(sigh..) Suspension question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Reaction score
My account was suspended for high resource usage. From looking at the forums, I can tell I'm not the only one affected - and boy, are you guys busy!

I've gleaned from some of the other posts that most of these suspensions have occurred because a script has exceeded 25% usage of a single cpu. I'm concerned because I'm using very little disk space, almost no bandwidth, and have not uploaded any custom scripts at all. The site I have hosted with you is, in its entirety, nothing more than a Zen-Cart installation - which was installed through cpanel using the Fantastico auto-installer.

Roughly once a week, I make backups of the files, and the database. I read a post where somebody doing the very same thing, used enough system resources in the process that they managed to get their account suspended. I could only imagine that they have many more files to back up than I do.

I appreciate all that you guys have done, and would like to do everything I can to make sure this doesn't end up being a recurring problem. Even if you were able to tell me specifically which file was causing the problem, I'm not sure what I'd be able to do to remedy the situation.

Any insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Mikester

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I am not able to pinpoint your problem but if it is vital that your store stays up, I strongly recommend you upgrade to x10premium.

If there is a cron that runs every now and then, it could be caching images or something that takes a lot of server resources.

mikester

Reaction score
At this point, the site has almost nonexistent traffic. CPanel reports I have used 0 of the allotted 10240MB for the month of August. In fact, it's highest peak ever was back in April - and even that was only 80MB...a very far cry from what is allotted. Most of that was probably me uploading content and stylesheets - hardly cpu intensive actions. When traffic increases, then yes, of course I would upgrade...but right now, at 1 or 2 visits a week, the meager needs of my site can hardly be construed as 'excessive' or warranting of an upgrade.

If there is something in my site that is causing excessive cpu usage - I'd like to find it and remove it. But knowing how inactive my site is, I'm really thinking that isn't the problem. If my site has no traffic - then it's scripts are idle, and nothing is using any system resources. Is there any possible chance, especially given the number of sites affected, that there may be a bug in the program that you use to monitor resource usage? Or maybe that your OS doesn't assign tasks to the cpu in the manner you think it does? For example...an idle system may allocate up to 100% of its available cpu cycles to a task - not because it needs to, but because it can...thus, completing the job as fast and as efficiently as it possibly could - and that wouldn't be indicating something 'wrong' per se - exactly the opposite in fact.

I realize that traffic!=cpu cycles (for example, ftp can use a lot of bandwidth but no processing power, while rendering a 4096x3072 300dpi ray traced image is going to be very cpu intensive - yet use no bandwidth), but on a web server, there is at least some correlation between the two. The only possible explanation would be a bad script. I will try to upgrade my zen-cart install to see if that helps matters - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Below is a snapshot of some of the proceses that caused a resource suspension on your system August 12. These processes were logged executing over the limits for about 120 seconds.

Code:
 Thu 12 Aug 2010 16:01:21 / 1281643281:
      cpu: 28.300
      mem: 0.200
      ctm: 00:00:00
      commands: (2 total)
         pid 10023   $ /usr/bin/php DOCUMENT_ROOT=/usr/local/apache/htdocs GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI/1.1 HTTP_ACCEPT=text/html HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING=gzip,deflate HTTP_CONNECTION=close HTTP_FROM=webadmin@yandex.ru HTTP_HOST=www.galaxyminis.com HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; YandexBot/3.0; MirrorDetector; +http://yandex.com/bots) HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR=95.108.151.244 HTTP_X_REAL_IP=95.108.151.244 PATH=/bin:/usr/bin QUERY_STRING=main_page=index&cPath=78 REDIRECT_STATUS=200 REMOTE_ADDR=69.175.120.122 REMOTE_PORT=46166 REQUEST_METHOD=GET REQUEST_URI=/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78 SCRIPT_FILENAME=/home/mikester/public_html/index.php SCRIPT_NAME=/index.php SCRIPT_URI=http://www.galaxyminis.com/index.php SCRIPT_URL=/index.php SERVER_ADDR=69.175.6.120 SERVER_ADMIN=no-reply@x10hosting.com SERVER_NAME=www.galaxyminis.com SERVER_PORT=80 SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/1.0 SERVER_SIGNATURE= SERVER_SOFTWARE=Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_mono/2.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
         pid 11315   $ /usr/bin/php DOCUMENT_ROOT=/usr/local/apache/htdocs GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI/1.1 HTTP_ACCEPT=text/html HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING=gzip,deflate HTTP_CONNECTION=close HTTP_FROM=webadmin@yandex.ru HTTP_HOST=www.galaxyminis.com HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; YandexBot/3.0; MirrorDetector; +http://yandex.com/bots) HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR=95.108.151.244 HTTP_X_REAL_IP=95.108.151.244 PATH=/bin:/usr/bin QUERY_STRING=main_page=index&cPath=67 REDIRECT_STATUS=200 REMOTE_ADDR=69.175.120.122 REMOTE_PORT=46182 REQUEST_METHOD=GET REQUEST_URI=/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67 SCRIPT_FILENAME=/home/mikester/public_html/index.php SCRIPT_NAME=/index.php SCRIPT_URI=http://www.galaxyminis.com/index.php SCRIPT_URL=/index.php SERVER_ADDR=69.175.6.120 SERVER_ADMIN=no-reply@x10hosting.com SERVER_NAME=www.galaxyminis.com SERVER_PORT=80 SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/1.0 SERVER_SIGNATURE= SERVER_SOFTWARE=Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_mono/2.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

