Some known tricks

greeting

Reaction score
Hide/Lock ur Hard drives

Open Registry (go to run command, type "regedit" and press enter)

then go to this key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

now right click in right side pane and create DWORD Value (blue color)

Rename it as "NoViewOnDrive" (for locking drive)
or
Rename it as "NoDrives" (for Hiding drive)

double click on it and put some numbers to lock ur desired Drive and click ok.

DRIVE NOS.
FOR A : 1
FOR C : 4
FOR D : 8
FOR E : 16
FOR F : 32
FOR G : 64
FOR H : 128

finally restart or log-off the computer to take effect.

Keep in mind that "0" is Default Value to Disable or remove this setting..
After locking the drive when u try to open it, u will see a msgbox like this
"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator"

Add "copy to" and "move to" options in right click(XP)

It is hard to move or copy a file/s or folder/s to specific location. There is a option called

"Send to" on context menu but it has some limitation. You can send content through it just few

locations like.. My Documents, Floppy Disk etc. If You can add "Copy to" and "Move to" options

on Right click(context menu) then it will increase your file/folder transfer facility. You can

Copy and Move your content anywhere on your machine through Right click(context menu). I have

described a registry trick following here.

Copy-paste following text in notepad and save it with .reg extension. Then just merge/run it.

You will get 2 new options on your Right click(context menu).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex \ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex \ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex \ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

Download Enable 'Copy/Move To' Registry
File:http://rapidshare.com/files/111539592/Enable_CopyTo_MoveTo.reg

Download Disable 'Copy/Move To' Registry
File:http://rapidshare.com/files/111539517/Disable_CopyTo_MoveTo.reg

INTERNET EXPLORER & IMPRESS UR FRIENDS

This is not a big trick
Just for timepass

Go to start->run
Type regedit
press enter
in registry editor go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Microsoft->Internet explorer->main
there u will find something like "Windows Title"{if it's not der den create new string and

name it as Window Title}
double click on that and change the value data with anything u want
and click ok
press F5
restart ur internet explorer
see the title of it

Hidden Programs In Windows XP !

Programs :

1. Private Character Editor :

Used for editing fonts,etc.
** start>>Run
** Now, type eudcedit

2. Dr. Watson :

This an inbuilt windows repairing software !
** start>>Run
** Now, type drwtsn32

3. Media Player 5.1 :

Even if you upgrade your Media Player, you can still access your old player in case the new

one fails !!!
** start>>Run
** Now, type mplay32

4. iExpress :

Used to create SetupsYou can create your own installers !
** start>>Run
** Now, type iexpress

HIDDEN MUSIC

Microsoft Windows XP is playing a cool music during installation. It is a pleasant little tune

that you’ve probably never heard, unless you were present when Windows was being installed on

your PC. After that it’s never played again, unless you know where to look for it.

To hear what you’ve been missing, just follow these:

Make you way to C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\images and look for a file called "Title.wma" or

possibly "Windows welcome music.wma".

It is around 2.56Mb in size. Just double click the file and this will open Windows Media

Player, or your defaul player and it will proceed to serenade you with a more than 5 minutes

music. It's up to you to repeat it.CooL!!!

Make a folder invisible (good one)

Make the folder INVISIBLE without hiding
Make your folders invicible…:)

1)Right Click on the desktop.Make a new folder

2)Now rename the folder with a space(U have to hold ALT key and type 0160).

3)Now u have a folder with out a name.

4)Right click on the folder>properties>customize. Click on change icon.

5)Scroll a bit, u should find some empty spaces, Click on any one of them.click ok Thats it,now u can store ur personal data without any 3rd party tools

CONVERT A 512 MB duo/produo/MMC CARD TO 640 MB

I guess it works for duo/produo/mmc cards.

Principle:--Your files in duo/produo/MMC is stored in multiple (disk) blocks.
So if you format using 16K block, the space used will be 16K eventhough your file is just 1K.
If you buy DUO/PRO-DUO, it is usually preformatted with 16K block. Therefore a lot of space is wasted as most installed program files are usually less than 2K.

ProCeDure:--
You will need a card reader to do this:-
edit:u can also do it by connecting u r phone via usb

1. Connect card reader and copy all your files in the memory card to computer disk.
(Make sure you set the show all/hidden/os files to "on")
2. Do a format of the memory card using command line "format" and use the /A=size option.
Alternative, you can use the Disk Management in Adminstrative Tools to format.
Make sure you select FAT16. For 256MB memory card, smallest block you can use is 4K, 128MB is 2K, 64Mb is 1K and 32MB is 512B.

(Note: You cannot use the phone "format ext.mem" to do this as the format just clear the allocation table and does not change the block size)

3. Copy back all files to memory card.

Now you will find that you will have more space.

