So far, so good...

phoebex2

Reaction score
Okay, I've given it a couple of days, and although I don't have much of a site built yet I'm satisfied with the service.

I was a good little person and waited out the CGI default page thing, which took less than 6 hours to be resolved (as opposed to the 24-48 hours I was told to expect), cPanel hasn't exploded on me, there's no problem with any of the functions I've tried out, and so forth.

As far as the forum goes, I found answers to all of my questions without having to ask anyone anything, I like the staff and how even as volunteers working on it all in their free time they actually seem to care, and the amount of real knowledge being shared here far exceeds that which I've found on other free hosting forums.

I learned a long time ago that most of the problems I had with websites and hosting were due to my own combined ignorance and impatience, and seeing how patient the staff and other members are with people who are the way I once was is also reassuring. It's one of the hallmarks of a real community, that the people who help maintain it have the experience to not only provide help and information, but are also able to be friendly about it.

If my site actually goes anywhere I may look into the paid hosting here, as it's far less expensive than some others out there and the free hosting is better so far than a few paid hosts I've had to deal with in the past. Things work, people care, and for once in my life I haven't even had to face a nerd rush upon joining a forum.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to being right about my first impressions with your hosting service!

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind feedback. This is what I like to hear and see.

I come from a time with x10Hosting when the forums were very active, and we had a crazy IRC server going on. People were everywhere, and everything was happening all at once.

It seems to be slower now, and that's not a bad thing. It's good to have users like you joining us :)

Pop by on IRC sometime! I'm pretty much idling there all the time (though, my name is Neil on IRC)

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
You'll get a complimentary pen.

upload_2014-2-3_20-34-38.png

phoebex2

Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Then I can write a fancy signature like yours!

Oh boy! I can't wait!

Actually, I checked out the IRC a little yesterday, once leafypiggy clued me in on the obvious, i.e. that the channel I wanted just might be named after the site it's for...

Yeah, I couldn't figure it out on my own. I never said I was good at figuring out obvious things...

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It was animated frame by frame in Paint.net then imported in to the awesome Jasc Animation Shop. I still have Paint Shop Pro 8 that it came with (but not installed any more), which was fairly pricey (for me, anyway) way back then...

So you're the part-Asian Ninja? (I joined shortly after you disconnected.)

upload_2014-2-16_21-37-21.png

phoebex2

Reaction score
Yes, Kowalski. The immigration guy couldn't spell Kawasaki.

Actually, I do have a non-asian last name, but it's not Kowalski (my mother married an American, though they don't really speak to each other anymore). I just like having some modicum of privacy on the internet. My family is a bit weird about me talking to people on the internet, and knowing me the way they do, I'm sure a lot of it is fear of embarrassment or that I might disgrace the family or something. I'm sure having previously had a blog where I ranted about them, and having it found, didn't help.

I just like being able to speak my mind without being criticized by the ones I have to live with... And I like making fun of myself and my crazy upbringing, it helps me to not be too depressed over it all, and others enjoy it.

As far as the hosting goes, I'm still liking it, though I haven't done much with it for over a week. I did a Wordpress install and experimented with the http error/image upload problem, fixed it with the plugin, etc., so as to have a better understanding. I figure this helps when someone comes along having the same problem, me actually knowing something about it.

And I'm still developing my site scripts, on my local machine, so there may be a script update sometime soon.

Either way, it would all be a lot harder without the hosting, so yeah, I'm grateful for it.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Kawasaki + being a ninja...
Well, that can only mean one thing!
2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-RS.jpg

bluemoun

Reaction score
hi phoebex2.
tell me how you installed wordpress as it does not seem to work for me..
thx

longbich

Reaction score
Okay I know I haven't been anywhere for a month. I have been here and I have been checking in almost once each week but today i got The Message!
"
We are sending you this email to remind you to visit the x10Hosting Account Portal.

Visiting the Account Portal once per month is a requirement to keep your hosting account active.

All that we require is that you access the portal while authenticated.

The portal may be accessed here: https://x10hosting.com/portal/"
If I can post then I have visited x10 and more than just visited. I have logged in.
What's going on?

longbich

Reaction score
Did you use the above link?
I logged in and went through to the Community Forums and I have posts ion a couple of the threads. I am not sure which site I accessed through but I was on line and logged in almost every other week.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That doesn't answer the question you were asked. It is possible to log into just the forum. Did you log into the single sign-on portal? That's the only thing that counts as "activity".

longbich

Reaction score
I tried to answer. I had about 4 sites to log onto x10. I have now rid my Bookmarks of all except this one. Where does it tell anyone that THIS is the only access point. If someone goes to the site from somewhere else and there is a log in, sign in, password point then most folks would believe that they have actually logged in.
What's with the ambiguity?
If you log in you are logged in.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, among other places, it's in the Terms of Service. And changes to the system have been posted as they've occurred in the service areas of the forum (News and Announcements, Useful Information). The reason for the portal is because there are several independent systems (on different domains) involved.

longbich

Reaction score
Okay essellar. Thank you for your explanation. I think I have the right access point now. Really ...who reads the T&S stuff? Ever?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay essellar. Thank you for your explanation. I think I have the right access point now. Really ...who reads the T&S stuff? Ever?
People who don't want to perjure themselves?

2014-03-16_1707.png

Yes, you agreed when you signed up that you read and accept the terms of service. If you don't read legal documents, you're going to get yourself into a lot of trouble.