Site Layout

nightbandit

Reaction score
Hey it's me again.

I've updated my site, I've tried to keep it simple.: http://craptastic.co.cc
I'd like to know what you think about the color scheme (is it too bright?), and the layout overall. And by the way I've decided not to support IE (might work though) since it would take me too much time, and as I said I'm not making any money from it.

Does anyone think I should some background images to make it look better, nothing fancy just a couple of gradients. If I do add some images what is the best way to do it, since I'm using percentages for my widths. I was thinking about using images one pixel wide, are there any downsides to that? Speaking about percentages, does the layout break for anyone if it does please tell me your screen resolution, and the browser and OS you used.

Is what I have so far good, or should I trash it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
The colours are not great - pity. Yellow, Brown, Orange etc - reminds me of a road side diner somehow.
That's harsh - but you could look at other colour pallettes.

The sizing is`clever, the picures works, you idead of avoiding the need to scroll is good, if you can do it. Dont make the header too large if you eant to do this. Trouble with IE is that it still has the biggest % of the market. However it is always the one that causes trouble. It doesn't seem to render css properly.

nightbandit

Reaction score
Thanks Frank, I'm going to quit on making my own color decisions (to google).

I didn't understand a lot of what you said. Does IE not render CSS properly, or is the CSS on my site broken? What do you mean, 'don't make the header too large if you want to do this.' What's this? Is this the idea of using 1px wide images for backgrounds?

I'm trying to come up with another color combination. I've started changing the colors around, but what should I use for my main content. And do you think I should change the color of the sidebar and the navbar?

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry for the martian typos.

IE does not render css as well as Fiorefox, so you have to avoid IE probs. Try using the` free W3C Css vadiation service [google for it] and also for html validation.

Another source of info is:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_colornames.asp

Do look at Zen Garden . There are links from there to many other sites.

Google for CSS, and for Colour schemes.

Keep at it!

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Completely not supporting IE is one thing but not supporting IE6 is something quite different. Think about that ;)

As for the layout ... what's up with you and those colors. Is your monitor broken and you can't see how it looks like or what :dunno:

nightbandit

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the feedback guys, I just changed the colors and I hope it looks better (http://craptastic.co.cc/). If this is a good scheme I guess I'll start making [background] images that go well with the colors.

So is there something else I should change?

nightbandit

Reaction score
Does it look better now that I change the sidebar to a yellow/orange color? (#FFB600)

Last edited: