Site down, but not indicated on the 'Status Page'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pph

Reaction score
I can access my account, launch cPanel, and even cPanel's file manger. But the public_html folder is empty, and I'm not even able to setup a host redirection to a page on another site, just to let my visitors know the site is down.

Completely unacceptable.

Anyone have any workarounds, to at least get the info to your visitors that the site is down?

aquariu8

Reaction score
All members of x10 should have been notified wayyyy ahead of this catastrophe, many including myself have lost everything they worked weeks or even months building. I wonder how much X10 really cares.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
free-hosting servers upgrade and account migration to them - was announced on the 18th and started on the 21st

pph

Reaction score
All members of x10 should have been notified wayyyy ahead of this catastrophe, many including myself have lost everything they worked weeks or even months building. I wonder how much X10 really cares.

aquatiu8 - First off, you files "most likely" aren't gone. This has happened several times in the last few months.

Typically it goes like this...
1. Your site doesn't load (you get 404 errors or "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to xxxxxxx10.mx")
2. You can't login to x10 (you get "An error has occurred processing your request." while logging in)
3. If you are able to login to x10, you launch cPanel and find the public_html folder empty, and the permissions set such that you can't create any files in it.
4. Eventually x10 gets things straightened out and everything is back to the way it was (including expectations of a future problematic "upgrades")

pph

Reaction score
free-hosting servers upgrade and account migration to them - was announced on the 18th and started on the 21st

bdistler - announcing a pending update is not the same as acknowledging that problems were encountered.

And as far as the status page, the last status update was posted on 4/25. I only started having problems on the 27th. Is a customer just supposed to assume any problems they experience might be from a previous update, and do nothing but wait?

Since each account has an email attached to it, would it be out of the question to expect them to email the owners of affected accounts/sites, that there is a problem?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
If the status updated doesn't say all maintenance is completed, then yes, you should assume that there may still be issues that stems from the last update.
Vox and Level started their actual migrations about 15 hours ago, prior to that accounts on those servers would have worked just fine, although preparations for the migrations were started on those two servers when the status update was posted.

pph

Reaction score
Anna - The following is from the Status page.

SATURDAY, MARCH 8
PHP 5.5 Upgrade Scheduled for Wednesday March 12 on all Free Hosting Servers1 month ago
We will be upgrading PHP on all the Free Hosting servers, including Illuminated, this Wednesday. The upgrade is scheduled to begin at 2:00am UTC, and will likely take several hours. Brief, minimal service interruptions are expected throughout this time frame.

After the upgrade, all Free Servers (absolut, level, vox, and illuminated) will be set to run on PHP 5.5 as the default PHP version. PHP 5.3 and PHP 5.4 will still be available for users who cannot upgrade to PHP 5.5 at this time; instructions on how to switch your PHP version are available here. For Illuminated, PHP 5.2 will be available in addition to 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5. Please note that we do not officially support older PHP versions, and we do not guarantee this service from failure. You should always upgrade your scripts so that they run on the most recent version of PHP.

For more information on what sorts of changes you can expect from PHP 5.5, see the PHP 5.5 Migration Guide on php.net.
------------------------------------------------------------
I see nothing stating the update is complete. Should I assume that it is still ongoing?

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
After the upgrade, all Free Servers (absolut, level, vox, and illuminated) will be set to run on PHP 5.5 as the default PHP version. PHP 5.3 and PHP 5.4 will still be available for users who cannot upgrade to PHP 5.5 at this time; instructions on how to switch your PHP version are available here...
bold by me

No you should assume the 'upgrade' as completed - when you could set the PHP version

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@pph - Which status page are you looking at? The entries concerning the server upgrades (not PHP version) are from April 21 and April 25. You have to go back to the fourth page to find the PHP version upgrade info. Yes, the PHP version upgrade is complete (and a config error was found and fixed on one of the servers in the interim). This is a different thing altogether.

aquariu8

Reaction score
All sounding very complicated to me. I will just be glad when al this is over and the Staff can go back to sleep :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.