Screen resolution help

computerkids

Reaction score
With different screen resolutions my website is to large and has a scroll bar on lower resolutions I know their is a fix for this. Can anyone tell me exactly what it is? Remember I am a little slow and need detailed instructions

gillwill

Reaction score
There may be elements (tables, images, div layers etc...) within your page that have fixed widths that are larger than some user's screen resolutions or browser-window widths; or collections of such items that combined have larger widths.

Giving elements like <table> and <div> a "100%" width or removing the "width" attribute altogether should make them stretch to whatever the browser-window's width is.

-or-

Make them a smaller fixed width like "800" or "760" which should accommodate the smaller resolutions...

Last edited:

kbjradmin

Reaction score
gillwill has got it. you really have 3 options:

1. make your pages sized absolutely and just make them smaller.
  2. make everything sized relatively (using % and em).
  3. or make multiple pages and change which page is viewed based on the user's resolution (generally not a good idea as it would require scripting, which some users have turned off, and because it's just complicated)

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Handy tip is to check your website with 'BrowserShots.org'.
Not only can they show you what your web pages look like like at different resolutions but how they appear to surfers using different browsers.

The results can be surprising and you may need to delve into the world of CSS and javascript to make your pages semi intelligent and re-size them on the fly.