Resolved SSL Certificate Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisownma

Reaction score
Hi there,

my site was fine after some problems setting up a new domain name but it was functioning fine, the last time I checked. When I checked it a little while ago, the padlock had disappeared but Cloudflare was protecting my site. I found this thread: https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/ssl-and-cloudflare.207828/#post-978690

but when I uncheck 'Secure SSL' my site disappears entirely and I get 'Apache is functioning normally'.

I've ran my site through whynopadlock.com and this is what I get:

SSL Certificate Info

Certificate Issuer
Let's Encrypt
Certificate Type
Let's Encrypt Authority X3
Issued On
2020-02-22

Force HTTPS

Your webserver is forcing the use of SSL.

Valid Certificate

Your SSL Certificate is installed correctly.

Domain Matching

Your SSL certificate does not match your domain name!
Protected Domains:
  • x13.x10hosting.com

Signature

Your SSL certificate is using a sha256 signature!

Expiration Date

Your SSL certificate is current. Your SSL certificate expires in 31 days. (2020-05-22)

I was expecting it to say something about Cloudflare and not Let's Encrypt...

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Kieran.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way that CloudFlare will work to protect your site is by setting it up with their proxy service, which means you'd need to use their name servers, so can only be done on custom domains.

If this is about your co.uk domain, it uses our name servers and would thus not be protected by CloudFlare right now.

Your .com domain however appears to be protected by CloudFlare, but since it redirects to the co.uk domain it ends up on the unprotected domain name.

Any domain you want to use with CloudFlare must be added and configured separately.

hisownma

Reaction score
The only way that CloudFlare will work to protect your site is by setting it up with their proxy service, which means you'd need to use their name servers, so can only be done on custom domains.

If this is about your co.uk domain, it uses our name servers and would thus not be protected by CloudFlare right now.

Your .com domain however appears to be protected by CloudFlare, but since it redirects to the co.uk domain it ends up on the unprotected domain name.

Any domain you want to use with CloudFlare must be added and configured separately.

Hi Anna,

thanks for your help, once again :)

Is this something I can do for my .co.uk site from within the DirectAdmin?

Thank you.

Kieran.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
No, to set the domain up with cloudflare you would need to set it up on their site and if you don't already have one you'll need an account there: https://www.cloudflare.com/

Changing the name servers would be done wherever you registered the domain.

Unfortunately there is currently no existing extension for DirectAdmin that intergrates CloudFlare into the control panel so it has to be manually done.

hisownma

Reaction score
No, to set the domain up with cloudflare you would need to set it up on their site and if you don't already have one you'll need an account there: https://www.cloudflare.com/

Changing the name servers would be done wherever you registered the domain.

Unfortunately there is currently no existing extension for DirectAdmin that intergrates CloudFlare into the control panel so it has to be manually done.

Hi Anna,

I've got the Cloudflare account all setup and it was working the last time I checked it. The name servers are all set up too. I haven't changed anything since I last checked the site, which I think was Friday.

Thanks,

Kieran.

hisownma

Reaction score
I see cloudflare name servers on your .com domain, but not on your .co.uk domain, you may want to double check that if are sure that you set it up for the co.uk domain as well.

Looks like the world also see the co.uk domain as using our name servers: https://www.whatsmydns.net/#NS/hisownmancounselling.co.uk

Thanks, Anna. That'll be the problem! I changed the name servers in my Ionos account but it kept coming up with an error, so I phoned their support and they said they'd updated it. It worked fine when I refreshed the browser while I was on the phone to them. I can only assume they changed it back for some reason. I told you they were rubbish! :D

Thanks again for your help. I'll check it in a bit and hopefully, I've got the padlock back. Can you give me an hour or two before marking this one as resolved and I'll check back and let you know it's working?

Thanks,

Kieran.

hisownma

Reaction score
Hi Anna,

thanks for keeping this open. It took a bit of time to update but I've checked it again now and I've got the padlock back.

Thanks again for your help on resolving this problem!

Kieran.

Status
Not open for further replies.