Review My Website

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
Overall, a very nice design. Just a few suggestions:

- I'm not really fond of 'enter here' pages. I think a visitor should get to see most of what your website offers as soon as they land on your homepage. Instead, create a homepage that describes your website and links to different parts of the forum. Or, you can add one of those IPB mods that posts the latest data (i.e. latest topics, posts, stats, etc) on your homepage.

-What I am fond of is reading wise words! I really like the quotation box beneath the banner (does it change everytime you re-load the page? didn't do it for me.) Make it stand out. Create a border around it or change the background color slightly, etc..

-The logo! Make it stand out! The word 'pyloth' is so small compared to the header. No need to explain how important a logo is, eh?

-The empty space around the "power" button (lol) doesn't do much. Add small things on both sides.

-Too many sub-forums for such a new website. Most of them are empty. Let's see..Web development, Domain name and Web hosting could be merged into one forum (Web development). Funny junk, forum games and bored could all go into a "Lounge" or something..
I commented on every part of your post, but it logged me out when I posted it and I don't really want to type it all up again right now. Anyways,
+25 credits
Thanks Alot.

theafterthought

Reaction score
Having looked at your site, I feel you could do with a little something that explains the purpose and idea behind the site. It just could do with that bit of identity that puts it apart from other sites and explains what the user can find within - remember that most first-time visitors quickly scroll through the site like flicking through a book and at that point will either be hooked or simply go onto another site. So how about just a short text statement under the logo? For example, at the bottom of your sig you have "YOUR #1 DEVELOPMENT FORUM" - how about implementing that at the top of each webpage? Then the visitor doesn't have to look too deep before they know what the site is all about. Also, the forum style is very commonly used and can lose that individual feel a site should have - you could tweak the layout into something more unusual, if the skin allows you to do so. Anyway, nicely done and I hope the forum takes off successfully :)

vol7ron

Reaction score
Coming from someone who reviews websites professionally, I love your forum. As everyone should know, most forums are almost all the same, with very similar programming, whether its vBulletin or IP.Board. Generally, though, users don't change the default graphics, so you see much of the same-looking forums across the next. Your forum is nice though, it uses very well designed graphics. The skin provided by Skinground is a nice choice, especially to go with your Plyloth theme.

There are a few things I would change to make it a little more dynamic - even without using Flash or Animated GIFs. For starters, I might try customizing the different forum title icons. For instance, instead of the default icon next to Warcraft 3 Wilderness, I might put the Warcraft 3 Icon.

Another thing I would do is work on a hover-over menu at the top. Even though this is a skin, this is pretty easy to manage with Photoshop, just open the image, replace the gray with a white or red, and you're good to go. Overall, the color scheme is good and the site loads pretty quick for the quality of the images.

As others have said, the advertisement at the top is not a good idea. If you can you should place it some place lower on the page. Additionally, you should also note that it is an advertisement. The one I'm looking at just says "Data Recovery - Click Here", which is very misleading to the viewers and makes your site less trustworthy. A simple remedy is just to put "ad by X10Hosting.com" or "ad by Google"

Another good thing about the page is that from traversing the different links in the top menu, it seems as though the image is cached or the page is using AJAX to create the different portions of the site. Either way, this is a tremendous advantage as I'm not getting any flicker from page to page.

Great work so far. I'd like to see the rest of the site when you get a chance.

vol7ron

Edit:
One other thing to also consider is the different brightness levels of different monitors. I tried this on a different monitor (less bright, but better quality) and I couldn't really tell there was a color fade in the title image (right under the fangs going into the site name). This is something to consider when testing.

Last edited:

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
Having looked at your site, I feel you could do with a little something that explains the purpose and idea behind the site. It just could do with that bit of identity that puts it apart from other sites and explains what the user can find within - remember that most first-time visitors quickly scroll through the site like flicking through a book and at that point will either be hooked or simply go onto another site. So how about just a short text statement under the logo? For example, at the bottom of your sig you have "YOUR #1 DEVELOPMENT FORUM" - how about implementing that at the top of each webpage? Then the visitor doesn't have to look too deep before they know what the site is all about. Also, the forum style is very commonly used and can lose that individual feel a site should have - you could tweak the layout into something more unusual, if the skin allows you to do so. Anyway, nicely done and I hope the forum takes off successfully :)
+25 Credits
I will add the "YOUR #1 DEVELOPMENT FORUM" to the image. Never thought about that. Thanks.
Coming from someone who reviews websites professionally, I love your forum. As everyone should know, most forums are almost all the same, with very similar programming, whether its vBulletin or IP.Board. Generally, though, users don't change the default graphics, so you see much of the same-looking forums across the next. Your forum is nice though, it uses very well designed graphics. The skin provided by Skinground is a nice choice, especially to go with your Plyloth theme.

