RPG and Adventure games, do graphics or story and battle style matter most to you?

jdawg2k

Reaction score
I honestly care more about the story and battle style than the graphics in RPGs and Adventure games. What about you?

mike02x90

Reaction score
Re: RPG and Adventure games, do graphics or story and battle style matter most to you

I honestly care more about the story and battle style than the graphics in RPGs and Adventure games. What about you?

+1
I agree as well!
But nowadays most of the people are more of graphics then anything else and its quite proven.

Even the worst game can have excellent graphics then a game with excellent gameplay and story people will choose the graphic game over the RPG game, its sad :frown:

dragonsoulj

Reaction score
Re: RPG and Adventure games, do graphics or story and battle style matter most to you

Graphics matters enough to be able to play the game without major strain. After that it is purely icing on the cake. The system and story play a much bigger part. It's hard to enjoy the game if you try to do one thing in the system and it completely offsets your entire game. And a bad story just makes a game harder to get into and play.

jdawg2k

Reaction score

I dunno. I've heard so many complaints about FFXII & FFXIII that its pitiful. Its also part of what inspired this thread.
+1
I agree as well!
But nowadays most of the people are more of graphics then anything else and its quite proven.

Even the worst game can have excellent graphics then a game with excellent gameplay and story people will choose the graphic game over the RPG game, its sad :frown:

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

So as long as the graphics are at minimum the quality of Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana and the story and play are as good or better then the RPG should make it?
Graphics matters enough to be able to play the game without major strain. After that it is purely icing on the cake. The system and story play a much bigger part. It's hard to enjoy the game if you try to do one thing in the system and it completely offsets your entire game. And a bad story just makes a game harder to get into and play.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score

I like the combination of both stories and graphics.At least graphics:stories should be 2:3.RPG game like GTA vice city don't have better graphics then nfsmw, but in terms of story gtaVC is winner.Similarly tomb raider series have good stories plus graphics.So it is one of the popular game.
Graphics matters enough to be able to play the game without major strain.
So graphics matters too and good story set is necessary, otherwise what is the point of creating a role playing game.

unocoleader

Reaction score

It's definitally "the whole thing". Every aspect in single game has it's part, meaning that if something lacks, usually something boosts. Let's take an example: Crackdown 2 Demo didn't have best possible graphics, but controls and camera + playability brought points up. As another example, let us take an older title, lets say umh.. Doom 2 or Duke3D (both PC and X360). Graphics are totally something else than good, BUT, there's lots of things that makes those games worth playing. Popularity, reputation, history, controls, stories, coop... list can be continued as far as you can imagine.

In PC category, I'd give an examples that still is quite questionable. Guild Wars and World of Warcraft!! GW, the almighty WoW competitor. WoW's strength is that it's Warcraft, but playing it isn't free. Too bad I never found it as exciting as Guild Wars coz GW has a lot more interesting stories.

Seconds, GW is not too complicated with all the GUI buttons and only 8 slotted skillbar (against WoW's 100000000+ skills). Of course there's only some skills you use in certain places and you don't need to load another bar every time you need new build in WoW, but it's a lot easier to get your 8 skills for your build and save the template. Other way around, it's only few clicks and you have your another skill set ready to use.

Graphics in both these games aren't great, but there is many things that compensate with it. In WoW, sounds and world are amazing and you have miles to map there. In GW, there's great stories, it's not crowded too often, PvE and PvP are purely separated, coop playing requires skills and experience same way as WoW, but teams are limited to 8 in PvE and PvP, except few elite areas where you have 16 players and one PvP arena where you play against 2 other teams instead of one.

One of the most important things I've noted between these two games, is that Guild Wars IS NOT FULLY GRINDING after completion of the game(s) and that Guild Wars is FREE to play.