Review the DoIt Site Please....

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The site has not been advertised or anything like that yet.

Any reviews made, on this site, thank you for your input in advance. You can post it here on that DoIt forums, if you have any suggestions or anything of that sort.

Things no comment is needed on: The Logo, and some of the news-(nothing to really put yet)

Feel free to review the rest of the DoIt.ElementFX.Com site, and tell me what you think.

And one question: I paid for the theme, do you think it is worth it? For the theme that is already being used on the DoIt.ElementFX.Com site?

The original way the theme was shown to me is at this site.

Well thank you in advance.

John Klyne
DoIt.ElementFX.Com Administrator

xmakina

Reaction score
An interesting premise for a website, but you will need strict moderation and controls to stop it degrading into "I WILL PAY YOU $10 (TEN AMERICAN DOLLARS) TO STRIP FOR ME ON CAM".

In terms of the actual site - go through it page by page and remove everything the template generated. There's a lot of rubbish on there that is from your template and that just reeks of bad web design and management. It's a pretty easy way of saying "I don't give a crap about this place. Gimme money." I was going to list areas of note, but it's the whole site.

You get 0 marks for design and implementation as you've clearly just slapped on a template and clicked a few buttons.

The actual content is a little... confused. The "Welcome to DoIt" newspost talks about paying people and being paid to do things. Then in the news section there is a "We are Volunteers" post that suggests everyone in the community is doing things for free. Make sure your site delivers a consistent and clear message throughout.

The site also seems to alternate between "Pay folks to do stuff" to "You can do anything" motivational site. Again, make the message clear and consistent. Is it one or the other?

How are you protecting do-ers from requesters and vice versa? I see no payment options, no structured user system, no advice or indeed anything. I did find your forum, but one link buried in a news post does not constitute "Easy to find". That and your forum system is quite poor. Consider moving to phpBB if possible.

It's an interesting idea and I hope something comes of it. However, in terms of website design and implementation, including content, I'm going to give you 0. It's a template, that hasn't been modified and the content is very haphazard.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Strict moderation for it degrading into anything related to stripping on web cam, is definitely something I would have to work on, as I can think of a number of ways this site can turn into that immediately.

I will remove a number of things the template generated.
The "I don't give a crap about this place. Gimme money." has to be worked out, as I am not really trying to make more then a couple of cents off of this from anyone that will hopefully use it.
---
You said...."The actual content is a little... confused. The "Welcome to DoIt" newspost talks about paying people and being paid to do things. Then in the news section there is a "We are Volunteers" post that suggests everyone in the community is doing things for free. Make sure your site delivers a consistent and clear message throughout."

Welcome to DoIt-news post does have to be changed, I wanted the site to be a place where people can pay or not pay some money to have someone do something while posting their proof of having done it, through a video camera upload ( or something like that ).
---
"The site also seems to alternate between "Pay folks to do stuff" to "You can do anything" motivational site. Again, make the message clear and consistent. Is it one or the other?"

I wanted to make the site, one that people can go and pay folks to do stuff but also add in what other type of site I wanted into it. I should probably separate them both some way. Somehow.....any suggestion on how that can be done, while it is still on the same web-address frame? Or do you think I should just go separate them both completely into their own 2 separate sites?

---
"How are you protecting do-ers from requesters and vice versa? I see no payment options, no structured user system, no advice or indeed anything. I did find your forum, but one link buried in a news post does not constitute "Easy to find". That and your forum system is quite poor. Consider moving to phpBB if possible."

Do-ers from requesters and vice versa for their protection- I have not really thought of that....I was going to just let the users post requests or do things freely, without being restricted to only one of those things.

The Forum isn't easy to find, and yes I do believe I should consider moving to phpBB.

---

"It's an interesting idea and I hope something comes of it. However, in terms of website design and implementation, including content, I'm going to give you 0. It's a template, that hasn't been modified and the content is very haphazard."

That is true, and the content is very haphazard now that I am looking it over. I should have put more time into it.
---

Your comments are welcome and honest.

Thank you.
From John Klyne,
DoIt.ElementFX.Com Administrator

xmakina

Reaction score
any suggestion on how that can be done, while it is still on the same web-address frame? Or do you think I should just go separate them both completely into their own 2 separate sites?
Owing to the Terms of Sevice ("Each individual is allowed ONE account only"), you've only got the subfolder option, really. I wouldn't worry too much though as I find it works a treat. I run 3 websites off my account, each one in a subfolder and the root folder is the company information (well, it will be!).

If / when you start making some money you could buy 2 domain names, one fore each subfolder :)

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Subfolders, yea I made the new forum on one, (Or just added it some how) the site idea is one like no other...i'm not a great salesperson to present a product or anything, but when it comes to ideas if I knew how to advertise and sell them I would make loads.

Going to upgrade account once I make the first 10 $ off of it, then all the rest of the income will go a paypal account to pay for the domain name/site promotions.

There are thousands of people who would love to pay others to do something just to see them do it...if that makes sense, I have asked people in person and they all have something they want others to do just to show they are not afraid of the consequences or anything like that.

There is no other site that helps people with this kind of thing....once it really starts to get rolling, the admin (myself) would start receiving income then the mods and so on. (Of course it will take time, but if youtube is still out there to host the proof of someone having done something then, yea this should work out well.

cobyone

Reaction score
Design wise, I think it looks like a theme that's been purchased.

Designs don't need to be complicated. They *do* need to be relevant, and they *do* need to reinforce what you're trying to say with your site. My advice would be to consider your brand's identity a little more before picking your website design. If your website design looks like this, and uses those colours and those fonts, then your business card, stationery, invoices etc needs to use the same consistent elements.

The reason this site looks good in the example one on the rocket theme website is because all the sections are filled up with content that fits in with the tech-looking, gradient-and-image driven theme (i.e. pictures of sleek cars and their reflections, pictures of stylish models with sunnies on. etc). I could quite easily imaging a company that did advertising/marketing for things like cars/fashion/electronics/etc using a theme kinda like this one, but from the sound of it, your website will be doing something completely different.

In terms of reviewing your site - you bought it. Rocket theme do some nice templates and they sell them to people. They don't get paid because people's sites blend seamlessly with the sort of image an organisation needs to project. If you are serious about using this template for your organisation, I'd consider teaching yourself a bit of code and ripping out many of the elements that are clearly unnecessary for your purposes.

Also displaying orange text on a green gradient background is very hard to see. I've been designing sites for years, but any normal person can tell you when text is hard to read. I'd recommend getting some normal people (family / colleagues) to try and use your site and see what comments they have.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It is true RocketTheme template I have may not go well with the site and what I want it to present to the public.

If people could please comment
on the forum for the site.

Feel free to post on your suggestions on the site or on this (preferred).

Thankyou.
From John Klyne
DoIt.ElementFX.Com