There are a few things I would change to make it a little more dynamic - even without using Flash or Animated GIFs. For starters, I might try customizing the different forum title icons. For instance, instead of the default icon next to Warcraft 3 Wilderness, I might put the Warcraft 3 Icon.

Another thing I would do is work on a hover-over menu at the top. Even though this is a skin, this is pretty easy to manage with Photoshop, just open the image, replace the gray with a white or red, and you're good to go. Overall, the color scheme is good and the site loads pretty quick for the quality of the images.

As others have said, the advertisement at the top is not a good idea. If you can you should place it some place lower on the page. Additionally, you should also note that it is an advertisement. The one I'm looking at just says "Data Recovery - Click Here", which is very misleading to the viewers and makes your site less trustworthy. A simple remedy is just to put "ad by X10Hosting.com" or "ad by Google"

Another good thing about the page is that from traversing the different links in the top menu, it seems as though the image is cached or the page is using AJAX to create the different portions of the site. Either way, this is a tremendous advantage as I'm not getting any flicker from page to page.

Great work so far. I'd like to see the rest of the site when you get a chance.

vol7ron

Edit:
One other thing to also consider is the different brightness levels of different monitors. I tried this on a different monitor (less bright, but better quality) and I couldn't really tell there was a color fade in the title image (right under the fangs going into the site name). This is something to consider when testing.
+25 Credits
I never thought about the ads like that. I had them at the top, because I ad the image ads due to hosting, btu decided to change to text ads. I'll add them to the bottom and add "x10hosting ads:" For the WC3 image, not sure how to chenge individual icons. They usually all link to one image. I'll figure it out sooner or later.
Thank You.

buhlool

Reaction score
I commented on every part of your post, but it logged me out when I posted it and I don't really want to type it all up again right now. Anyways,
+25 credits
Thanks Alot.

It would have been very interesting to see what your comments were.. (Can't you type them again? :p lol)

You're welcome. And, thanks for the credits.

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
It would have been very interesting to see what your comments were.. (Can't you type them again? :p lol)

You're welcome. And, thanks for the credits.
Will do.
Edit:
Overall, a very nice design.
Thanks.
- I'm not really fond of 'enter here' pages. I think a visitor should get to see most of what your website offers as soon as they land on your homepage. Instead, create a homepage that describes your website and links to different parts of the forum. Or, you can add one of those IPB mods that posts the latest data (i.e. latest topics, posts, stats, etc) on your homepage.
The enter page is jsut there till I add main or new content. If you used "pyloth.com" then you would of been sent straight to the forum. That mod is not a mod even though there some out there that enhance the use of what is called hte portal page which I will be adding soon.

-What I am fond of is reading wise words! I really like the quotation box beneath the banner (does it change everytime you re-load the page? didn't do it for me.) Make it stand out. Create a border around it or change the background color slightly, etc..
Yeah same here. I think it is a littl better now since I moved the ads to the bottom.

-The logo! Make it stand out! The word 'pyloth' is so small compared to the header. No need to explain how important a logo is, eh?
Lol I will edit that. I am going to add the slogan there as someone suggested.

-The empty space around the "power" button (lol) doesn't do much. Add small things on both sides.
Did you try to click it? It does do something...

-Too many sub-forums for such a new website. Most of them are empty. Let's see..Web development, Domain name and Web hosting could be merged into one forum (Web development). Funny junk, forum games and bored could all go into a "Lounge" or something..
Well, some can and I will do that, but for now I thinks its ok, because I am getting posts on there in some of the impty spots. For the Web stuff you mentioned, I can do that now. I will after the important stuff. :p

btw, I hope you didn't try to click the power button. xD It does nothing like you said.

