Roller~Poster

fflandrath53

Reaction score
Roller~Poster is what I call a content aggregator (public) and bookmark service (public and private, with registration). It's an evolving application that I've been playing around with for a couple years. Recently I've added several new modules, including the Associated Press on line content (53 categories of news from around the world). AP stories can be bookmarked to both public and private collections. And, if you are total news junkie you might like the Al Jazeera English live stream, or Reuters pics and vids embeded widget, CSPAN, Democracy Now daily report, NPR hourly report and more...

Let me know your what you think.

Roller~Poster

Last edited:

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi Floyd

I like the idea of public bookmarks as a way of promoting more obscure sites that people are otherwise unlikely to find and using RSS news feeds as a source of content is a good idea.

As for the site itself .... layout, graphics, useability and navigation aside for moment there is a more fundamental problem.

Allthough javascript is a wonderful tool for performing on screen wizardry this magic only happens inside a visitors web browser, search engines however only read the source code as sent from the web server and do not process any of the javascript. So what you see on screen and what the google search engine looks at are very different.

Remember Google can only index and rank the site according to what it can see.

There is obviously some server side scripting going on behind the scenes (you really should prevent directory browsing) and would suggest you explore using this more to process the feeds and store some of that content in order that it may be included into a page for passing search engines to read.

chessteaching48

Reaction score
I tried to add a site, but this resulted in "A reCAPTCHA error has occured, (message: incorrect-captcha-sol)", which I didn't understand. I was unable to find any captcha.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I tried to add a site, but this resulted in "A reCAPTCHA error has occured, (message: incorrect-captcha-sol)", which I didn't understand. I was unable to find any captcha.
Yes.
Similar thing happend to me on Mozilla firefox.
It took a while to understand the site though.
Nice site but please post a brief startup which squeezes public there as it is a typical intelligent site to be easily understood.
Good programming skills by the way.

fflandrath53

Reaction score
Thank you all for taking the time and effort to point out the reCaptcha error. I found the problem and it seems to be working fine now.

As for SEO I have not put that much thought into it and have focused primarily on the coding. I think you are right about the directories, Cybrax, and will look into blocking them from view.

Thanks again, Floyd

stardom

Reaction score
Programming is all good skill. The only thing you need to work on is graphics I think. SEO can be easy for some sites. First work on the layout and as vv.bbcc19 said work on the squeeze. Once you have that. With more visitors your SEO will improve automatically. Plus it takes some time for a site to become established. Just give it time and fine tune everything. Other then that looking good

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Agree to fullest.
SEO is a daily activity..submitting to search engines, article directories, advertizing, developing contacts for backlinks , newsletters ,mailing lists etc are to be done on day to day basis.
Its takes time and effort but it pays finally.
Programming is all good skill. The only thing you need to work on is graphics I think. SEO can be easy for some sites. First work on the layout and as vv.bbcc19 said work on the squeeze. Once you have that. With more visitors your SEO will improve automatically. Plus it takes some time for a site to become established. Just give it time and fine tune everything. Other then that looking good

fflandrath53

Reaction score
Thanks to both stardom and vv.bbcc19 for their comments. It's clear to me you guys are playing at a much higher level than me. I'm happy if I can just make the site load without errors...:)

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm..
not at any higher level..the site was awesome anyways.

fflandrath53

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I upgraded from free hosting last month and have set up the latest release of Roller~Poster at my new domain, greenfloyd.org

Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

Thank you and thank you X10 hosting...
Floyd (greenfloyd)