Site overhauled

risendead

Reaction score
I've been working on a new modern design for my clan site. Trying to keep it simple but nice looking as well. I've only finished the home page since I had to create a base for what the rest of the pages will look like. All graphics except for the link icon were created in GIMP. Anyways tell me what you think. I can only view at 1024x768 so tell me if any problems occur at higher resolutions etc.

http://risendead.x10hosting.com/risendead/RisenDead/risendead.php

Thanks. :)

p.s. I'm not a pro designer try not to humiliate me completely ;)

Last edited:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
It looks nice on higher resolutions, the main content of the website is centered and the background appears surrounding the main content.

I'm not sure if you know this already, or if you did it intentionally, but none of your links work properly. Clicking the links take me to the new page, as shown by the URL, but the content on the page doesn't change at all.

The best advice I can give so far is to change the font to something more fitting. The theme of your website doesn't really look as good as it could with Times New Roman. If you already were using a different font, then maybe that font isn't widespread? I have standard Windows XP, which means most other XP machines would not be able to see your font.

risendead

Reaction score
I only finished the homepage so far so there's currently nothing to link to. So I left it <a href="" /> empty. I didn't want to make more pages till I was sure the layout would work in higher resolutions.

I haven't given it a font so it defaults to your browser's selection. What font should I select? Do the top and bottom triangles appear to fit with the bar behind them or do they seem to float unaligned?

Thanks for the review. :)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd use Verdana.

I've used firebug to take a look, and these property setting(s) look good.

Code:
#wrapper {
background-image:url(images/body_bg.png);
font-family:Verdana !important;
font-size:12px;
margin:0 auto -71px;
min-height:100%;
position:relative;
text-align:center;
width:850px;
}

Put that for your "#wrapper" and see how it looks for you.

The top triangle displays fine, but the bottom one is 6px above the line.

Last edited:

risendead

Reaction score
Changed the font to 12px and the font to Verdana. Had to change the line height a bit and some padding to make it fit right.

That font does look a lot nicer, thanks. :D

Does the bottom triangle appear correctly now?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Verdana's a good font - it's what my website is in. The triangle alignment looks good.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
It looks nice. The only thing for me is that your header seems out of place. The rest of your site is darker and it is white. It makes it kinda hard to read the text because your eyes are being constantly drawn to the header.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
`I agree, the header is too bright and you may want to brighten the text area a bit more, so it will attract the eyes and easier to read
`your footer text is hard to read and you are using a serif font, which is a no-no for the web. but at least you didn't make the main text a serif font
`could use more buttons and interactions, but you are still starting out so no biggies

`with your main text centered, to me it feels more childish, rather than a left-aligned or justified

`I love the way you did the arrows, how the one on the bottom is your current page and the one on the top is you hover. I haven't seen that before(so correct me if I am wrong) and I think is very unique

Overall, this is a nice design and very smooth and sleek. And once you get more members and finish the development of the site, i will be pretty good.

8/10

risendead

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I never really noticed the header until you brought it to my attention. It does really take away the focus. I'll work on that down the road at the moment I'm working on sub pages and menus.

The footer text is meant to be small since its like license text which no one ever reads.

What is a serif font. The whole page currently has the same style font.

My design takes from a collection of ideas. The triangle at the bottom from what I have seen so far is unique. I'm hoping that my sub-menu for the other links is somewhat unique as well. :)

After the ftp quits disconnecting, I'll update the page with what I have so far. The home page, walkthrough page, and rooms page will be clickable. Everything else is still underway.

I realize the walkthrough page is a long chunk of text I'll be making either a next page link or something similar to the rooms page with page1, page2, etc.

Last edited:

haslam1

Reaction score
clean smooth (very modified template- just it's feel)
i think it needs a login section for members of your clan(just ask if you want one i went hunting for these along time ago and have a have a few)
nice logo
could do with a bit of red some where before we think were in black and white times

risendead

Reaction score
clean smooth (very modified template- just it's feel)

Don't know if this is good or bad. I built it from the ground up in notepad++ and made the graphics in GIMP. It's pure html/css and php is only used to link to txt files for the menu that way I can easily update multiple pages in-case something changes down the road. Was hoping it seemed original rather than ripping of a template. :happysad:

Currently don't need a log-in page since I want the information widely viewable to everyone. Maybe down the road if the clan becomes a decent size I would add incentives for members that would need a log-in screen. I don't have a clue about scripting currently besides making php load a txt file and do a rand(1,number here).

I have tried the idea of color but it won't merge right unless I change the color of everything. It's suppose to have an old graveyard black and white feel. :)

Thanks for the review hopefully the end result will be better for it. :drool:

-edit-

On the topic of the header being to bright. I've updated the header and the top triangle to match. Is this easier on the eyes? :p

I've also indented and left aligned everything that way it matches across all pages.

.... any more ideas? Keep them coming. :)

Last edited:

thebeast32

Reaction score
You drew all of your graphics in GIMP? That's awesome! I could never draw something that good. :lol::lol::lol: Love your logo, too.

One thing: when I go to http://risendead.x10hosting.com/. I get a directory listing. Might want to have an index.php instead of risendead.php. Same for http://risendead.x10hosting.com/risendead.

Lol directory listing:

Index of /

Index of /risendead

ooooohhhh "thumbs.db", you are using Windows I presume? =D

Last edited:

risendead

Reaction score
Yeah windows and the lame thumbs file. It keeps sneaking in there. :p

Tried linux but unfortunately its not compatible/working with my rig after install on boot its just a black screen. Tried different fixes, but after awhile I gave up. Will try again when I get a new comp.

I use filezilla to upload the files and it won't let me go any higher than /risendead.php which I'm currently using for the old version of my site. How do you get around this? :dunno:

Last edited:

thebeast32

Reaction score
>>I use filezilla to upload the files and it won't let me go any higher than /risendead.php

Do you mean it won't let you any higher than /risendead not /risendead.php? Try using the file browser on your cpanel.