Review my forum software

PunxRabble

Reaction score
Began learning PHP very recently and I've spent the past few weeks working on my own forum. I've reached a point where all of my features appear to function and decided to test it on an actual server. If anyone would mind visting, giving it a quick review and testing out anything they want it would be appreciated. Looking to resolve any bugs that anyone might encounter, etc. Also, any recommendation for changes/features would be great. The layout is pretty plain atm so don't mind that, I've spent most of my time on functionality rather than styling but I don't think it looks horrible.

http://thenoobclan.com

Thanks!

Last edited:

intlx10m

Reaction score
it doesn't look that horrible...in fact if you are a starter i must congratulate you that you did very well!. The hardest part which i find in web designing is CSS and js scripts. The user interface is not that good...So, you can work out a bit hard on UI and make it a little bit more good!..i have a question here there are like billions of forums out there!...What makes your forum different from others?

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm going to be blunt and to the point...

There are tons of free forum software out there. Your efforts to create one from scratch is my opinion is a waste of your valuable time, that NO ONE has enough of. Stop wasting it. You want to work on forum software, find a free one you like and add more features.

Let me ask, what is your purpose?
REALLY, what is it? What are you trying to accomplish?

I say this because I am 99.999999999% certain you will STOP working on this project of yours. And I hope 100% sincerely that you stop sooner than later.

Do not waste your valuable time. Time is NOT infinite. Figure out the above 2 posed questions and then post here so I can give you some guidelines. I see people waste their time needlessly, endlessly. And they wonder why they haven't accomplished anything in life.

So there it is!

---Your site...I dislike the color scheme, it is as Sakim stated hard on the eyes. It is missing a lot of features other free forum software offer... ie...what makes you and your software different?

If you can't address a need in life, if you can't offer value in life, then...you yourself will not earn something valuable. Makes sense?

-Harsh yes, but you seem young, do not waste your youth, working on something that offers no value.

Remember, it is offering value that brings green paper to your pockets. Think about that young lad.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Gotta clobber you there, John. Featuritis is a horrible disease that infects just about every piece of off-the-shelf software out there. Off-the-shelf means needing (on average) an order of magnitude more server than you really need to get the job done because it needs to support a plugin architecture that allows amphibian mind-meld interfaces and Outer Mongolian character sets. Not to mention that for a whole big bunch of people, building things is the fun aspect of this internet.

PunxRabble

Reaction score
I'm going to be blunt and to the point...

There are tons of free forum software out there. Your efforts to create one from scratch is my opinion is a waste of your valuable time, that NO ONE has enough of. Stop wasting it. You want to work on forum software, find a free one you like and add more features.

Let me ask, what is your purpose?
REALLY, what is it? What are you trying to accomplish?

I say this because I am 99.999999999% certain you will STOP working on this project of yours. And I hope 100% sincerely that you stop sooner than later.

Do not waste your valuable time. Time is NOT infinite. Figure out the above 2 posed questions and then post here so I can give you some guidelines. I see people waste their time needlessly, endlessly. And they wonder why they haven't accomplished anything in life.

So there it is!

---Your site...I dislike the color scheme, it is as Sakim stated hard on the eyes. It is missing a lot of features other free forum software offer... ie...what makes you and your software different?

If you can't address a need in life, if you can't offer value in life, then...you yourself will not earn something valuable. Makes sense?

-Harsh yes, but you seem young, do not waste your youth, working on something that offers no value.

Remember, it is offering value that brings green paper to your pockets. Think about that young lad.

Hmm, well I do appreciate the SMALL bit of feedback that you offered regarding my website. However, your rant is ridiculous. My purpose? I enjoy building things with PHP, a lot. I've wanted to write my own forum software since I was quite young, and have it function the way I wanted to. I've accomplished that and learned a lot about PHP along the way. I don't intend to try and market it, as I knew from the beginning that it would never take off and I don't intend to build a community with it. I'm simply using for a website of mine where a few friends gather and chat about gaming. No where in that thread did I say I was trying to launch a career or a business. You assume too much, my friend.

