Server Very Slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchev

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering why the server is going so slow.. It takes 30+ secs to load each page. Every other site loads in 1 second so its not my ISP....

A few people have complained about it being slow, and did not regsiter

Script - SMF
Site - posts4u.info

Elesarr

Reaction score
In most cases a slow loading page indicates a high server usage, keep in mind you are not the only person on your server ;)

It is quite possible some other site(s) have high usage at the moment which will slow down everyone's site.

If having a quick loading site all the time is a priority you might want to consider paid hosting solution.

Cheers!

Edit:

just checked your site and it loaded in under 2 secs for me ;)

Last edited:

jamessmith

Reaction score
It really does matter where you are in the world, and how much activity exists on both the web link and server.

If x10hosting servers are not in your country, they'll take much longer; that's why the free part of x10hosting is not suited to communities; however, I'm managing, despite the slowness.

If x10hosting were to add traffic modulation, it could slow down the server dramatically, at the CPU.

You could try another host, I recommend byethost, if you don't like this one; however byethost has terrible MySQL storage, whereas you can have as much MySQL data as the web space you were given, apparently; I don't know if that's true or not, may be it's just unmeasured?

I'm a bit annoyed, too.

I believe it is more people abusing the service with large files, and large communities, to be honest. I think that issue needs to be resolved, ASAP.

Regards,
James

Elesarr

Reaction score
It really does matter where you are in the world, and how much activity exists on both the web link and server.

If x10hosting servers are not in your country, they'll take much longer; that's why the free part of x10hosting is not suited to communities; however, I'm managing, despite the slowness.

If x10hosting were to add traffic modulation, it could slow down the server dramatically, at the CPU.

You could try another host, I recommend byethost, if you don't like this one; however byethost has terrible MySQL storage, whereas you can have as much MySQL data as the web space you were given, apparently; I don't know if that's true or not, may be it's just unmeasured?

I'm a bit annoyed, too.

I believe it is more people abusing the service with large files, and large communities, to be honest. I think that issue needs to be resolved, ASAP.

Regards,
James

actually I will disagree with you... sorry ;)

I used to use a free service that was overseas and I was in the states - had no loading issues at all and my members never knew it wasn't hosted in the states ;)

You are right about abuse and x10 has put some new things into play that will help get rid of that.

Since the free services are sharing resources you will see slow periods.

I can assure you though that you cannot beat x10 Hosting; in regards to bytehost, they have way more problems than just their database servers I used them for a very short time ;)

People need to keep in mind that free hosting is what it is: free; you cannot expect the same uptime and service you would get from a paid hosting package, and the services that x10 offers for free hosting which only requires you to log into the forums once every 2 weeks cannot be beat by anyone else I assure you.

Cheers!

Edit:

If uptime and such is a real priority then paid hosting is truly the only way to guarantee that ;)

Last edited:

jamessmith

Reaction score
actually I will disagree with you... sorry ;)

I used to use a free service that was overseas and I was in the states - had no loading issues at all and my members never knew it wasn't hosted in the states ;)

You are right about abuse and x10 has put some new things into play that will help get rid of that.

Since the free services are sharing resources you will see slow periods.

I can assure you though that you cannot beat x10 Hosting; in regards to bytehost, they have way more problems than just their database servers I used them for a very short time ;)

People need to keep in mind that free hosting is what it is: free; you cannot expect the same uptime and service you would get from a paid hosting package, and the services that x10 offers for free hosting which only requires you to log into the forums once every 2 weeks cannot be beat by anyone else I assure you.

Cheers!

Edit:

If uptime and such is a real priority then paid hosting is truly the only way to guarantee that ;)

It depends on how fast the uplink and downlinks are, as opposed to where you are. If you were on Mars, even, for long as the link is fast enough, the waiting time really depends on the speed. However, on copper wire proxies, as opposed to fibre optics; the connection is faster over a shorter distance, as opposed to a further one. If you understand me ;).

x10 does have a good service, but the servers are near enough as slow as FreeHostia, despite the increase of resources between the two.

If you want a real good service, for free, it's best to befriend a web host owner, with a good cause for them :D.

Regards,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.