Last edited:

Siaram

Reaction score
Very nice forum. The colors, the look the feel. I've been on many forums-probably hundreds and must say this is one of the best I've ever see. Good job my friend. Very impressive and easily navigable. :)

buhlool

Reaction score
The enter page is jsut there till I add main or new content. If you used "pyloth.com" then you would of been sent straight to the forum. That mod is not a mod even though there some out there that enhance the use of what is called hte portal page which I will be adding soon.

Portal page or whatever it's called. I haven't worked with IPB for years. I used to run an IPB powered forum 2-3 years, back when IPB was free.

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
Very nice forum. The colors, the look the feel. I've been on many forums-probably hundreds and must say this is one of the best I've ever see. Good job my friend. Very impressive and easily navigable. :)
+10 credits
Thanks

exemption

Reaction score
The forum is pretty neat...nice graphics..and I do think it is a user friendly environment..Should be a good success. Nice work!

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
HOLY ****!!! 1,533 views!!! WOW!!! Anyways, this is still going on...thanks to everyone who has commented. :]

Haavdwee

Reaction score
Nice website,only thing I dont like is the blue powerbutton, its just to blurry, the ''pyloth'' title is also too small. Except of that I like the website very much, nice clear forum.

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
Nice website,only thing I dont like is the blue powerbutton, its just to blurry, the ''pyloth'' title is also too small. Except of that I like the website very much, nice clear forum.
+10 credits
Thanks. What is blurry? The powerbutton? Yeah, been trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Artifice

Reaction score
I've looked through peoples' suggestions and I tried to come up with a few things that nobody has mentioned.

On your portal, when I click the enter here button the picture gets highlighted with red (look at the attached image). I've searched and can't find a simple solution for this so maybe someone else can help out. At the very least change the color of it so that it doesn't stand out so much.

Also, try changing the color of the font for your ads so that they blend in more. You can also try moving the images to the center of the page so that the text isn't where the visitor's eye is drawn to first.

Finally, I like the theme of the whole site and how you kept it consistent. Looks nice. Keep the credits I don't want them.

EDIT: The border on the image is only a problem in FF. The solution is this. If you don't know how to use a stylesheet then just insert this in the head of your page:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
a {
    outline: none;
 }
a img {
    border:none;
 }
</style>

Attachments

• splash.JPG
    splash.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
I've looked through peoples' suggestions and I tried to come up with a few things that nobody has mentioned.
Yeah, pretty hard to do with all the replies (lmao), but I see you have. :]

On your portal, when I click the enter here button the picture gets highlighted with red (look at the attached image). I've searched and can't find a simple solution for this so maybe someone else can help out. At the very least change the color of it so that it doesn't stand out so much.
It highlights just like that, but white for me. You could also use www.pyloth.com instead so you don't have to see the portal page. :p

Also, try changing the color of the font for your ads so that they blend in more. You can also try moving the images to the center of the page so that the text isn't where the visitor's eye is drawn to first.
What ads? I don't see how they can get drawn to them first if they are the very bottom and are text ads, not image ads.

Finally, I like the theme of the whole site and how you kept it consistent. Looks nice. Keep the credits I don't want them.
Thanks for the review and I stil want to give you credits for reading other reviews (ALOT of them) and posting a unique one. Besides, my credits are special. Lol :p

+25 credits

Last edited:

Artifice

Reaction score
On my screen the ads are a brighter blue than the rest of the page. You might not have seen that I edited my previous post, it helps us FF users have a more pleasant experience on your site :cool:

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
EDIT: The border on the image is only a problem in FF. The solution is this. If you don't know how to use a stylesheet then just insert this in the head of your page:

Code:
<style type="text/css">

a {

outline: none;

}

a img {

border:none;

}

</style>
Will do. Thanks a bunch. xD

On my screen the ads are a brighter blue than the rest of the page. You might not have seen that I edited my previous post, it helps us FF users have a more pleasant experience on your site :cool:
I use both IE and FF. I thought you meant on the forum page, but you mean the portal. Yea, I'm not to worried about the portal all too much right now due to www.pyloth.com forwarding to my forum and not portal, but thanks very much.

BTW: The portal page is the only page I did myself from scratch (very simple). xD

Last edited:

rs.top

Reaction score
I liked the look of the site. It made me want to look around the site. I think it is cool that you are trying to help other peepz out on their site. I really want to sign up on their but i dont have the time.