You mention that I should be working on something different and not wasting my time? That I should have something to offer in life? Do you really expect anyone to be able to read a book on programming and create the next big thing? I certainly hope not. You learn by doing and applying the things you discover along the way.

To me you come across as a little bit of an idiot. I'm not entirely sure why someone would waste their time rambling irrelevantly about ones value in life in a thread such as this. Chip on your shoulder? Possibly. Maybe you haven't done anything of value in your life to earn anything of value, so you express your frustrations on someone simply building a forum script out of desire to do so.

I'll continue on with my forum project, as I enjoy it. Maybe I'll move onto writing some better, more useful things in time.. on my own time, if I gain satisfaction by doing so. Not everything is about money, buddy. Hope I gave you something to think about.

Thank you to everyone else who offered constructive criticism and compliments. It is much appreciated. I would also like to note that I am not currently completely responsible for its current design. A good portion of it yes, but a design student from my school did a fair amount of the styling on certain pages while I did others.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow I was harsh. I'm not sure what was up with me when I posted it, but...

In due time you shall find, that time itself is precious. I am not sure as to your age, what you do for a living or anything else of that level. I uploaded a pic I took in 2012 a little while ago and have it as my background on my computer to keep me on track. I think on Friday the day before I posted that comment I ran into people who want something out of nothing. I pinpointed the reason as to why they don't have things they want and they went off yelling/screaming/being demeaning and anything else you can think of- because what I presented to them was the truth.

Life is not about money bud. But you do need it to live life. To me life is, when you love someone and they love you back. Life is when they want you and you want them for as long as there is an existence. Life is vacations, a nice car, dining out with your fiance or wife to all those restaurants you were not able to afford. Enjoying the fine meals, taking a bite into that meal and being able to sit there for hours, talking to each other, enjoying the ambiance, the jazz music in the background as you indulge upon your zesty dessert and companions words. Life is freedom. The freedom to do what you want when you want. True freedom. Being able to set things your own way. Being able to spontaneously surprise your relatives and brothers and sisters. Being able to spontaneously show up to their doorstep within days even if they are exactly on the other side of the world from your current location. Life is family, friendship and love.
Life is not waking up early in the morning, going to work for 8 hours and then coming up to see there is no longer daylight. And to continue such a vicious cycle. Life is not working 5 days so you can get 2 days off. Life is not that! Think about it...would you give away 5 dollars so they can give you 2 dollars? That's supposed to be life? Give 5 days away for 2 days of freedom?

You said I have not done anything of value in my life? ...here is a secret... Offer value to society, and you shall earn all that you want. Freedom is gained through such value you give to others.

I replied in a harsh tone to your post, for no known exact reason other than the reason that I do hope somehow you change. For the better, of your life. Towards a real life.

Idiotic, you said I am? Perhaps, for now, because you do not understand that to which I tell you.

No, I do not apologize for my words. I hope it strikes a nerve.

People use their lack of x, their xyz to why they fail. You yourself know what a success is. You yourself know what you can accomplish! Your yourself, can get you what you want! Your yourself. No other man, women or child shall act as your guide. No other man women or child shall aid in such strides.

From John Klyne

I want you to continue demeaning the way I think. And then I want you to think about what I wrote, so that you yourself can see what I see.

I will say it again. Do not waste your time. It is precious, use it wisely, for it will never be replenished!

Attachments

• bank statement.png
    bank statement.png
    657.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

PunxRabble

Reaction score
Wow I was harsh. I'm not sure what was up with me when I posted it, but...

In due time you shall find, that time itself is precious. I am not sure as to your age, what you do for a living or anything else of that level. I uploaded a pic I took in 2012 a little while ago and have it as my background on my computer to keep me on track. I think on Friday the day before I posted that comment I ran into people who want something out of nothing. I pinpointed the reason as to why they don't have things they want and they went off yelling/screaming/being demeaning and anything else you can think of- because what I presented to them was the truth.

