Ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

massimo

Reaction score
Unable to login and still no resolution to my addon domain problems.

Currently 5% downtime for my addon.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey massimo,

You account is one of those which have been moved. Please be patient, everything will be fixed soon :)

~Callum

blewis11219

Reaction score
No you can't but you cant expect 8 days down either. You are offering a services for nothing in exchange, there was no warning about the down time, and no notice to back up files. So I don't care if its not up all the time, I dont care if its down for 30 days I would just like a resonable explanation and to have had a chance to back up my files and database.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
No you can't but you cant expect 8 days down either. You are offering a services for nothing in exchange, there was no warning about the down time, and no notice to back up files. So I don't care if its not up all the time, I dont care if its down for 30 days I would just like a resonable explanation and to have had a chance to back up my files and database.

It's a one off. I've been with x10hosting for quite a few years, and it has only been down for this long a couple times.

~Callum

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
A notice were given: http://status.x10hosting.com/ Yes, I know, some accounts had already started its journey to the new server when that was posted.

The user is responsible to keep an up to date backup, it's even stated in the TOS you agreed to that you are responsible for that.

I don't even see an addon domain listed for your account. It is possible that cPanel lost that setting in the move, in which case you should be able to add it back.

ADD: Looks as there's now a couple addon domains listed with your account, I'm gonna guess that the finalizing maintenance is not fully done. If your addon domain still doesn't work properly within the next 12 hours, please post back and let me know which one fails for you.

Last edited:

whizzy

Reaction score
so...in fact your saying. if you don't have a back-up...tough luck, not our responsibility? x10 has no obligation to treat the files of their users with the upmost care. I should check that "status" page every time my site has a connection problem? i better make it my startpage then. Do i understand correctly that x10 takes no responsibility for this (widespread) problem whatsoever?

how about making a forumtopic explaining this to your members, instead of having those members needing to ask wtf is going on.

i used to be very happy with x10 but you ruined my work TWICE now!!!!!!!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course we do care about the files, and when we are doing planned maintenance that involves transferring files and accounts between servers, we always have a backup plan. The unplanned things, like server failure for instance may result in loss of data unfortunately.

What I'm trying to say is that you agreed to the TOS, which does state backups are your responsibility, so you shouldn't come complaining when we start a major maintenance that you didn't do your part and backed up your account.

It is possible that we could have announced the maintenance a bit more in advance, but the events that lead up to this started with a failing disk on cossacks which meant we had to start the migration a bit sooner then planned.

You should also be aware that database is on a separate server from the files, so even in the event of file loss, there should be a backup of the database, which for many is the most important part judging by how the community voted a while back regarding backups.

When there's something big going on and that is a server wide issue that we are working on that status page would hold relevant information, although sometimes we dive into sorting the issue rather then post about it, depending on the severity of the problem.

All planned maintenance will be announced there, or in some cases in the forums "News and Announcement" section as well, the status page is the primary source of information for matters concerning free hosting.

Both the posts at the status page and the "News and Announcement" section of this forum, is shown on the first page you see when logging into your account panel.

When it comes to your lost files whizzy, please submit your own support thread for escalation and we'll look into where your files went and re-transfer them if needed.

Last edited:

whizzy

Reaction score
I already did open a support request. Fact is that this is the second time within 6 months that my entire site is gone..the previous time i got a "sorry but your files can not be restored". I did read the status page and it is not the problem that i can not acces mysql or cPanel (although i can not check right now since fris seems to be offline) the problem is that a host i trusted has failed me twice in a big way now. I probably will try once more but for the time being i will certainly NOT recommend this host to anyone

p.s, my support request topic is like two or three below this one...maybe 5 now)

p.s 2 thanks for escalating Anna

p.s 3 http://x10hosting.com/forums/free-hosting/127756-thank-you-x10-hosting.html

Last edited:

dlukin

Reaction score
1. Cron jobs have been hit-and-miss. So automating backups is hard.
2. Some backup programs have caused high resource suspensions.
3. Corey can send out a 'paid' advertisement to everybody, but you claim it is "impossible" to send out an email alert when something like this is going to happen?
4. Yes, one server was failing. But two others were moved without warning too.
5. http://status.x10hosting.com/ is a joke, pure and simple. The Absolut migration post was at least two days after it began. Besides, I thought we were required to log in every 31 days, not every day?
6. Please do not give false hopes about lost files. You guys did that before. This is the third move in the past 5 months. x10 lost files and whole accounts in the first two moves and all you did was say "sorry". You do not have readily available backups for individual accounts, period.
7. Having the database separate is nice, but if I need my site to be up, I need the data. I can find alternative hosting for a short while and switch the DNS, but I need my files/data. And I need fair warning.

reni2040

Reaction score
please tell me whtr i can restore my deleted files or not ?....i can now login to Cpanel, but all my files are missing ....please please reply..

