Votes: 15 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well. To come in to college here in Sweden, you need to make Physcis B, and is there anything I hate it is Physics. And I assume it will be even more Physics.

I have no interest in physics, therefore I think I will be really bored in college.

I am only interested in programming and 3D modelling, have no interest of any other things. Wouldn't it be easier if I take separate classes in just programming and modelling instead of college?

What do you think?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
College gives you much broader options and makes you look better to potential employers, so I 'd advise it.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Yes go to college. I hate physics as well but I love genetics and organic chemistry, so you can't have everything

tittat

Reaction score
Go to college,dont miss your campus life....
if you are interested in programming and 3D modelling do it as a part time.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Go to colllege. Science isn't all that bad ;)

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
It's still worth it - a few years of boring crap followed by an easier lifestyle when you're older? I really would go to college; it will be worth it.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I really think it would be best to go to college; it's worth it in the long run. :)

timur

Reaction score
If you want to do computer science at a university level, usually what they advise is to take Mathematics with a lab science, preferably Physics. This is mainly because of the early on application of mathematics at a high level which will better prepair your self for a computer science degree. Other core lab sciences at highschool level are biology and chemisty, and are not as intrinsicly mathematical and so are not recommended as the sole science subject when persuing a comp-sci degree.

With all that said, if you can't do mathematics and physics at the highschool level, then that is a good indicator that you would struggle with a computer science at a University level.

So i would say, as some one else has mentioned earlyer is to go to college, but do a degree in something that you enjoy and take up programming-3d cad in your spare time.

In the case that you really dont want to/can't do anything at all at college, then yes you can do IT training in a programming language. I dont know about swedish certification but in the uk we have such programs that certify you as a c#/.net dev or microsoft solution dev and so on. As for 3d cad goes, all companys really ask is a good portfolio, if you can produce cinematic quality renders then they won't care as much about your education background.

Sorry for the long ass reply,
Timur

xPlozion

Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong, or if someone already posted this, but doesn't physics sorta go hand in hand with programming? atleast on a higher level, such as game engines and such?

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong, or if someone already posted this, but doesn't physics sorta go hand in hand with programming? atleast on a higher level, such as game engines and such?

Well, I belive basic physics yes. But if you have something falling in your game, why would you need to be so realstic it should fall with the exact speed of gravity at that place of earth? And I don't belive Newton and gaming is related

mattura

Reaction score
Well I'm afraid you are wrong there, a large part of computer game programming is the physics. And I can tell you, it's not easy, especially in 3D. I'm talking a lot more than basic physics.
The two subject that set you up for computer science or similar degrees/courses are Maths and Physics.
If you hate physics, but love the graphical side of modelling (which is I assume what you mean), then become a graphic artist by all means. You don't need a computer related degree, but you do need artistic skills and strong abilities.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
But I never said I want to do program games because I have nearly no interest in it at all. I want to do photoshop (no physics here), php programming (no physics here either), web design(for sure no physics here) and 3D(physics only on animation) as an hobby.

mattura

Reaction score
Well I was replying to your physics in a game example. The rest of my post didn't assume anything.
It really sounds to me as if you would do better with the arty side - you don't like science or maths, so don't take a degree course that involves them! Do something you enjoy and keep programming as a hobby until you finish. Then maybe you can do some of the things you listed as a job.

timur

Reaction score
In that case, you dont need to go to college at all, if website design is all you want to do. Only go to college if u want to pursue education to a high level and thus improve your chances of getting a well paid job.

Last edited:

mattura

Reaction score
having been to uni, I would recommend it for almost anyone. It is a great life experience and good to have a transition between school and work. It's also great fun! I only wouldn't recommend it if you are totally unenthusiastic about any subject, meeting people, making new friends, activities/trips etc; or have really solid future work plans (eg taking over parent's business etc) coupled with a strong desire to succeed in this work.

fempower

Reaction score
Don't turn down a lot of other classes of your choice just to avoid one that you don't like. Go for it.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a tech collage, but there are many tech universities, and you can't go there without a collage degree. So, it is worth it and many employers, including game designers will not even spit in your direction without going to collage. It is very much worth it, makes your life easier =)

You will need to know some degree of Physcis to be a game designer...