For those who have problem with command line format::

Just use the Disk Managament to format

1. Goto Start->control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer management->Disk management
2. Select your memory card/usb drive. Right-click and select "Format"
3. Select "FAT". Choose Allocation size. For 256Mb MMC select 4K, 128Mb MMC select 2K, 64Mb MMC select 1K and 32Mb MMC select 512B

If i have missed any trick or if you have got a trick to share, feel free to post it......

Note :Kindly take a backup of your *reg file before attempting tricks related to Registry file.

like2program

Reaction score
Thanks for the hidden folder one!

Edit:
I am going to kill you. How the HECK do I delete the hidden folder??
Widows won't delete it because it has to what it appears as no name. A space is not good enough for deletion and renaming a space doesn't work...

Edit:
Sorry for the double post

Last edited:

Zdroyd

Reaction score

Make your folders invicible…:)

5)Scroll a bit, u should find some empty spaces, Click on any one of them.click ok Thats it,now u can store ur personal data without any 3rd party tools

Nice... BUT: It will only work on really stupid people (like my parents) because all someone would have to do to find it is to click and drag across the whole screen, which would select it and make it visible. And then they could simply remember where it is and vula! They have found it!

But its still a cool trick!

Zangetsu

Reaction score

I guess it works for duo/produo/mmc cards.

Principle:--Your files in duo/produo/MMC is stored in multiple (disk) blocks.
So if you format using 16K block, the space used will be 16K eventhough your file is just 1K.
If you buy DUO/PRO-DUO, it is usually preformatted with 16K block. Therefore a lot of space is wasted as most installed program files are usually less than 2K.

ProCeDure:--
You will need a card reader to do this:-
edit:u can also do it by connecting u r phone via usb

1. Connect card reader and copy all your files in the memory card to computer disk.
(Make sure you set the show all/hidden/os files to "on")
2. Do a format of the memory card using command line "format" and use the /A=size option.
Alternative, you can use the Disk Management in Adminstrative Tools to format.
Make sure you select FAT16. For 256MB memory card, smallest block you can use is 4K, 128MB is 2K, 64Mb is 1K and 32MB is 512B.

(Note: You cannot use the phone "format ext.mem" to do this as the format just clear the allocation table and does not change the block size)

3. Copy back all files to memory card.

Now you will find that you will have more space.

For those who have problem with command line format::

Just use the Disk Managament to format

1. Goto Start->control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer management->Disk management
2. Select your memory card/usb drive. Right-click and select "Format"
3. Select "FAT". Choose Allocation size. For 256Mb MMC select 4K, 128Mb MMC select 2K, 64Mb MMC select 1K and 32Mb MMC select 512B

If i have missed any trick or if you have got a trick to share, feel free to post it......

Note :Kindly take a backup of your *reg file before attempting tricks related to Registry file.

that doesnt work you can never make a drive bigger then it already is ive tried it and it doesnt work

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hi greeting,

I knew all of those, but they're still pretty useful I guess. A good one to add would be 'msconfig.exe', it's a really useful application that allows you to control startup applications (really useful for noobs that install loads of applications that sit around taking up system resources when they're never used). To launch it, click the Start button, then click Run... if you're an XP user, just use the search box if you're a Vista user. Type 'msconfig.exe' and hit enter. This program is a Microsoft application bundled with Windows. Should be better advertised in my opinion, really useful tool.

that doesnt work you can never make a drive bigger then it already is ive tried it and it doesnt work

You can't make the physical limits of the disks any larger, but sometimes Windows might format disks wrong and waste some space on the drive.

Everyone else, unless you know enough about computers and Windows to fix things if they go wrong, I'd advise you to avoid editing the registry. The registry stores a lot of pointless temporary stuff, but it also keeps track of important parts of Windows that can be rather temperamental at times. As I said, avoid editing the registry unless you're certain you know what you're doing.

-Luke.

Last edited:

like2program

Reaction score

Make your folders invicible…

To delete the folder you must rename it first.
I renamed it under 7-zip because windows won't do it.
After naming it "ifthisdoesntworkiwillkillgreetingwithanaxe" I simply deleted the folder.
Voila.

Whatever you do don't make this folder unless you have 7-zip to rename it.
Windows just doesn't know what to do with it.

Last edited:

greeting

Reaction score
After naming it "ifthisdoesntworkiwillkillgreetingwithanaxe" I simply deleted the folder.
Voila.

Thanks.

marshian

Reaction score
Voila.

Indeed, it works perfectly with 7-Zip file manager. As usual, it takes GNU to solve the problems Microsoft can't handle...
7-Zip website: http://www.7-zip.org/
You don't have to download it just for this, download it for the great and fast compressing and decompressing too ^^

warlordste

Reaction score
lol some cool tricks like the reg edit ones i change mine when am realli bored and have nothing to do lol

greeting

Reaction score
Funny Computer Trick

Check out these funny trick.

