Samba - windows printer driver installation

slacker_

Reaction score
I'm about to set up a linux (SuSE Enterprise 11) box to work as a print and file server using Samba (user level security, nothing special). Not so much of a problem for the file server part, which is pretty straightforward, but i can't set up automatic installation of windows printer drivers (x64) using Samba. I've managed to install x86 printer drivers to Samba's [print$] share following the tutorial at http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#id2627720.

Which worked very well for the x86 printer driver, but fails for x64 (Error ...., segfault). Is there an easy way to install the x64 windows drivers or do i have to go trough this ? (i really don't want to... )

:confused:

Last edited:

kestrel1

Reaction score
I assume you are using the x64 bit version of Suse. If not that could be your issue. Only a thought.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not just use CUPS? I'm not seeing why you need windows drivers, especially two different versions of them... Then again, I don't do desktop Linux that much..

slacker_

Reaction score
Why not just use CUPS? I'm not seeing why you need windows drivers, especially two different versions of them... Then again, I don't do desktop Linux that much..

Indeed i'm using 64 bit SuSE version, but this doesn't matter because the drivers are only stored on the linux box to be automagically installed if some windows client wants to print and doesn't have the driver installed already. Local printing at the linux box using the CUPS driver is working fine, also.

I would love to use the windows postscript drivers from cups.org, but they are for the x86 architecture only and i've already installed the native windows drivers for this architecture. The tutorial for manual (rpc) driver addition at samba.org looks a bit too painful for me.

The best way would probably be an logon script to install the 64 bit drivers on the remaining x64 win7 clients - i will google for this...

thanks, anyways..

:)