Some questions before buying a vps

gangoos88

Reaction score
Hello,

after couple of confusing weeks i decided to buy a vps for my site..
but one thing i did not understand..
you offer cpanel for free, even in free hosting..
then why not offer it for free in vps?

please clear this out..

Thank you..

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
maybe because the cPanel they offer in free hosting is licensed to x10hosting and the cPanel for your vps need to be licensed to you.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

there is another control panel which is completely free. it is webmin

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
cPanel is /very/ expensive software, which is why we do not offer free licenses for our VPSs. We are able to offer it on our free hosting because it is a feature that is highly requested, and is basically industry standard for hosting companies.

We do not make cPanel, which is why you must/do purchase the license through us to use cPanel. It also (on our VPS plans) is a "managed" plan, which means that we'll compile and install Apache, PHP, and mySQL for you - something that you'd have to do on your own otherwise, and something we do because cPanel is a pain to configure on your own.

ChatIndia is right, webmin is a free alternative, and can be combined with Usermin to give a similar experience to that of cPanel.. but it's still not cPanel.

gangoos88

Reaction score
maybe because the cPanel they offer in free hosting is licensed to x10hosting and the cPanel for your vps need to be licensed to you.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

there is another control panel which is completely free. it is webmin

well, if you want you can keep the cpanel license to you, and give me the opportunity to use it..(like you do in free or premium hosting)

do you mean the Free LXA\Kloxo Control Panel ?

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

cPanel is /very/ expensive software, which is why we do not offer free licenses for our VPSs. We are able to offer it on our free hosting because it is a feature that is highly requested, and is basically industry standard for hosting companies.

We do not make cPanel, which is why you must/do purchase the license through us to use cPanel. It also (on our VPS plans) is a "managed" plan, which means that we'll compile and install Apache, PHP, and mySQL for you - something that you'd have to do on your own otherwise, and something we do because cPanel is a pain to configure on your own.

ChatIndia is right, webmin is a free alternative, and can be combined with Usermin to give a similar experience to that of cPanel.. but it's still not cPanel.

That means i have to install all the basic softwares for myself in self managed plan?

but here ( http://x10vps.com/self-managed-vps.php) it said that

"Free LXA\Kloxo Control Panel

We offer a pre-installed template for free within your VPS control panel. Just reload your VPS to this template and be hosting websites in no time." (in below)

Guys..i just want to host couple of my sites and i need vps because i need much power than premium..

i really confused to choose a right hosting solution for this so please dont confuse me anymore.... :(

This is only my need..not any reselling nothing..

so please help me.if you can..

Thanks..

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
sorry, i don't have a cPanel license. You can get one from x10hosting by paying $9.95 monthly. But believe me you'd love to set it up without cPanel.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Okay, they provide you a ready to use "hard disk space". Now operating system and program is up to you.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
@OP:

We have a template that you can load onto your VPS that has Apache, mysql, and php already installed on it, as well as lxadmin.

In this case, you wouldn't need to configure anything or install any software - you'd still need to manage it though.

Administering a VPS/Dedicated server is a LOT of work.

gangoos88

Reaction score
wow..that sounds good..

it's included in self-managed plan right?

and after installing that template can i further update or install any software?

like if i want to update my php version or want to install perl,,can i do it?

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

and another question....

i want to use mail in outlook..specially in my phone..

i can do it by cPanel now..

but without cPanel will it b possible?

i mean with the help of kloxo or any other software?

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

@India

yea..i would love to have some thrill without cPanel....:)

Last edited:

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
actually installing updates, scripts, uploading files are much more easy in VPS as compared to shared.

In shared hosting I don't have my favorite commands i.e, apt-get and wget

lol

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
A note - apt-get is debian specific, which you won't have on the CentOS 5 template which is the Kloxo/LXA template.

Yes, you can do all that updating and installing through your VPS - but I recommend you get yourself acquainted with using a command line first. There's no GUI on a VPS - you must type commands manually and know what you're doing.

That being said - I don't know if LXA/Kloxo makes this easy to do - But I will actually install them right now on a test server to find out. :)

You would have to install a mail server in order to access your email. Any mail daemon will work, you just have to configure it and make it use imap/pop. It probably won't have an auto-configuration script like cPanel does - but you can configure it manually.

gangoos88

Reaction score
i have normal idea running command lines but server commands are little unfamiliar to me..help me little if i need...ok

ok what is the result? did it worked in the test server?