Copy and paste the java script code to the address bar of your browser

javascript:function Shw(n) {if (self.moveBy) {for (i = 35; i > 0; i--) {for (j = n; j > 0; j--) {self.moveBy(1,i);self.moveBy(i,0);self.moveBy(0,-i);self.moveBy(-i,0); } } }} Shw(6)

2: Press enter and watch your window's "shaking it". You can change the value of i if you wish :)

Find who is Invisible on Yahoo messenger

Sometimes some of your friends who appear offline in yahoo messenger may not be actually offline, they may in the 'Invisible' mode. This maybe if they are trying to ignore you or are too busy to talk to anyone.

There is this small trick that you can use to find out what the truth is.

Firstly open your yahoo messenger main window and double click on the name of the person whom you want to check. The chat window will open obviously.

Click IMVironment button, select See all IMVironments, select Yahoo! Tools or Interactive Fun, and click on Doodle.
After loading the Doodle imvironment there can be two possibilities

1.If the user is offline Doodle are will show this "waiting for your friend to load Doodle" continuously .See in the picture below:

2. If the user is online (but in invisible mode), after few seconds (it can take up to one minute, depending on your connection speed), you should get a blank page like in the picture below. So you know that the user is online.

Multiple login in yahoo Without Using any Software

You can login with multiple id's on the same yahoo messenger without any download or patch .
Follow these steps :

1. Go to Start ----> Run . Type regedit, then enter .

2.Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER --------> Software --->yahoo ----->pager---->Test

3.On the right page , right-click and choose new Dword value .

4.Rename it as Plural.

5.Double click and assign a decimal value of 1.

Its done!!
Now close registry and restart yahoo messenger and try Multiple Login

CHANGE YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEO TO HIGH RESOLUTION

Youtube, we know that it is one of the best video sharing site with thousands of videos uploaded. The videos which are available which are low resolution ones just because of the fact catering to low bandwidth.

If you have high bandwidth why now go for the high resolution one just in matter of steps.

In general the youtube gives the low resolution 320×240 videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx16P686O4&feature=related

Just add, &fmt=6 at the end of the url.

say, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx16P686O4&feature=related&fmt=6

Now check the resolution and feel the difference.

Then add &fmt=18 at the end of the url
say, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx16P686O4&feature=related&fmt=18

Now the video will play with high resolution 480×360 MP4 high bandwidth videos with better audio quality.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
CHANGE YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEO TO HIGH RESOLUTION

Youtube, we know that it is one of the best video sharing site with thousands of videos uploaded. The videos which are available which are low resolution ones just because of the fact catering to low bandwidth.

If you have high bandwidth why now go for the high resolution one just in matter of steps.

In general the youtube gives the low resolution 320×240 videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx16P686O4&feature=related

Just add, &fmt=6 at the end of the url.

say, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx16P686O4&feature=related&fmt=6

Now check the resolution and feel the difference.

Then add &fmt=18 at the end of the url
say, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx16P686O4&feature=related&fmt=18

Now the video will play with high resolution 480×360 MP4 high bandwidth videos with better audio quality.

That's not a computer trick or hack, it's part of a major update to the YouTube site. Some videos will now have a link to view them in high quality. Don't really get the point to be honest, seems like a total waste of bandwidth and money for an already not-really-profitable service as it is. I suppose it might be useful for screencasts, but other than that you'd never need it.

-Luke.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice posts, some of those tips and tricks are quite cool. I might use the one about hiding the hard drive, i take it that's what most schools use to prevent users access to the C Drive, well i know at the current school i am at they block access to it, as users like to place viruses on the computers.

greeting

Reaction score
Nice posts, some of those tips and tricks are quite cool. I might use the one about hiding the hard drive, i take it that's what most schools use to prevent users access to the C Drive, well i know at the current school i am at they block access to it, as users like to place viruses on the computers.

wow....!

RedhedProductions

Reaction score
Same, but we simply have to create a shortcut to "C://" to get there.

But then we get a message from Ferdinand and we get logged out and banned for a week. This only happens about a minute or two after you access it, as it has to manually check it.

Oh, Ferdinand is the automated system. Yes, the school is so sad as to name everything after Shakespeare.

Ferdinand : Automated system
Miranda : Library Network Terminus
Beast : Network name

How stupid.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Nah, short cut doesn't work anymore. I told them.

They NEVER caught me when I went into C://and nicked all the fonts :)

Daniel S

Reaction score
These are goo tricks to use. I like the hidden folder one the best, I know you can easily find it my selecting the whole screen.

-comphelp