Review new portfolio design.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
It is suppose to be a bit minimalistic, I find that people often fill their portfolios with so much stuff it takes away from the content. As for it being "big" what do you mean by that? The site itself is my take on the one page design style which is gaining popularity. Of course, it is a little plain now because I haven't added any content to it...

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Hmm...The text about me is suppose to be that size to act as an emphasis about who I am. The text text is going to change, so I never bothered to edit the font properties.

jmcgowan

Reaction score
For being a one page site (a format I'm not loving yet...) it's look's pretty nice. Personally I'd pick a different font for the content text, because the current one is a little hard to read. Also, your final anchor for the Why section is off. It actually brings you a smidgen below the Where anchor. Other than that it's a pretty good layout. The colors are complementary and the rollovers are well used. One comment though, the picture of (what I assume to be) your face is somewhat creepy with how it blends into the background...

diamondpc

Reaction score
It looks if you ask me. almost a one of a kind.. not sure if thats a good thing or not.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I like it. Looking through it, it's very plain (I like that) and the point your trying to get across is easy to see.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You successfully followed the latest techniques in making a portfolio site buy your design skills are just not good enough.

First of all that boring gray background is far from attractive and (I suppose) your sketched portrait is good for you personal site but not so good for a portfolio.

Typography combination is just wrong.

There's barely any graphics here to call it a portfolio site.

...review the design please...
Well you asked for it :biggrin:

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
You successfully followed the latest techniques in making a portfolio site buy your design skills are just not good enough.

First of all that boring gray background is far from attractive and (I suppose) your sketched portrait is good for you personal site but not so good for a portfolio.

Typography combination is just wrong.

There's barely any graphics here to call it a portfolio site.

Well you asked for it :biggrin:

I was planning of changing the background, but I hadn't made the final choice yet. I have no experience with typography, so I know that thats a bit touch and go. As the the photo, you see a lot of portfolio's with the designers picture/sketch on it. I think it gives the site a bit more character. As the graphics, I was trying to make a somewhat minimalistic design which was less dependent on graphics.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
OK we'll see the final version then :)

As the the photo, you see a lot of portfolio's with the designers picture/sketch on it. I think it gives the site a bit more character.

Yes you're right ... but you didn't skatched it. You only applyed some basic filters (in Photoshop I guess). I think I uderstand you. You are a web not a graphic designer. I that case (and if you want to go real professional) I recommend you find a graphic designer (a friend of yours or something). If you can't find one to be your partner just hire somebody. I don't know where you live or whether there's graphic designers hanging around in you area but I strongly recommend you hire somebady who lives within one-hour ride from you.

As the graphics, I was trying to make a somewhat minimalistic design which was less dependent on graphics.

You have to separate two things here. Minimalistic is not the same as empty. This is minimalistic http://www.rikcat.com/. You can't just make a portfolio site without any graphics and say it's minimalistic. People need to see what you can do before hiring you. That's what portfolio is all about. You have to show them what's the best thing you can do because YOU make your own portfolio. That means there's no limitations, no deadline, no budget leaving you to do your best. If this is your best then I wish you good luck cos you'll gonna need it.

If you're not comfortable with this much critic, please say so and I'll stop posting. I don't mean to offend you or your skills but I also can't say that everything looks good when it doesn't.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
I see the problem :). I am still have quite a bit to learn and making a portfolio was just one of the things I wanted to try. As for finding a graphic designer, that would be a little hard, I have no money, heck I can't even drive yet :D. The objective of the site wasn't really to get hired, just another thing to try and increase my skills. And I can handle criticism, I'm not the best, and I know that. Given what you and a bunch of others have said, I will probably just redesign the thing.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Thanks for the links, hopefully I will be able to follow some of the tutorials with GIMP instead of photoshop :)

Last edited: