SMTP Not Working!

wooprapp

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just purchased another domain yesterday and I’m having SMTP issues. I tried adding A, CNAME and MX Records. Nothing works. I have a corresponding Email Address created under the Email Feature that way I’ll have login credentials. Every time I try to connect using my mail.CrypticInteractive.com it said it has “No such host”.

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?
Thanks. I also have Discord if it’ll be easier for you.

Thanks in advance!

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just purchased another domain yesterday and I’m having SMTP issues. I tried adding A, CNAME and MX Records. Nothing works. I have a corresponding Email Address created under the Email Feature that way I’ll have login credentials. Every time I try to connect using my mail.CrypticInteractive.com it said it has “No such host”.

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?
Thanks. I also have Discord if it’ll be easier for you.

Thanks in advance!
You are using cloudflare DNS with that domain not our DirectAdmin hosted DNS. If you wish to utilize our full DNS you would need to turn cloudflare off and let your hosting handle all DNS.

If you still wish to use Cloudflare and only use our DNS for your mail you may do that by setting up custom DNS records within your DA and Cloudflare.

This post may help understand more : https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/cloudflare-and-e-mail.55209/

You will basically need your MX records pointing at the proper A record of your IP from your DirectAdmin hosting. So setting up an MX record that points to mail.yourdomain.com and making sure mail.yourdomains.com has an A record of your IP from your web hosting.

Last edited:

wooprapp

Reaction score
You are using cloudflare DNS with that domain now our DirectAdmin hosted DNS. If you wish to utilize our full DNS you would need to turn cloudflare off and let your hosting handle all DNS.

If you still wish to use Cloudflare and only use our DNS for your mail you may do that by setting up custom DNS records within your DA and Cloudflare.

This post may help understand more : https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/cloudflare-and-e-mail.55209/

You will basically need your MX records pointing at the proper A record of your IP from your DirectAdmin hosting. So setting up an MX record that points to mail.yourdomain.com and making sure mail.yourdomains.com has an A record of your IP from your web hosting.
I do though. As far as I’m aware. Also, any advice on fixing the “this domain failed authentication” error message while sending via x10 RoundCube?

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can provide a screenshot of that error I may be able to assist. However if the email is not sending totally via the same domain it will certainly be due to a DNS issue.

Using several DNS tools I do not see you using any of our DNS records with that domain at this time.

wooprapp

Reaction score
If you can provide a screenshot of that error I may be able to assist. However if the email is not sending totally via the same domain it will certainly be due to a DNS issue.

Using several DNS tools I do not see you using any of our DNS records with that domain at this time.
I’ll try these now and update you when I’m finished. I was feeling stressed so I probably screwed it up a little when I was last on the computer. Thanks so much!

wooprapp

Reaction score

So, I just did all that and this is the result:
BC2ttWO.png

I have both DNSs the same so they should work together now.
Would I login with my x10 username or my email address as the username?

wooprapp

Reaction score
I got it connecting now, but it shows this error "ERROR: An error occurred while attempting to establish an SSL or TLS connection."; it'll only connect via insecure. Any advice on fixing that?

Tip: I did what you said (was the solution) and I needed to disable "Proxy" on the Records on Cloudflare.

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got it connecting now, but it shows this error "ERROR: An error occurred while attempting to establish an SSL or TLS connection."; it'll only connect via insecure. Any advice on fixing that?

Tip: I did what you said (was the solution) and I needed to disable "Proxy" on the Records on Cloudflare.
That may be a DNS issue again that has not updated. The fact you can connect now does indicate you are making progress.

wooprapp

Reaction score
That may be a DNS issue again that has not updated. The fact you can connect now does indicate you are making progress.
I see IMAP says I should use mail.crypticinteractive.com and SMTP says I should use smtp.crypticinteractive.com; it‘ll work the inbound and outbound- but not both from my mail client. I’m confused.

My x10 dash says they’re both mail.crypticinteractive.com; how should I do it?

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see IMAP says I should use mail.crypticinteractive.com and SMTP says I should use smtp.crypticinteractive.com; it‘ll work the inbound and outbound- but not both from my mail client. I’m confused.

