RewriteBase in .htaccess File

Al Lua

Reaction score
I am currently maintaining the Science Bowl Team website for my school, Daniel Wright.
Utilizing a chat function, I'm using phpFreeChat. Previously, it has been working, however, something happened, and I haven't changed anything myself, and this error pops up.
Code:
mod_rewrite must be enabled server side and correctly configured. "RewriteBase" could be adjusted in server/.htaccess file.
Don't see a htaccess file, at least in /server, or more of I don't find one at all.

The URL for the website is http://dwsbteam.tk/. The chat function is in the private members section. I will not create a guest account for testing purposes.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
#1 - I assume there is a [ .htaccess ] file - your site was working - and you did not delete it
be sure to select [ Show Hidden Files (dotfiles) ] in cPanel X3 before you enter [ File Manager ]

#2 - There are some issues with your sever [ xo1 ] - see --> [ http://status.x10hosting.com/ ]
that may have to do with your "mod_rewrite" issue

Al Lua

Reaction score
I tried putting

Code:
# invoke rewrite engine
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /~new/

# add trailing slash if missing
    rewriteRule ^(([a-z0-9\-]+/)*[a-z0-9\-]+)$ $1/ [NC,R=301,L]

in the .htaccess file I found in public_html.

No prevail. I still receive the error

Code:
mod_rewrite must be enabled server side and correctly configured. "RewriteBase" could be adjusted in server/.htaccess file.

in phpFreeChat.

I'm going to admit, I'm a complete noob at server and htaccess and all this... I'm only the web developer. :)

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi Al Lua,

I'm currently not seeing a hosting account linked to your forum account. Please could you either link the accounts in your cPanel, or provide me with your cPanel username? :)

Thank you,

Al Lua

Reaction score
I am starting to be driven nuts by the fact I'm being completely ignored for already a whole week... :cautious:
If I'm stuck fixing it myself, well, I guess let it be that way...... :banghead:

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Previously, it has been working, however, something happened, and I haven't changed anything myself, and this error pops up.
I assume this has something to do with - recently x10hosting has gone back to running [ Apache ] from [ LiteSpeed ] on the free-hosting servers
mod_rewrite must be enabled server side and correctly configured. "RewriteBase" could be adjusted in server/.htaccess file
you should add more tests - but here is a start...
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} /+[^\.]+$
RewriteRule ^(.+[^/])$ %{REQUEST_URI}/ [R=301,L]

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a server issue. It is a scripting issue. As the web developer and webmaster, it is your responsibility to take care of this.

I'm moving this thread to Scripts and 3rd Party Applications.