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Besides, I thought we were required to log in every 31 days, not every day?
Free hosting users are required to log in to the forums once a month in order to avoid suspension for inactivity.
NOT every day. Why would you think it is every day?

Having the database separate is nice, but if I need my site to be up, I need the data. I can find alternative hosting for a short while and switch the DNS, but I need my files/data.
Backup your files and databases on a regular basis. If something goes wrong or you decide to move your hosting then you will have recent copies of your files and databases. This is not hard to do and only takes a few minutes. I usually do it on a daily basis.
If it is critical that your website be up and running at all times then you need to consider paid hosting.
Some backup programs have caused high resource suspensions.
Try the procedure posted in Free Hosting FAQ's . I have never had any issues with high resource suspensions backing up this way.
Cron jobs have been hit-and-miss. So automating backups is hard.
Suggestions above do not require Cron job. Is automating backups really necessary? Is it that difficult to do manual backups periodically?

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Hangon who said the files had been lost?

~Callum

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
Free hosting users are required to log in to the forums once a month in order to avoid suspension for inactivity.
NOT every day. Why would you think it is every day?

Because many members have complained about the multiple times that their accounts have been suspended due to (false) inactivity.

Backup your files and databases on a regular basis. If something goes wrong or you decide to move your hosting then you will have recent copies of your files and databases. This is not hard to do and only takes a few minutes. I usually do it on a daily basis.
This shows the lack of trust in x10 servers being up...

If it is critical that your website be up and running at all times then you need to consider paid hosting.
If its needed to upgrade to paid hosting, then obviously x10 is considered to be a crook and can be sued for false advertisements as it does state that they do backups everyday for FREE users.

Try the procedure posted in Free Hosting FAQ's . I have never had any issues with high resource suspensions backing up this way.

Suggestions above do not require Cron job. Is automating backups really necessary? Is it that difficult to do manual backups periodically?
They are necessary when a site is down very often. If users were able to access their cpanel then maybe they could do manual backups. The sad part is that if you look closely at the fine print then you'll see "99.9% Uptime Guarantee" has an X meaning no for FREE users...

Last edited:

reni2040

Reaction score
I thaught x10 host will backup files when moving to new server.... so should i upload it again ?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
From Terms Of Service:
Backups are the sole responsibility of the customer. x10Hosting retains and offers backups to the customer but does not guarantee this service from failure. It is recommended all customers keep their own backups.

If its needed to upgrade to paid hosting, then obviously x10 is considered to be a crook and can be sued for false advertisements as it does state that they do backups everyday for FREE users.
As I stated earlier, if it is critical for your website to be up and running on a very consistent and reliable basic then you need paid hosting. Last report I saw free servers were averaging over 95 percent uptime even with server moves and migrations. If you need better, upgrade. See quote above from TOS regarding backups.

If users were able to access their cpanel then maybe they could do manual backups.
If users were doing regular backups, (as suggested many times in these forums), - advice many users follow including myself - then everybody would have had a recent backup of their accounts and databases before their cPanel's went down.

Having said all of that, I understand your frustration and assure you that x10Hosting staff is aware of complaints about missing files and is investigation the issue and seeking possible solutions. If a solution is found users affected will be made aware of that solution.

Last edited:

dani22

Reaction score
backup is the first thing you will learn in programming, if you don't know how, go back to school...

massimo

Reaction score
ADD: Looks as there's now a couple addon domains listed with your account, I'm gonna guess that the finalizing maintenance is not fully done. If your addon domain still doesn't work properly within the next 12 hours, please post back and let me know which one fails for you.

The addon that's still not working is krazybov.com

It worked for one day last week [30 June] then went down.

Can't log into cpanel to add it myself again. Also can't access cpanel through acount panel. krazybov.com shows up on my list of Addon Domains in my Hosting Account Management Panel.

I am experiencing downtime on subdomains too.

Status
Not open for further replies.