Thu 12 Aug 2010 16:01:22 / 1281643282:
      cpu: 26.500
      mem: 0.200
      ctm: 00:00:00
      commands: (2 total)
         pid 10023   $ /usr/bin/php DOCUMENT_ROOT=/usr/local/apache/htdocs GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI/1.1 HTTP_ACCEPT=text/html HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING=gzip,deflate HTTP_CONNECTION=close HTTP_FROM=webadmin@yandex.ru HTTP_HOST=www.galaxyminis.com HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; YandexBot/3.0; MirrorDetector; +http://yandex.com/bots) HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR=95.108.151.244 HTTP_X_REAL_IP=95.108.151.244 PATH=/bin:/usr/bin QUERY_STRING=main_page=index&cPath=78 REDIRECT_STATUS=200 REMOTE_ADDR=69.175.120.122 REMOTE_PORT=46166 REQUEST_METHOD=GET REQUEST_URI=/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78 SCRIPT_FILENAME=/home/mikester/public_html/index.php SCRIPT_NAME=/index.php SCRIPT_URI=http://www.galaxyminis.com/index.php SCRIPT_URL=/index.php SERVER_ADDR=69.175.6.120 SERVER_ADMIN=no-reply@x10hosting.com SERVER_NAME=www.galaxyminis.com SERVER_PORT=80 SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/1.0 SERVER_SIGNATURE= SERVER_SOFTWARE=Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_mono/2.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
         pid 11315   $ /usr/bin/php DOCUMENT_ROOT=/usr/local/apache/htdocs GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI/1.1 HTTP_ACCEPT=text/html HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING=gzip,deflate HTTP_CONNECTION=close HTTP_FROM=webadmin@yandex.ru HTTP_HOST=www.galaxyminis.com HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; YandexBot/3.0; MirrorDetector; +http://yandex.com/bots) HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR=95.108.151.244 HTTP_X_REAL_IP=95.108.151.244 PATH=/bin:/usr/bin QUERY_STRING=main_page=index&cPath=67 REDIRECT_STATUS=200 REMOTE_ADDR=69.175.120.122 REMOTE_PORT=46182 REQUEST_METHOD=GET REQUEST_URI=/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67 SCRIPT_FILENAME=/home/mikester/public_html/index.php SCRIPT_NAME=/index.php SCRIPT_URI=http://www.galaxyminis.com/index.php SCRIPT_URL=/index.php SERVER_ADDR=69.175.6.120 SERVER_ADMIN=no-reply@x10hosting.com SERVER_NAME=www.galaxyminis.com SERVER_PORT=80 SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/1.0 SERVER_SIGNATURE= SERVER_SOFTWARE=Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_mono/2.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

Last edited:

mikester

Reaction score
Bryon,
Thank you for your response. These are requests from a spam bot.

HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; YandexBot/3.0; MirrorDetector; +http://yandex.com/bots) // The User_agent is typically the web browser used - in this case - it appears to be a bot.

HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR=95.108.151.244 HTTP_X_REAL_IP=95.108.151.244 // Request went through a proxy. This IP traces back to "sticker01.yandex.ru"

mikester

Reaction score
Hopefully this will help. I have added the following lines to my .htaccess file:

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from ru
Deny from yandex.com

I would imagine that a great number of the account suspensions you are currently dealing with are due to this Russian search bot spider. From what I've learned, It ignores rules set in a robots.txt file and repeatedly sends random (and possibly malformed) requests in an effort to dig up and index as much content as possible. Giving it the benefit of the doubt - I will assume it's drain on system resources is not intentional - it's still not something I'd want hitting this server on a regular basis. You may want to Deny access to it on a system-wide level as well.

Last edited:

mikester

Reaction score
Just curious, It's been over a week - have those .htaccess entries improved the situation at all?

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

I would assume so, from what i can see here you haven't been suspended again. :)

I'm going to close this thread now since your issue seems to have been resolved with those new entries, let us know if you have any other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.