Remote Server?

focus

Reaction score
I hope i've given the right Title for this thread...
I'm going overseas soon and instead of carrying an external HDD with me I want to upload pictures, videos, etc to my home computer from the laptop im carrying with me.
I want to dedicate a specific folder on my home computer which i can access and create folders, etc.

Does anyone recommend any programs to do this and is it safe?

Allowing me to resume upload would be good just in case the connection is interrupted when upload a large file.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
you could install an ftp server application to your home computer, that would do the trick.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
you could install an ftp server application to your home computer, that would do the trick.

This; I've done it a few times, just make sure to port forward it and test it before leaving - you don't want to leave and then find out it wasn't port forwarded through the router properly :)

Otherwise, you could also look into DropBox [ https://www.dropbox.com/plans ] - 2gb free, 50gb for 9.99 a month, or 100gb for 19.99 a month.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score

This; I've done it a few times, just make sure to port forward it and test it before leaving - you don't want to leave and then find out it wasn't port forwarded through the router properly :)

Otherwise, you could also look into DropBox [ https://www.dropbox.com/plans ] - 2gb free, 50gb for 9.99 a month, or 100gb for 19.99 a month.

benleeder16

Reaction score
You might also want to consider using a dynamic dns service so you can find your computer if you dont have a static ip address.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
FTP + Dynamic DNS account should do the trick. Just as a heads up, do not run the FTP server on the default port, and make sure it is set up with a very strong password. What might also work, if you've got the knowledge to do so is to set up a VPN between the remote PC and your PC, which is both secure and fast once it's been set up.

wongers

Reaction score
keep it simple, get some free hosting and, ooo, hang on, like your X10 account?? and use the FTP function for that, or hell, upload stuffs via the user portal??

would that not do the trick??

if no, then id go with setting up an FTP account on your home system if its going to be a LOT of data or a free online cloud ftp like dropbox if you can keep it within their bandwith limits.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
since we do not allow the use of our free hosting accounts for file storage, that would not be a wise idea.

steronius

Reaction score
+1, no +10 for Dropbox.

What are the chances your home PC will stay up and running the whole time. Luckily, if it does not, your files still get saved at Dropbox.com until your Home PC reconnects.

for the free account, you will have a 2GB limit and can increase in 250MB increments if you get friends to join from your invites -- in fact, if you PM your email to me, i can invite you and get 250MB extra on my account. :wink:

best free Windows (or Mac) remote tools: LogMeIn Free, Logmein Hamachi, & DropBox. With Logmein you can remote control your desktop. with Hamachi you can have a virtual network over all your personal machines (share folders, etc), and dropbox is for synchronized storage across all your machines and online.

Last edited:

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I hope i've given the right Title for this thread...
I'm going overseas soon and instead of carrying an external HDD with me I want to upload pictures, videos, etc to my home computer from the laptop im carrying with me.
I want to dedicate a specific folder on my home computer which i can access and create folders, etc.

Does anyone recommend any programs to do this and is it safe?

Allowing me to resume upload would be good just in case the connection is interrupted when upload a large file.

Did you ensure power backup , 100% up time kind of settings to your PC?
If so,as none knows about your PC's ids as long as you travel (brief periods) you can be safely tensionless.
But if you want to use it as a server you might need better ammunition.