Resource usage monitor news post 6/30/09

zen-r

Reaction score
Well, since it looks like I may be the first to be getting in a response to this news - I'd like to say something positive!

I think that the monitor is not only a good thing, but personally I would even expect it of a well managed free webhost.

Why should a few greedy or careless website-developing members here be allowed to hog 90% of the system resources, so that other members' sites grind to a halt or become unusable?

Not only is this monitor fair to have, but it is also enforced very non-aggressively. For 2 breaches of the limits, members can un-suspend themselves each time. And even for the third breach, which requires a support ticket, un-suspension is still possible (I don't know what happens after that, though! ;) )

Ideally, we would have some sort of usage meter in our panel as well. Most novices won't really know what set-ups in their site will cause what system demands. Maybe that isn't practical to implement, or maybe it will be introduced later.

But if, as Bryon explains, putting demands on "a system's processing power for long enough to be suspended will only happen if you are doing something not normal" - then it seems that most of us shouldn't even be affected by this new monitor. At least, not in any detrimental way.

merrillmck

Reaction score
Sounds like a fair plan ...

Now I just need to avoid

for( i=1; i<=array.length; i-- )
{
// my for loop
}

EDIT/ADDITION: The above code is an infinite loop.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow, those sound reeeeealy high, which is good :)

I guess I should stop calculating the digits of PI with my free account ><

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score

Now I just need to avoid

From what I gathered it sounds like it's got a bit of a time-delay, so unless it's got an INSANELY long array or has lots of operations to do on it, it -shouldnt- trip high-resource-usage

If a user exceeds any of these limits for longer than 60 seconds, they will have a suspension applied to their account.
Obviously keep the usage of it down though, just in case :)

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Ideally, we would have some sort of usage meter in our panel as well. Most novices won't really know what set-ups in their site will cause what system demands.

I can say something similar is in the works.

Code:
for( i=1; i<=array.length; i-- )
{
// my for loop
}
Now I just need to avoid

That probably wouldn't result in a suspension. :p

zen-r

Reaction score
Perhaps we should organise a competition to see who can write the most resource-hogging software?

Ist Prize: 1 year's free ban! ;)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps we should organise a competition to see who can write the most resource-hogging software?

Ist Prize: 1 year's free ban! ;)

Code:
While (1)
{
echo "This might be a titch resource intensive";
}

But yeah, honestly even that's enough to qualify cause it doesn't matter how long the echo takes, it's going to suck up as much cpu as possible cause it'll keep looping as fast as possible XD

taha116

Reaction score
Im sorry did your conversation go from, you better not use allot of resources, all the way to lets see who can use the most? lol

The resource limit thing is 32MB right?

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Code:
While (1)
{
echo "This might be a titch resource intensive";
}
But yeah, honestly even that's enough to qualify cause it doesn't matter how long the echo takes, it's going to suck up as much cpu as possible cause it'll keep looping as fast as possible XD

Hmm. That's sucking up the CPUs, but you haven't made much of a demand on memory or concurrent processes, now have you?

4/10 - Good effort, could do better. ;)

Clinton

Reaction score
I just want to know how possible it is to use Wordpress without being suspended. Anyone with WP have any feedback so far?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm. That's sucking up the CPUs, but you haven't made much of a demand on memory or concurrent processes, now have you?

4/10 - Good effort, could do better. ;)

PHP:
while (1)
{
echo "This might be a titch resource intensive\r\n";
$variable = $variable."this might be a titch memory intensive.... after a while... \r\n";
exec("php thisfile.php");
}
:dunno:

gcottick

Reaction score
Great to see that the admins are setting reasonable resource limits that help ensure everyone gets a slice of the pie. Well done guys!!

I remember many moons ago I wrote a little program on the mainframe at work to do a Christmas present draw for my extended family. Had a logic error that didn't properly catch the scenario of where a draw could not be completed (last person left with only themself to pick). Little program took all the batch CPU resources to its knees (ahhh.. them memories!!).

hey654

Reaction score
pretty high overuse limits, so it sounds reasonable. It's good to know :)

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
So if one made a php script that ran for 3 days, used .001% cpu usage, and 10mb of ram, its ok?

like if i did somthing like

O, and the guy above me has hidden links, abusing the system >.>

PHP:
<?
//code to make sure only 1 instance is running.

set_time_limit(0);

while(1)
{
//Do something like ping a site or process a small portion of data

//wait 5 sec
usleep(5000000);

}
?>

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Nice'n Fair, just the way I like it.

Code:
$kill_array = array();
function kill() {
  while (1) {
    $kill_array[] = sha1(uniqid(rand(), true));
    echo "Take this Corey!";
    include "kill.php";
    kill();
  }
}

kill();
I believe I will take that suspension now :p

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
So if one made a php script that ran for 3 days, used .001% cpu usage, and 10mb of ram, its ok?

like if i did somthing like

PHP:
<?
//code to make sure only 1 instance is running.

set_time_limit(0);

while(1)
{
//Do something like ping a site or process a small portion of data

//wait 5 sec
usleep(5000000);

}
?>

I don't think the server will allow you to override the maximum execution time, but it would be interesting to see just for fun.

If you are actually relying on this working for your site, I think you might want to reconsider your design :p

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
im not, it was somthing random i thought up. i would rather rely on a cron job if a absolutely needed to.

but i don't see why you wouldn't be able to override the maximum execution time, unless x10 has coded to prevent it?