My x10 dash says they’re both mail.crypticinteractive.com; how should I do it?
You should be able to use mail. if that is the MX record you setup to be used with your IP A record here.

wooprapp

Reaction score
You should be able to use mail. if that is the MX record you setup to be used with your IP A record here.
Hey buddy, I got it to log in via iPhone Mail app but it’s like the protos are messed up or something. Sometimes it’ll only send, sometimes it’ll only receive and tools say its connecting correctly and everything; I even get test SMTPs. But, when it comes from my x10 PHP Scripts it says it has an authentication issue and may be spoofed.

However, on another note when I try to access my FTP using the Domain’s Credentials it refuses to connect all together.

Maybe something is wrong with my account?
I’ve been driving myself crazy trying to get these two Tools to work and it’s starting to seem impossible. They’re “working” but… They’re not working? Doesn’t make sense. I even reduced all my TTLs to 0 as a devMode. Hmmm…

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
When your site goes through CloudFlare cache servers, it will not work to have your own domain as the host on ftp (it would try to connect the cache server of CloudFlare as that's where the domain points).

Try using the server url for host in FTP. Optionally create a subdomain ftp.domainname.com which is set to bypass cloudflare (was a while since I tested cloudflare, but there should be an option for setting certain domains to not be cached).

The same problem would apply to using mail.domainname.com for accessing email in your mail client without having that set to bypass, your mail client will try to login on the CloudFlare server. In this case using the server url would also work as an option though.

It was the small details as above that steered me from using CloudFlare.

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey buddy, I got it to log in via iPhone Mail app but it’s like the protos are messed up or something. Sometimes it’ll only send, sometimes it’ll only receive and tools say its connecting correctly and everything; I even get test SMTPs. But, when it comes from my x10 PHP Scripts it says it has an authentication issue and may be spoofed.

However, on another note when I try to access my FTP using the Domain’s Credentials it refuses to connect all together.

Maybe something is wrong with my account?
I’ve been driving myself crazy trying to get these two Tools to work and it’s starting to seem impossible. They’re “working” but… They’re not working? Doesn’t make sense. I even reduced all my TTLs to 0 as a devMode. Hmmm…
You should be able to use your sites shared IP for FTP host. Yours should be : 198.91.81.14

Ana hit the nail on the head as for the issue you are having connecting to the mail and other issues.

wooprapp

Reaction score
When your site goes through CloudFlare cache servers, it will not work to have your own domain as the host on ftp (it would try to connect the cache server of CloudFlare as that's where the domain points).

Try using the server url for host in FTP. Optionally create a subdomain ftp.domainname.com which is set to bypass cloudflare (was a while since I tested cloudflare, but there should be an option for setting certain domains to not be cached).

The same problem would apply to using mail.domainname.com for accessing email in your mail client without having that set to bypass, your mail client will try to login on the CloudFlare server. In this case using the server url would also work as an option though.

It was the small details as above that steered me from using CloudFlare.
That would be such a waste of subdomains on a free plan thought. Yes, CF does have a Cache Avoidance feature; I could try that. That idea you mentioned is actually pretty brilliant though.

I posted this on the Discord Request for Support:
“Can an admin help me solve an SSL/TLS/FTP issue? I have a Custom Hostname in my SSL/TLS and it’s setup under my DirectAdmin so is my CA- but when I go to login over FTP it says login failed error “530” and still tries to issue the x14 server cert. This issue lays inside my SMTP issue too; my SMTP only works if I use it with no SSL or TLS but when me and my server send emails they’re encrypted by the SSL/TLS.

Any idea what’s going on? I can’t figure it out. I have DirectAdmin and Cloudflare in “conjunction” with everything. Doesn’t make sense.”

^Thats what my current issue is now.
I’m trying to polish off a authentic end-to-end communications so I know my data can be secured for my users; that way when I let them use Cloud Services, Websites, Emails, etc. they can go through my domain and not an IP Address or a Sub-Domain from a 3rd Party.

Thanks in advance!