server feedback

theascended

Reaction score
I am a firm believer that bad services can never get better if you don't say or do something about it. So I'm going to do both.

Over the last 18 months, my site (between cossaks and stoli) has been down 9% by ping and likely much more than that given all of the apache and mysql problems that seem to plague x10. My account was erroneously deleted once and I had to nearly beg the admins to keep my site when an injection attack allowed someone to add a spam script to my root. As a former sysadmin for a 20000 workstation + 5000 server network, I have a healthy appreciation for the effort that must go into managing such a large host as x10 and their efforts are no doubt heroic given their staffing limitations, however, the availability and management of the accounts here (despite them being free) is deplorable and is the reason I never moved my private or any of my public sites to x10 paid services.

I thank you for the opportunity to run my site here for the last 18+ months, but even for a private blog I can't deal with the kind of issues I experience here.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I am glad that you expressed your frustration in a clear fashion, contrary to many. I understand that you've had problems, like everyone else, including me. However, this was done to improve service. We cannot make an omelette without breaking a few eggs! As for paid/vps, go ask for some feedback from users that are customers of x10, meaning that they pay for their hosting. You will be surprised by your findings!

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
***Moved to feedbacks and suggestions***

sparty20

Reaction score
This is Rediculous

I created my site about 4 months ago and never had a problem up until recently. My website concerns the NCAA basketball champoinship, so this month is a very high-traffic time. However, last week my site would not load and brought up the error "FAILURE TO CONNECT TO WEB SERVER." Not only that but i cannot access my cpanel account from any location. I was going to look the other way, however it has been a week and my website is down at the peak of the year. I have seen nothing on any forum or server status page to make me believe that anything is being done. I am extremelely dissapointed in X10Hosting for not providing a fix in at least a week. My website is all but gone now because my files are inaccessable. I hope that nobody else has had to suffer for your incompetance. I suggest you have something that works before you update the look of your own website every two weeks.

Last edited:

lynnwood

Reaction score

Looking at the content on the quoted link above just makes me feel that it will be another week before I will start seeing uptime of at least 80%.

This is my first experience with using free hosting (other than what is provided by various ISPs) so I have no basis for comparison of services. I guess we get what we pay for, but I wonder why this service would be so inadequately managed if it were being used to entice potential customers to their fee-based services.

Can anyone suggest an alternative free hosting service? I like the fact that x10 has an ad-free option. I have zero need for something like cPanel, although I would like to manage a db or two. Essentially all I need is ftp access to my htdocs directory and to have a server (and it's services) up most of the time.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
but I wonder why this service would be so inadequately managed if it were being used to entice potential customers to their fee-based services.
The upgrade and migration process is causing some intermittent and temporary service disruptions which are both inconvenient and frustrating for many users. Including myself. However, I saw how x10 operated before this upgrade process and, based on that experience, I am completely confident that x10 will be an even better hosting service when all of this is completed, which will probably be just a few more day. I believe x10 is expertly managed which is the very reason the owner is making these expensive upgrades in order to provide a better product and service. And BTW, I am just an ordinary user like you - not staff or management.

Can anyone suggest an alternative free hosting service?
There are many out there. Just Google. Many will have forced ads. Most will not offer the quality and service that x10 offers. IMHO.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
carl6969 said:
You happened to sign up for x10 services during the time when hardware and service upgrades are being made. .

lynnwood

Join Date May 2009

marvso

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest an alternative free hosting service?
For the past month or two x10hosting has been moving and repairing servers: causing a lot of downtime. While this is frustrating on both the user and admin side, I am possitive that within the next month x10hosting will be back to it's amazing self. This is by far the best free hosting site I've ever seen, and I'd be surprised if you could find one with better staff, uptime, support, and features. I intend to "stick it out" until the servers are fixed: I recommend you do the same. :)

fomalhaut

Reaction score
For those who are not satisfied :

carl6969 said:
I believe x10 is expertly managed which is the very reason the owner is making these expensive upgrades in order to provide a better product and service. And BTW, I am just an ordinary user like you - not staff or management.
I confirm that. I'm an ordinary user, too.
And I pretend it will be very difficult to find a free hosting as good with the same conditions, staff, uptime, support, and features !

And I say "thank you again for your work" to the x10hosting team.

xavier2000

Reaction score
For the past month or two x10hosting has been moving and repairing servers: causing a lot of downtime. While this is frustrating on both the user and admin side, I am possitive that within the next month x10hosting will be back to it's amazing self. This is by far the best free hosting site I've ever seen, and I'd be surprised if you could find one with better staff, uptime, support, and features. I intend to "stick it out" until the servers are fixed: I recommend you do the same. :)

i agree. just hold on for a few more days it will imporove.