So.. What does everyone want to do / do for a career?

What is your career / future career?

• Computing based

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Clerical (Administration)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medical (Doctor/Surgeon/Midwife/Nursing)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emergency Services (Police/Fire/Paramedic/EMT)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Live off the Government

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other (Post Details)

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

warlordste

Reaction score
i wanna become a network manager lol and wooo passed me it esstials 2 today and started me ccna another step on the long road to becoming a network manager :)

ViriiGuy

Reaction score
I am a 16 year veteran Network Admin/Systems Admin, currently managing 14 AD Domains, 3 Netware Networks and 2 VAX Servers for 15 clients.

jsobeck

Reaction score
I'll be doing either live sound engineering (working those giant sound boards you see at concerts), recording, or a combination of the two.

kkenny

Reaction score
What I do right now is work at a starbucks/jamba juice fusion place, that is in a movie theather, and i like working here because you can work at a movie theather, than starbucks then jamba juice, you have the option of workin at taco bell/bugerking (they also in the theather) but i dont like touching frozen meat ><

Xemnas

Reaction score
I was considering an IT career, but I'm failing Maths B so I'll probably try something else. Like writing novels ;)

firesteel

Reaction score
I was considering an IT career, but I'm failing Maths B so I'll probably try something else. Like writing novels ;)

I have never used differential or integral calculus or analysis since I took those classes years ago. Good thing too, I narrowly got through by the skin of my teeth. Don't give up so easily.

Come to think of it, I've never used a quadratic function after I finished my schooling either. BUT I have enjoyed numerous books written by both well known and not so well known authors many times since then. The more I think about it, you sound like a winner no matter what choice you make. :biggrin:

kkenny

Reaction score
I have never used differential or integral calculus or analysis since I took those classes years ago. Good thing too, I narrowly got through by the skin of my teeth. Don't give up so easily.

Come to think of it, I've never used a quadratic function after I finished my schooling either. BUT I have enjoyed numerous books written by both well known and not so well known authors many times since then. The more I think about it, you sound like a winner no matter what choice you make. :biggrin:

Does that choice include working at McDonalds flipping burgers and saying "May I take your order?"

firesteel

Reaction score
Does that choice include working at McDonalds flipping burgers and saying "May I take your order?"

Dave Eggers
never finished college, and I must admit I am unaware if he ever flipped burgers at McDonald's. He did, however, choose to follow his dream, and become a writer. His life was not easy by any stretch of the imagination, yet he persevered and ultimately his book, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, was published. His book was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in the early part of this century. It's one hell of a fine read, and one everyone of all generations would enjoy . . . even if you dislike reading. In a word, it chronicles his life raising his younger siblings after their parents died of cancer.

Today, he has several books, publishing credits, and is in high demand as a public speaker, undoubtedly earning more than most individuals with a college degree.

Admittedly, he's a recent single example of someone who struggled with education, yet made a success of himself against the odds. Not everyone with secondary, or post secondary educations "makes" it either. But to equate Xemnas' difficulties in school with a life doomed to failure flipping hamburgers, does him and anyone else who decides to choose an alternate path in life a huge disservice.

It's not very nice either, IMHO, but then this is Off Topic. :cool:

Last edited:

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
The only problem I see with being an IT is that in the future, they will all be outsourced to areas such as India and China. I mean look at the help support for many major companies such as Dell, Microsoft, HP, Sony, Linksys, Cisco, Canon, Nikon, and many other major companies. There help call number is directed to a call base in India, and you can tell because of the accent.

Not only that, but the place where many of my older friends work, if their computer has problems, they call this 24/7 helpline to help them, and it's in india. (The companies I'm talking about are Yahoo, Google, Sun Microsystems, etc,.)

Exactly. Which is why I'm going to go into the Emergency Services - They cannot really be outsourced (Road crews anyway) and so the job is partially protected also through financial crisises, and other situations the country goes through. You can never do without Fire fighters.

Last edited:

mattura

Reaction score
Military. Or Air traffic control. I have the aptitude.

I want to get out of computing as soon as possible! People keep asking me to fix their computer!!!

azntechguy

Reaction score
I'll be living off the government and off your tax paying dollars...

I've been teaching Chemistry in high schools on a part-time basis for three years and will likely become a full-time teacher once I graduate from college.

In a public school, I might add.

Last edited:

Jordan C

Reaction score
Maybe web design or programming. It's quite a while away til I have to even start thinking about these things anyway.