How to install a mail server in vps? tellme please..

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Ok one question about payment..

if i pay via my card..will it be through the Visa payment gateway?

i mean will the payment process take place in the visa payment site where i have to enter my online banking password.

then the payment will be done..

tellme it..

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
yes, I am only familiar to Ubuntu and Debian. And why would he use CentOS. There are lots more updated article for Ubuntu than CentOS on net.

@gangoos, I also paid via VISA credit card but everything was processed within x10hosting site.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
The Kloxo/LXA template is a CentOS5 template, as Kloxo/LXA only runs on 32 bit versions of CentOS/Red Hat

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
If you're going to go with a VPS and have it unmanaged, you need to understand that x10 is only responsible for keeping it connected to the internet and physically running. This doesn't include installing operating systems, editing settings, and helping with web servers and other random tasks involved with running a VPS.

The managed VPS is a little bit easier to administrate since x10 staff will help install your cPanel and setup nameservers for you, but if you were going to go with a VPS you should think about getting WHM/cPanel. Web Host Manager (WHM) is the actual program BEHIND cPanel that controls all the hosting accounts. When you get a WHM/cPanel license you get both products... WHM is what you see when you manage your server, cPanel is what you see when you manage one of the hosting accounts on your server. You would be able to, directly from WHM, install and update certain perl modules, update mysql, recompile apache and php with EasyApache and it makes running your own server much much simpler. If you're not an advanced user and a linux nerd you might have trouble with doing all command-line server configuration.

The free panels that most people are talking about WORK but again, they normally require a bit more expertise since they are free and don't have the support and popularity that WHM/cPanel has.

Payments are done either through PayPal or processed by credit card through a payment gateway. If you're unsure then just use PayPal. If you use PayPal to pay for your VPS account you will not be charged anything but the price of the panel, the PayPal fees are paid by the seller not the buyer just like credit cards work.

The cheapest unmanaged VPS is 8.95/mo with WHM/cPanel it becomes somewhere around 18.90/mo so it's almost a better deal to buy the managed version which is 28.95/mo and includes simple management of the important necessities like your WHM/cPanel install and a compile of PHP/Apache for you.

Oh and if you don't know why cPanel is free on the free hosting it's because WHM is what costs money, cPanel just comes along with it for people who have an account on your server and in WHM. So since the free servers each have a WHM licesnse they have cPanel, thus people calling it "WHM/cPanel" hope that explains it.

Last edited:

gangoos88

Reaction score
I think you are talking about creating a hosting website like x10 and reselling, which i'm not going to do..i just want to host a site and thats all what i want to do..

Hope it helps ....

Last edited:

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
I think you are talking about creating a hosting website like x10 and reselling, which i'm not going to do..i just want to host a site and thats all what i want to do..

Hope it helps ....

Well I didn't want to down-sell you, but unless your site is extremely busy shared hosting should be fine. What do you need a server for? If it's a personal site/project you will grow and expand before using larger servers. For less than what it would cost to get a VPS for 6 months you can get 3 years of web hosting on http://www.x10premium.com/

Just because you have WHM/cPanel doesn't mean you have to be like x10 or a reseller, it's a convenient way to host your own websites if you have over 5-10 sites you need hosted. I do that, and it works wonderfully.

Last edited:

gangoos88

Reaction score
When i'm going to advertise my site in print or media, tons of users came and the site become unavailable..
well no one wants this..so im looking for little more power..

yeah i also want to host couple of sites (5-10) under my vps..

& what plan do you use? vps?

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

i mean you on vps or shared hosting?

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
I use a http://x10vps.com/self-managed-vps.php, S3 with WHM/cPanel (18.95 + 9.95) so I can easily manage things and set up extra accounts, nameservers, update my packages, and do all my server management from one place. However if you don't want to do the management of WHM/cPanel yourself the managed version http://x10vps.com/managed-vps.php thats the same size (M3) is only 38.95 per month which is only $10 more and you get support. Here's a list of what they cover in managed VPS http://x10vps.com/management.php, remember they DON'T support that stuff on unmanaged servers. You are literally on your own.

Last edited:

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@Jake, is it possible that one buys cPanel license for one month and once everything in setup (like database, email, php) stop paying for it and runs his/her server without a cPanel.

I mean most of the setups are not so frequent. Are you getting the gist? bad english, sorry!

Last edited: