Social Networking and Video Hosting

anildhan45664

Reaction score
Hi i am new here. well i will get directly to the point. I wanted to host a social networking site, since i dont hav any knowledge in php, or mysql(jst basic), i am using the ready made scripts provided. Well i have narrowed my choice to two free scripts Dolphin, and jcow.Well i am using a free account in x10 so no shell acces, or ffmpeg support for me..So i was first of all wondering , which Script do you think i should go for to make a social network cum Video hosting site? And secondly, i was wondering since i dont hav any ffmpeg support in my free account, is der any way i can host my account in the same account(x10 -free) and get all the video transcoding done in any other way, which could be used for my scripts available in the x10 site? Please any help would be appreciated.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not familiar with Dolphin or jcow but have some experience of the x10 free hosting servers.

They are not entirely suitable for the purpose being worked heavily by other users so can be rather slow and sometimes unresponsive at times. Admin also does come down hard on anybody abusing server resources. There's also the small hiccup that video files are rather large and so these would eat up your monthly traffic allowence fairly quickly.

Other problems...
1.the hosting servers built in email function is unable to send messages to yahoo and hotmail accounts
2.existing social networking sites such as FaceBook will not permit direct links to x10 sub-domains

Probably better to run the the site from server at home, any old PC should be up to the task.

dstravelwriter51

Reaction score
Not familiar with Dolphin or jcow but have some experience of the x10 free hosting servers.

They are not entirely suitable for the purpose being worked heavily by other users so can be rather slow and sometimes unresponsive at times. Admin also does come down hard on anybody abusing server resources. There's also the small hiccup that video files are rather large and so these would eat up your monthly traffic allowence fairly quickly.

Other problems...
1.the hosting servers built in email function is unable to send messages to yahoo and hotmail accounts
2.existing social networking sites such as FaceBook will not permit direct links to x10 sub-domains

Probably better to run the the site from server at home, any old PC should be up to the task.

I'd like to respond with some updated information:

• I use an unverified (as in SMS verification) account on Facebook, and have no trouble whatsoever directly linking to my X10.MX website.
  • I've had no difficulty sending email to my Yahoo Mail account, and none of the Hotmail emails I sent to my Hotmail email account have been flagged as junk.
  • I'd like to know what's up on your side of the line? How come you cannot get Yahoo and Hotmail to work with your site, and how come your FB account does not permit direct linking? I have no problem with either issue....

As for the question at hand (best social networking and video hosting), I've tried Oxwall through the Wall FM website, and it works fine (not sure about working or no on x10 though). I've tried JCow. Works like a charm on X10. Elgg sort of failed on me, but reading the dev docs told me I messed up on install variable selection.

Vidiscript is nice, and works fine (used it on a former account but I don't use that hosting account anymore) but Clipbucket epic-failed my rigorous usage tests.

I won't answer the "which is best" question (I think whomever asks needs to make up their own mind; I refuse to impose my beliefs and preferences on another for sake of altruism) so I hope my experience will lead to more informed install and usage choices.

Thanks for reading!

Blessed be.