Running Java on x10

ParallelLogic

Reaction score
The basics of what I want to do is take information sent from a Flash app not hosted on x10, process it and generate a few GET/POST calls, using Java, that are then sent to another site.

I currently have a method to go from the Flash app, XML and PHP to get to x10 (which I presume could then be filtered into Java). I also have a Java program that can generate the GET/POST calls necessary (I can run this program on my home computer). Ideally, I'd like my Java program to run on x10 in some form because I'd like it to ping a website (via the GET/POST calls) every 5 or 10 minutes or so to show that the program is running. Also, on occasion a user will interact with the Flash app, providing the second form of communication. So I need this system to accomplish two things: ping a server and communicate with a user (from a Flash app through Java and to a GET/POST call). The latter is more important than the former, so I could have the program 'wake up' each time a user interacts with the Flash app and simply drop the pinging of the server, but I'd prefer to show the user the program is online as well.

In my ideal situation, I could host my Java program on the x10 servers. I haven't looked into this deeply yet as I don't have experience with server-side operations and I was hoping some other users could provide some insight into what is and isn't technically possible.

This isn't an applet, although I may be able to convert it into one, I do fear however that that would limit or prevent me from sending GET/POST calls.

I am open to working in other languages, I'm just more familiar with Java and have a working program there - if there's a way to send POST/GETs, etc with PHP or another more appropriate language, please feel free to direct me to that

Fun stuff, thanks for reading

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
There is no way to get Java to run on x10hosting unless you are talking about a VPS. Java is not set up on the servers.

Also, any continuous running script is against the TOS.

Lastly, your description is so vague that I have no idea what you are proposing.

ParallelLogic

Reaction score
~Also, any continuous running script is against the TOS.
I suspected as much, ah well. x10 has pretty good uptime (at least from what I've observed), so I'm hoping it won't be a problem to be on-the-spot rather than continuously running

~your description is so vague that I have no idea what you are proposing.
Well, I use WireShark to view the packets my computer is sending when I view a webpage and I've reverse engineered the method to generate those packets using GET and POST calls in Java (I'm using Sockets, BufferedReaders, etc to send the packets). I'd like to know if there's a similar method to send GET or POST calls with other languages. I'm not terribly familiar with languages outside of Java, so I'm not really sure what the best option would be. It sounds like Java wouldn't be a viable option, so I'll need to do something in another language, but I'm not sure where the best language to go to would be.

I'm looking to provide an automated service for a website (the topic of spamming comes up a lot, I wouldn't waste my time on something that would get banned in 20 seconds after months of work, I'm looking to provide an honest service), so I'm logging in and asking the account to perform actions through the GET and POST calls. Ideally, I'd like to have users use a Flash app hosted on this website, which would send commands to PHP/XML hosted on x10 and the 'bot' would then, using some language, generate the appropriate packets and send them to another site. I feel like I have nearly everything scoped out, i just don't know how to generate the GET/POST packets from the server.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I use WireShark to view the packets my computer is sending when I view a webpage and I've reverse engineered the method to generate those packets using GET and POST calls in Java [...]
You mean you reverse engineered HTTP?

Most languages have library support for HTTP. However, the free X10 hosts block most ports, including outgoing connections to port 80, so it's unlikely you'll be able to connect to the other server.

Last edited:

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this straight..

A flash application embedded in somebody elses web site passes information to your web site...

what data exactly are you extracting exactly?