Life is not about money bud. But you do need it to live life. To me life is, when you love someone and they love you back. Life is when they want you and you want them for as long as there is an existence. Life is vacations, a nice car, dining out with your fiance or wife to all those restaurants you were not able to afford. Enjoying the fine meals, taking a bite into that meal and being able to sit there for hours, talking to each other, enjoying the ambiance, the jazz music in the background as you indulge upon your zesty dessert and companions words. Life is freedom. The freedom to do what you want when you want. True freedom. Being able to set things your own way. Being able to spontaneously surprise your relatives and brothers and sisters. Being able to spontaneously show up to their doorstep within days even if they are exactly on the other side of the world from your current location. Life is family, friendship and love.
Life is not waking up early in the morning, going to work for 8 hours and then coming up to see there is no longer daylight. And to continue such a vicious cycle. Life is not working 5 days so you can get 2 days off. Life is not that! Think about it...would you give away 5 dollars so they can give you 2 dollars? That's supposed to be life? Give 5 days away for 2 days of freedom?

You said I have not done anything of value in my life? ...here is a secret... Offer value to society, and you shall earn all that you want. Freedom is gained through such value you give to others.

I replied in a harsh tone to your post, for no known exact reason other than the reason that I do hope somehow you change. For the better, of your life. Towards a real life.

Idiotic, you said I am? Perhaps, for now, because you do not understand that to which I tell you.

No, I do not apologize for my words. I hope it strikes a nerve.

People use their lack of x, their xyz to why they fail. You yourself know what a success is. You yourself know what you can accomplish! Your yourself, can get you what you want! Your yourself. No other man, women or child shall act as your guide. No other man women or child shall aid in such strides.

From John Klyne

I want you to continue demeaning the way I think. And then I want you to think about what I wrote, so that you yourself can see what I see.

I will say it again. Do not waste your time. It is precious, use it wisely, for it will never be replenished!
I appreciate your response, and while I found your first post to be unnecessarily harsh and somewhat off topic, I will apologize for how I worded my response. I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my thread and I understand where you're coming from

phoebex2

Reaction score
I'd join it and try to break it for you, but if that worked you might get mad at me. It looks okay, not my personal favorite on the colors and all but it's not my site.

What I would be interested in is seeing the guts of it, but it's your code and you don't even know me, so I'll not ask.

Your layout structure seems okay, you've got the threading and all going nicely, and it reminds me a little of what was it called, mboard? I think it was one of those perl forum scripts, or something. I'll amend that, it reminds me of it, but looks way better.

My personal aesthetics lean away from the tiny icons and stuff, but your forum looks at least as good as the majority of the homebrew forum scripts I've seen out there. And I agree with essellar, making things ourselves is part of the fun for a lot of us.

All that aside, I trust you've got good security in place? What sort of data storage or database are you using? Have you worked out a ban system, proxy detection, antispam? Is it SEO-friendly? And what's its resistance to jerkery like botnet bullying?

I'll give it a thumbs up so far for the decent layout and the fact you made it from scratch. If you've been working on the other features (necessities, rather) to any degree, you'll get the other thumb. That sounded wrong, but you know what I mean. I hope.

Last edited:

anamik.maju44

Reaction score
Well done. As a beginner, the result is quite good. It appears that you have emphasised on functionality more than styling. It is not at all horrible, your site looks good. But I would recommend you to put emphasis on styling also as styling and site designing is the main factor for driving visitors to your site. If you can successfully create your website with eye-catching design, that would be better.
Everything is working fine. Another thing I would suggest you is to add a visitor stats at the bottom part of your site as you can see in other forums where it will show, the total members of your forum, how many of them are currently online and you may also view the number of guests viewing your website at the same time.
Nice forum!

Thank you,

motesx10

Reaction score
Nice colors. Looks like you put alot of work into it. however the links at the top do seem hard to navigate at first. But, good job with the code.