Review Please

balaji2u

Reaction score
I renewed my sites look and always trying to switch the themes which i find sexy.
now please review my site and let me tell that can i stick with this skin or not!!
www.ultraoli.info
And also review this site too.
www.livearticles.info

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
uhm...those link back to x10hosting...not sure if it is supposed to.

Scott B

Reaction score
The first design is very nice. There might be a little too much white in the header, but otherwise I love it :p
9.5/10

The second design is very nice and professional looking, but also a little...boring. My advice would be to do something with all the white space, and maybe change the font in the header image.
8/10

Good luck :)

cobyone

Reaction score
I renewed my sites look and always trying to switch the themes which i find sexy.
now please review my site and let me tell that can i stick with this skin or not!!
www.ultraoli.info
And also review this site too.
www.livearticles.info

First design:
the function of the little orange ribbon you have to display the number of comments is unclear. Partly due to the fact that only displaying "COM" is not obvious that this is an abbreviation for comments. Partly also to the minute font used (I am young and have good eyesight, but many people arent).

Your search box is also not clear that it is a search box. the icon looks like a folder (most people wouldnt see the little magnifying glass). Perhaps consider putting the text "Search..." in the box, and have the text disappear when the user clicks into it. Also there is no "GO!" or "Search" button - users look for these sort of visual cues and calls to action when they try and decipher how a website works.

Lastly, when you turn off css and look at the semantic html of the design, the title of the site is "Site360" - not "ULTRAOLI" like in the image. Search engines cannot read text in images, so semantic html is important if you want search engines to index your site properly.

Second design:
The design is a little cleaner than the first, but it is a bit boring for a couple of reasons.

The fonts used in the logo and not consistent with the rest of the look/feel in any way. Aside from the logo, the rest of the site is all styled in what appears to be the same font. This means that there is less distinction between one page element and the next.

The sidebar on the left looks different from the sidebar on the right, and both of them look different to the menu bar. If you could apply a consistent style across many of the page elements, it would help to tie your site together visually a little more. Consider making the title bar for each of the sidebar items to have the same gradient background as the menu bar, and to have the content section of each sidebar on both sides being consistent across all sidebar items.

This site scales well, however because it stretches right out at 100% all the time, I'd suggest giving it a max-width of 1000px or so - that way if someone views it on a 30 inch screen, they'll not have to take a five minute walk to go from one sidebar to the other. For standards compliant browsers, you can do this with the max-width: 1000px property, but for IE (which decided it didn't need no stinkin' max-width property) you need to use a css expression which is easy, but its not technically valid css. If you want the code to do this for IE just reply back =)

Overall:
Nice designs, just watch the usability side of things - try and get in the habit of testing your designs in different browsers, and also testing with images and/or css turned off so you can see what they do for screen readers and less fortunate web users.