Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpawsadmin

Reaction score
Hey guys...

My cPanel username is "hotpaws"
I have an ad-free hosting account
And my domain is hotpaws.ca

Here's the deal: I run this website for a friend of mine and so when there's a problem, she comes to me. She recently started having email problems (well, problems more frequently than usual) and asked me to look into it.

I noticed her site was no longer hosted on the "ciroc" server and that it's now on the "cossacks" one. So I used outlook express (what she uses) to set up a mail account on my computer that can send and receive mail from this account, and it works just fine. So I exported the account to a file, emailed it to her, guided her to import this seemingly-perfect-working account into her outlook express, and everything worked fine. ...That was, until she started trying to SEND mail out from the account. Right now she can receive mail, but when she goes to send mail out, it just doesn't work (she gets an error message about port number 25 SMTP and SLL stuff... if it would help, I could post an exact quote of what the error message is). You have to forgive me, as I'm not THAT knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but if we both have the same ISP, we're both in the same city, and we're using the exact same email settings in the same program, shouldn't we be getting the same results (a working email account) ?

For reference, here are some of the settings she's using in outlook express:

incoming and outgoing mail server name: "cossacks.x10hosting.com"
NOT using "log on using secure password authentication"
but using "my server requires authentication" for the outgoing mail server
The outgoing mail server port number is 25, and the incoming one is 110
both have the SSL box UNchecked

Again, I don't understand because these settings work perfectly for me, but not for her (as far as sending mail goes). I've been trying to figure it out, but I seem to have reached the end of what I know, so does anyone out there have a clue about what could possibly be going wrong here?

I really appreciate your help,
so thanks in advance.

-Karla

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
If it's working for you, and not her it may be that she has a firewall running on her side, either software based or possibly router based? check settings and make sure it's not that.

hotpawsadmin

Reaction score
No, she doesn't have a router, and we already checked and she has no firewall software running, so it's not that.

But thanks for trying.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Her ISP is blocking port 25 outgoing. A lot of ISPs do this. If you do a search on google for "ISPNAME port 25" it should bring some info up. She'll have to use her ISPs mail servers.

hotpawsadmin

Reaction score
...but we have the exact same ISP, and it works perfectly fine for me.... That's what I don't get.

When you say "she'll have to use her ISPs mail servers", you're saying she won't be able to send email from this account and so she'll have to use a different email account to do that? Or are you talking about something else?

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
He means, that she will have to use the ISP's email address, the one she gets that is linked to her Internet Account, which is via the ISP mail server, so instead of using a hotmail account use a verizon account or whatever ISP you are with.

Also, if there is a mail server config for the script, you must use the ISP's mail servers.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
No, that is not correct Hellsheep.

She can still use her email address from us she will just use the ISPs mail server to route the outgoing mail. I actually have to do this with my ISP at home for corey[@]x10hosting.com

A lot of ISPs are blocking port 25 to help cut down on spam. This way any outgoing Email has to go through their server.

-Corey

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ahh, thanks for that, i never knew you could still use the normal email address using there mail servers (Shows how much i know about smtp and mail servers and such) :p

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Please re-open if further assistance is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.