Noobies who do not know about coding can just copy and paste the prefix link you provided, using FileVip media player or mp3 player.

Bloggers can link up videos and take the media links " just paste it in their blog" and all is done, filevip will load the video there everytime users comes to his blog.

Advanced Users can take links and create their own media player or mp3 player, build their own playlist with
_hxxp://filevip/xxxx.mp3
links so people can listen to live stream music better. Or even download it if they want.

2. HotLinking protection
==============
I know this is crazy idea, until now there's no file sharing server able to create such crazy function to protect hotlinks from misused.

Example: myfiles.x10hosting.com is a subdomain link, and I using filevip I have this link called
_hxxp://filevip/newfiles/image.jpg
only the subdomain is able to use this image jpg. If someone uses it in other side it will appear "Leechers Do not Leech from FileVip"

This is a form of copyright to prevent people from using my filevip links as their own.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions once everything is up and running we can look at adding more stuff like this in.

-Corey

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Hi Corey just to update you.

I not too sure you had completed the file manager thingy.

But this error still exist in firefox browser.

hxxp://forums.x10hosting.com/170978-post14.html

Status
Not open for further replies.