ROLL_OVER or CLICK - your opinion wanted!

Which menu do you prefer?

• First one is better! (ROLL_OVER)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I prefer the second one. (CLICK)

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Both suck. You should stop this and get a life instead! Okay, okay, I'll post my suggestion below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Markstar

Reaction score
Last edited:

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
I think ROLL_OVER is the better option.

You should use this

Markstar

Reaction score
Argh, hold on... I have not even uploaded the two examples yet! :biggrin:

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
The rollover is better, but both menus take far too long to start up. Get rid of the animation and have the items appear as soon as the menu is loaded. If you must, give the items a half-second fade-in animation.

--- Mr. DOS

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Or, don't use flash and instead use just plain old HTML, CSS, and JS.

earthinc

Banned
Reaction score
I read a study about a year ago on a website that I stumbleupponed. The average consensus is that people generally like to click. People like to be in charge of physically making things happen, and with rollover, sometimes things like menus just get in the way by moving your mouse. It was a large poll, and clicks beat rollovers by thousands of votes. Sorry, don't remember the website or I'd show you.

Markstar

Reaction score
Thanks you guys so far for your input!!!

The vote is 50/50 right now - I really don't know what to do. I agree that the rollover is more fun, but otoh I think it is annoying that if you go down, your mouse isn't really on the next item anymore (because the previouse element was closed and the elements moved up).

@leafypiggy: I'm also going to give users the option to use a pure HTML/CSS version.

I'm new to Flash, so there are some things I have yet to figure out. For example, I would like to be able to play the "intro" animation only when users come from outside. If they just move within my site, I would like to skip that "buildup" animation. ;)

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
Click is better since you dont get annoyed when you are trying to do something else and it just pops up and you have to waste time moving your cursor time and time again

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I like the click menu better because it doesn't retract if you accidentally move your mouse out of the menu options.