Running ASP Code

randomize

Reaction score
Does anybody know if we can run ASP or ASP.NET files, on here, as I am branching out in the ASP code language, and I was wondering if it is possible to run my files on this, server, as I eventually want to run most of my website in ASP, and was wondering if it was allowed on this server?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Randomize

lambada

Reaction score
I don't think x10 does ASP hosting, atleast , I have seen no mention saying they do.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Nope. No ASP. Although... I don't know why you would want to. ASP is chock full of Microsoft proprietary features. x10 uses Linux and Apache. Adding ASP support would be like trying to "improve" the Mona Lisa by using a crayon.

If you want free ASP hosting, check out www.brinkster.com

Last edited:

randomize

Reaction score
Do you know of any web hosts that do it for free, without the ads, as then technically I could run my site in php on the x10 servers, and then anything I need running in asp, (if I wanted it to) i could then php include into the page.

I want to go into ASP.NET, and I know its from Microsoft, I just thought that it might be a good language to look about into, and test some projects out on the server.

It is a shame though, I reckon they should look into runnning a server that has ASP on it, though it wouldn't be as stable, and it would of course cost them more money.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
randomize said:
Do you know of any web hosts that do it for free, without the ads, as then technically I could run my site in php on the x10 servers, and then anything I need running in asp, (if I wanted it to) i could then php include into the page.

I want to go into ASP.NET, and I know its from Microsoft, I just thought that it might be a good language to look about into, and test some projects out on the server.

It is a shame though, I reckon they should look into runnning a server that has ASP on it, though it wouldn't be as stable, and it would of course cost them more money.
I don't know why you would think ASP would be good to learn. Why not PHP? It's cross platform. And most servers run Linux so, like right now, you'd be struggling for a place to host stuff if you used asp. Windows Server 2003 is really expensive isn't it?

randomize

Reaction score
Well, I want to eventually have a broad knowledge of code, and that has to include ASP, and yes eventually I will go onto to learning PHP, and i know small amounts of PHP, but when I say small amounts I mean really SMALL!!

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and continue learning PHP first. It's a more useful language. As you can see, it's hard to find good ASP hosts, when PHP is overly abundant.

Also, PHP is free. ASP is not. Running an ASP server requires an investment in a Windows 2000/2003 server and Microsoft SQL or Microsoft Access... That's why you can't find good ASP hosts for free.

randomize

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice people!

Does anyone know where I can find a decent place to learn PHP without me having to buy books on the stuff, however, I have fount that the Learn <whatever it is your learning> in 24 hours are good. I have a fair few of those on different subjects!

postagb

Reaction score
Nope. No ASP. Although... I don't know why you would want to. ASP is chock full of Microsoft proprietary features. x10 uses Linux and Apache. Adding ASP support would be like trying to "improve" the Mona Lisa by using a crayon.

If you want free ASP hosting, check out www.brinkster.com

I currently use asp net on x10hosting without problem. Trying with different browsers
i see only differences in parsing css2 .

I upload my pages directly from my Visual Studio 2008 asp project.

By the way, i find Visual Studio fantastic, concentrating all web tecniques in the same one
R.A.D. gui: i can use vb scripts, javascripts, webcontrols, css, dhtml, xml, and much more,all merged in the same project, with the best intellisense i ever seen.

Last edited:

zegnhabi

Reaction score
En este hosting no creo que puedas, ejecutar scripts de asp clasico, se puede ejecutar scripts de asp.net pero por el momento anda fallando. Saludos

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently our free hosting does not support neither ASP (probably never will as that would require a windows server) nor asp.NET (our current setup does not cope well with it, might return sometime in the future, but no promises).

asp.NET is available on our premium hosting, which comes at a cost from $3.95 a month (if you buy and pay for 3 years up front, at a total of $142.20). Premium can be purchased at: http://x10premium.com

It is also available on the Illuminated plan which is a mix between free and paid (you need to have a free to upgrade to that, can only be bought in a 5 years package at the cost of $60). Illuminated can be purchased at: http://x10hosting.com/forums/payments.php