Review 3 Templates 1 of which is going to be the final

ghotel

Reaction score
Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
  1. Forget about the first one! If you want a colorful header picture you can't put any text over it. The site logo is not appropriate for the background. Some simple font would do the trick and the main menu separator is just wrong. The page background is not good enough to wait your bandwidth.
  2. It's better but not enough. I won't explain why because then I'll have to make some suggestions and I don't want to do that because they are included in your third template.
  3. This one is better then first two. Header is good but try to remove white gradient from many icons. Site logo isn't clearly visible because of the dark gray background. Try using the lighter color. And please align the top coordinate of "please wait" and "login" elements. I also don't like main menu color. Here is what I think would be more appropriate.

menu.png

NOTE. Lighter menu item (FAQ) is for rollover image.

One more thing. In your 2) and 3) template you put the login form to the left and that's good, but you need to reduce the width. It's way to BIG.

Colors
Generally I don't like it. Maybe it's just me but I have a distinguished taste for colors. Please visit http://www.colourlovers.com/ or http://kuler.adobe.com/ . Those are the great sites dedicated to colors, color palettes and patterns. The more important thing is that you can see what colors are IN these days.

I hope this was helpful and good luck whit your site.

vol7ron

Reaction score
My thoughts on your site and leviathon's detailed remarks:

1. Forget about the first one! If you want a colorful header picture you can't put any text over it. The site logo is not appropriate for the background. Some simple font would do the trick and the main menu separator is just wrong. The page background is not good enough to wait your bandwidth.

I agree about the background, however I also like the colorful header, though it's not simple and therefore this would be better for a clan site rather than a central gaming site. Also, he is right about the background image.

If you did want to use the title image, just fade it out much lighter than the submenu did use large black or red text there.
  • It's better but not enough. I won't explain why because then I'll have to make some suggestions and I don't want to do that because they are included in your third template.
  • ...Header is good but try to remove white gradient from many icons. Site logo isn't clearly visible because of the dark gray background. Try using the lighter color. And please align the top coordinate of "please wait" and "login" elements. ..
I am not a fan of the boxed site logo because it is hard to read and seems to clutter the page. I don't know what leviathon was saying about the top align of the "please wait" and "login" elements... they seem to be fine.

One more thing. In your 2) and 3) template you put the login form to the left and that's good, but you need to reduce the width. It's way to BIG.
We must be looking at different images, the one I see has the login to the right, which I like.

Overall, 3 nice sites, be careful about being too graphic in your pre-html phase. Those rounded corners and other abstractions will be tricky to get around to make your site fully functional.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think the first one caters more to gamers than the others. It's the most mature layout as well as the most game driven one.

It also displays content better than the other two.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
We must be looking at different images, the one I see has the login to the right, which I like.

Sorry my mistake. I meant right but I wrote left.

I presumed that most people still use 1024x768 resolution and if you have that in mind the 352px width of the login box is way too much.

Those rounded corners and other abstractions will be tricky to get around to make your site fully functional.

Rounded corners aren't so tricky if you find the right tool

http://www.roundedcornr.com/

or simply choose the right one

http://www.cssjuice.com/25-rounded-corners-techniques-with-css/

I don't know what leviathon was saying about the top align of the "please wait" and "login" elements

Look at the second template. "The videos will be here" box is perfectly top aligned with the "login" box. Now look at the third template and you will see that the "login" box is slightly below the "Please wait…" box because of the key image on the right.

ghotel

Reaction score
Thank you for all your feedback,

On the comments you have put ive finaly decided which template will best suite the site for the future. Ive made some modifacations but let me know what you think now.

Also, This is just a temp background image, Im not sure ill be keeping it.

3) http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3427/gpv301fc6.png

P.S, Im fixing the menu splitters issue.
Regards
Shaun

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,

I preferred a combination of your second and third templates. The second one, shows youi logo clearly, the third one looks more like a games site.

Your first one, and the 'final' template seem bitty - messy, a like a lot of others.

Great work potentially!

Max1337

Reaction score
I think the first one caters more to gamers than the others. It's the most mature layout as well as the most game driven one.

I'd have to agree with SilentKayos.
The first one does look much better, and suitable for gamers lol.

gptsven

Reaction score

I agree FIRST ONE FOR THE WINS

ghotel

Reaction score
Thank you, :)

As you can see from here: www.gamepenalty.com we have made alot of new changes. There is still alot of bugs which im about to fix in the next upload :)

sunils

Reaction score
All of them are good. But i vote for the third one. It nice and good.