Should regular users be able to post in "announcements" thread?

Should regular members be able to post in the "news" forum?

• Yes - Freedom of speech! Power to the people! Viva la Revolution!

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • No - What could the unwashed masses possibly contribute that would be considered "news"?

Votes: 33 89.2%

• Total voters

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I thought I'd try to move the conversation here, lest we start getting hypocritical ;)

I know this is possible. The old "free hosting support" forum used to be staff only replies. A user could start a new thread, and reply to that thread only, but not other's threads, though all threads were viewable.

I personally believe that anything other than news is off topic, and therefore, should be in the "off topic" forum :p

If the staff need input from users, they could create another forum for this purpose.

debio264

Reaction score
In News and Announcements threads, only staff should be able to post. In general support threads, users should be able to post because in many cases, users can help users, even if it's just to say "read the news, you idiot."

fguy64

Reaction score
I say no, we need at least one forum that is strictly for staff to inform customers. An issues can be discussed in a different forum, perhaps the "unofficial" Support forum.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
No. The news section is for news, and only news... It's not for people to blab about problems, when the staff are fully aware, and have posted they will fix it. If they have a problem, wait it out, or create a support ticket.
Only staff should be able to post in the news section, unless the staff who's posting that news wants other users opinions or w/e on whatever they may be posting, if not then close the post immediately.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
The reason the current system is such a pain is ;

1) It just makes it harder for those of us who are looking for the important News information posted by staff to a thread, when we first have to wade through endless comments posted in that thread by other people.

2) It should be a simple process to see when important updates to a News thread are posted by means of a member setting a Subscription to that thread. We don't want to have to keep returning to that thread when we are notified of new posts, only to find it isn't news, but instead more junk like "thanks" or "my site's down again".

3) Some people seem to be actually encouraged to write pointless comments in News threads, when elsewhere they wouldn't normally have bothered, presumably because they like to feel a part of that news process.

4) Staff don't have time to keep re-writing the same News information in a thread, for those people who can't be bothered or don't have time themselves to wade through a thread to find the information. Thus it is a self-perpetuating problem; the thread gets so long that people don't go back through it to read it & instead request the info be posted at the end for them, thus making the thread even longer.....and so on!

I see 2 or 3 possible solutions ;

1) Each thread in the News section should have the first post edited by staff to be up-to-date with the relevant news. Further posts can then be made by anyone else to discuss similar problems, ask questions of clarification, give thanks etc. But keeping the first post up-to-date would need to be done consistently. Otherwise, as in recent cases, we still end up having to wade through the entire thread to find the occasional extra news update. The downside of this method is that Subscriptions to a thread won't notify us of important edits to the News in the first post, but only to new posts made by commentators, which we don't actually want to be informed of.

2) News threads are made such that only the staff can post, & us members are locked out. That will hopefully keep them short & sweet, & easy to keep updated from via Subscriptions. Members posts will then have to go elsewhere, either in a News discussion thread, specific to each news item, or in more general purpose places like Support, Off-Topic etc. People can then get the specific support they need, & others can choose not to have to keep reading all their requests for the info that they can't be bothered to find for themselves in the News threads.

Item (2) above highlights a problem with the current system ;

If we want mainly just 1 discussion thread to spin off from each News thread, rather than dozens all repeating similar points & questions, then the discussion thread needs to be linked in some way to it's counter-part in the News section. An obvious way would be to give it the same title as the thread in the News section has. But the News threads titles seem quite random. In fact it must be getting quite hard for staff to keep coming up with new names. "Update", Updates", "New Site Update", "Latest Updates" have all been used! Are these very helpful?!?

When a member looks through the News section for news, he usually wants to find either the latest news first, or some news specific to his current problem. The current thread titles don't provide any clues for either need. A News thread may appear to be recent, but when opened & read turns out to be an old thread, with a new post added recently by someone just saying something pointless like "thanks". And the useful News posts get lost in the sea of other News threads.

I propose that the News section gets revolutionised!

Perhaps it can be in either 1 continuous thread, with new posts added at 1 end only (top or bottom) by staff, with each post labelled by date, time & title. Then the news will be in chronological order, in an easy to read format. And only news by staff - no comments by members! Alternatively, each new News topic could be started in its own new thread, but then that thread would have to be clearly identified with date first, then title specific to the news it contains. That will make it easier to identify, & easier to refer & link to when members start their related discussion thread.

Anyway, that's my two-penneth (two cents') worth. Some food for thought there.

What do you think?

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I chose no. Sure, I enjoy reading posts and having to hunt for staff posts, but it does get tedious and can be a pain for people to find updates with. If anything, leaving news threads unpostable in by members, but allowing a separate place for discussion such as in off-topic of free community support on the forum would work.

pagao

Reaction score
In News and Announcements threads, only staff should be able to post. In general support threads, users should be able to post because in many cases, users can help users, even if it's just to say "read the news, you idiot."

I couldn't agree more.

chiencon

Reaction score
How about we follow the system that Corey just set up for the latest updates regarding server changes? One thread for staff only in Announcements, then a related thread in another forum for user thoughts/discussions about that particular thread.

zen-r

Reaction score
Excellent. What a great place X10 is! It is a place where the views of members are listened to, & usually acted upon by Corey & staff.

Clearly this thread has been duly noted, because here is Corey's latest post ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/98362-latest-updates.html - note that it is locked, & links to another thread where we can post comments.

My only hesitation now would be whether things could be improved just a little bit further, by dating & naming the News threads, as I described in my earlier post here.

Other than that, Great stuff! Thanks Corey!
majesty2.gif

Edit : (Just seen your post, chiencon) Yes, the new thread style has come into use after (& presumably because) we started this discussion

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I have to hand it to Corey, he is a man of the people he leads :)

mtailz

Reaction score
I say no.

News threads should not get cluttered by members supplying useless information. It makes it harder for everyone else to see what's going on!

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
What we need is eventually 2 News & Announcements categories. One were only staff can post, and another one where everybody can post, and were the "official" posts/threads would get replicated.

xPlozion

Reaction score
by only allowing staff to post in the news thread, it'll help people get useful information instead of "wtf? my sites been down for 5 minutes!!!"

make a new forum and allow the users to discuss amongst everyone there any time a new thread is made (similar to the most recent one, just not in off topic)

supermix

Reaction score
I said no. News and Announcements should be staff only. Otherwise when some people who cannot be online often checks out the news and Announcements it would be difficult to piece out the actual news from the people who are filled with gratitude, complaints and/or mixe emos.

This is my personal opinion, It is the same as when you buy your newspaper some people would read the opinions column but for me I only read the news. So I suggest that for responses to certain news and announcement a separate forum be created and a link to the specific thread on that other forum be provided to facilitate ease of use.

:)

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
OMG zenr, take a breath!

Only staff should be able to post in that thread because it is easier to maintain. The sub-forum that everyone comes to see should not have to be moderated. That would greatly reduce its functionality.